Author Topic: Top-5 NBA prospect Bol Bol out for season at Oregon, will enter draft  (Read 3539 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Re: Top-5 NBA prospect Bol Bol out for season at Oregon, will enter draft
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:59:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ugh, sucks. Tall lanky guys with foot issues are scary
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:26:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Then again, if he drops in the draft he might be available with one of the mid-range Celtic draft picks. He would be worth that sort of gamble.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Just watched highlights of him for the first time = jesus, how is this guy not being talked about more?

7 foot 2 and able to put the ball on the floor and drive, shoot from 3, shoot pull up jumpers. That guy is a monster.

Bol Bol should be talked about as the #1 pick.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Then again, if he drops in the draft he might be available with one of the mid-range Celtic draft picks. He would be worth that sort of gamble.
Very right. Could be a Michael Porter Jr. type situation. I'd 100% take a flyer on him, as long as our doctors give him an all-clear
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Just watched highlights of him for the first time = jesus, how is this guy not being talked about more?

7 foot 2 and able to put the ball on the floor and drive, shoot from 3, shoot pull up jumpers. That guy is a monster.

Or he could be Thon Maker.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:26:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Or he could be Thon Maker.

Thon Maker never showed that comfort creating offense away from the basket outside of High School. Not the same thing.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Guys with the body build of Bol scare the heck out of me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Guys with the body build of Bol scare the heck out of me.

Agreed. But they also make so much sense in today's NBA. And Bol-Squared especially if that ability to switch 2-5 translates.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
No brainer if available at even 6 or 7
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Let's not get carried away. While I would be all for taking a shot at him with one of our late lottery picks because he's got that Porzingis ceiling:

1) He was never going #1. Not with a healthy Zion in the draft.
2) He had a season ending injury. I've read that it's not as serious as Ming's and Embiid's, but nevertheless it's the same type of injury and I'd rather get my initial thoughts from stats rather than spin doctors.
3) While he has a nice long range shot, the guy is a toothpick and an injury risk. People like him have also historically had problems playing in the NBA because you're playing against the best physical specimens in the world (guys with tree trunk legs and arms). He will be pushed all around the paint. You want your big to have a 3 point threat but also be able to do SOMETHING in the paint. His dad was 7'7 and averaged 4.2 boards and was a below average player. Shawn Bradley was 7'6" and averaged 6.3 boards per game and was a below average player. Hell, even Rik Smits (a good player) was average at rebounding (6.1 per game). More recently: Thon Maker. Someone like Embiid would tear him to pieces.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think the more likely scenario is someone will want to move up to get Bolton and DA will be getting a lot of calls on draft night for either the Memphis or Sacramento picks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:33:04 PM by Wretch »

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Watching his video, I just don't see him being much more than Thon Maker impact at best.  Just not athletic like Giannis.  Those are the type of athletes we need to do a better job of scouting. The Giannis's are the future of the NBA. Wonder who the next one will be, and how long we will have to wait.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Let's not get carried away. While I would be all for taking a shot at him with one of our late lottery picks because he's got that Porzingis ceiling:

1) He was never going #1. Not with a healthy Zion in the draft.
2) He had a season ending injury. I've read that it's not as serious as Ming's and Embiid's, but nevertheless it's the same type of injury and I'd rather get my initial thoughts from stats rather than spin doctors.
3) While he has a nice long range shot, the guy is a toothpick and an injury risk. People like him have also historically had problems playing in the NBA because you're playing against the best physical specimens in the world (guys with tree trunk legs and arms). He will be pushed all around the paint. You want your big to have a 3 point threat but also be able to do SOMETHING in the paint. His dad was 7'7 and averaged 4.2 boards and was a below average player. Shawn Bradley was 7'6" and averaged 6.3 boards per game and was a below average player. Hell, even Rik Smits (a good player) was average at rebounding (6.1 per game). More recently: Thon Maker. Someone like Embiid would tear him to pieces.

Well,

1.  I don't think anyone here is thinking of him as a #1 pick.  All that is relevant is whether he's worth taking with one of our 4 picks, which are a lot lower, should he fall to one of them (FWIW: Tankathon's latest mock does have him going to us at #12 with the Memphis pick).
2.  This is why Danny has medical experts.  None of us fans are going to possibly be able to assess his injury and all we can do is trust that Danny's experts make the right call one way or the other.
  a) Genetically, his dad (who was even more of a stick in an era that had far more 'big bruising centers' than today's game) still managed to survive a decade in the NBA.  That's a good sign.  He's also 4-6 years away from reaching his probably peak muscle-mass.
  b) He's a much, MUCH better shooter and ball-handler than his dad.   So he does bring more to the floor than just length.  And he's averaging 11.6 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per 36 in college. So he brings more to the floor than just shooting.

Personally, I like the kid.  He seems to have a great attitude and has been brought up eating and breathing basketball and loves the game.  But I do share trepidation regarding the foot injury.   That is indeed scary.  But then again, all I can do as a fan is trust Danny's medical team.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bummer