Author Topic: IDEA: Rondo to Detroit  (Read 5059 times)

IDEA: Rondo to Detroit
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Sorry if this is a repost. I didn't scour the forums.

I saw this posted and it intrigued me. I'm a huge Rondo fan and I really don't relish the idea of trading him for anything short of an top-10 player. This trade has been thinking though:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=oktnvzv

Getting Drummond, Knight, an expiring and a 2014 1st is a really good offer. I expect a lot of "Detroit would say no" posts but that doesn't bother me. Also I'm not sure they would. They have a stacked front court and basically no PG of note. A lineup of Rondo/Pope/Smith/Bass/Monroe looks a little better to me than Knight/Pope/Smith/Drummond/Monroe. Actually their current lineup reminds me a lot of what we saw in Utah and Atlanta last season. A lot of big talent with little offensive coordination.

Drummond is a freak athlete. I get that. He's put up some good-to-great numbers 5-10 times in NBA games. He's still not an NBA star, though he's certainly on the right track with a per36 of 13/13. Rondo was the starting PG on the all-star team last season before his injury. These two guys are not on the same level, yet. That is why I personally wouldn't trade Rondo for Drummond straight up. When you add in Knight who might end up being a pretty good PG, a 2014 mid-first-round pick and an expiring deal in Stucky...I'm really thinking about it. The only thing that would make it better would be to shed a less than friendly contract...Bass!

I'd do this trade. The problem is that if Drummond doesn't become a dominant player you've stunted this team for a few years. Still, the idea of having three first rounders next year along with AB/Green/Sully/Drummond/KO is really a good start to the next chapter in Celtics history. It would also give us a reason to draft Marcus Smart, a slightly more attainable goal than Mr. Wiggins.

So what do you guys think? Would you move Rondo for that package? Rondo is my favorite NBA player and I'm thinking I would.

Re: IDEA: Rondo to Detroit
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »

Offline The_Pistol

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Detroit wont accept this trade.
they wont let Drummond go anytime soon

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
FYI there is a forum search function - one for "Drummond" would show you the many recent threads discussing Rondo for Drummond (including polls, views from elsewhere on the web and opinions of many posters).

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
FYI there is a forum search function - one for "Drummond" would show you the many recent threads discussing Rondo for Drummond (including polls, views from elsewhere on the web and opinions of many posters).

how many Rondo to Detroit trade threads do we see weekly? Even Rondo for Drummond trade threads?

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

Thanks buddy. Anything to add to the actual topic?

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:04:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They might give up Monroe, but they won't give up Drummmond. He's the second coming of Jesus to the rest of the NBA and Detroit fans.

Size and athleticism with an inclination to rapidly improve is just worth too much to them.
I mean I don't know if we've seen a combination of footspeed/size and explosive power like this ever in the NBA.

Rondo is a great player but you don't trade bigs for smalls and I think it would be a perfect move for them to be a true contender/fringe contender.
Hell I even suggested on the Detroit forums that we give them Rondo AND Green to sweeten the tanking pot for us and they all screamed at how that wouldn't happen in a million years.
It was 78 votes no and 1 vote 'i'd think about about it'.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 03:17:17 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Theres no way Detroit will give up Drummond. Especially on yhis deal where they have to give up Knight too.

Andre Drummond I think is untouchable at this point. Whatever Detroit's direection is moving forward, Drummond is a big piece of that. A big non movable piece.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 05:34:03 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I often see detroit fan downplay this trade but there is presedence for a mutually beneficial all star guard for high upside big man trade.

Though its intriguing to imagine how far a Shaq Chris Webber front court could go, Penny Hardaway delivered a dominant perimeter presence that gave the created a pick your poision scenario with The Big Aristotle. Rondo has a history of dominating ganes when his team mates are being focused upon.

I'd be fine with either Monroe or Drummond but if we can nab the biggest mammoth since Dwight all while creating a sneaky powethouse in Detroit I think you have to do it especially since moving Gerald Wallace sweetens the pot for both teams.

Detroit creates Bad Boy Pistons II while we get to sit back and watch a giant awaken. KO Drummond would be a top 5 front court.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 06:29:14 AM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Detroit fans crack me up. If they don't want to trade Drummond because he has potential that's fine, but they overvalue the their players so much you would think they're a top contender. This is a team that went 29-53 last year, lost Calderon, made a major investment into over-crowding their front court, and one of their stars (Monroe) will demand a HUGE contract by year's end. They can have fun with all that, probably ending up a 7-8th seed/first round exit. I'm pretty sure DA isn't too broken up about having to hold onto one of the top pgs in the NBA.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Detroit fans crack me up. If they don't want to trade Drummond because he has potential that's fine, but they overvalue the their players so much you would think they're a top contender. This is a team that went 29-53 last year, lost Calderon, made a major investment into over-crowding their front court, and one of their stars (Monroe) will demand a HUGE contract by year's end. They can have fun with all that, probably ending up a 7-8th seed/first round exit. I'm pretty sure DA isn't too broken up about having to hold onto one of the top pgs in the NBA.

IMO Detroit fans' imagined trades are no more one-sided than this one.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I often see detroit fan downplay this trade but there is presedence for a mutually beneficial all star guard for high upside big man trade.

Though its intriguing to imagine how far a Shaq Chris Webber front court could go, Penny Hardaway delivered a dominant perimeter presence that gave the created a pick your poision scenario with The Big Aristotle. Rondo has a history of dominating ganes when his team mates are being focused upon.

I'd be fine with either Monroe or Drummond but if we can nab the biggest mammoth since Dwight all while creating a sneaky powethouse in Detroit I think you have to do it especially since moving Gerald Wallace sweetens the pot for both teams.

Detroit creates Bad Boy Pistons II while we get to sit back and watch a giant awaken. KO Drummond would be a top 5 front court.

If they could go back in time, they'd 1000% pick Webber to pair with Shaq.
Bigs>smalls in the NBA.

I too think Rondo would give them a top 5 in the East title. Add another scorer like Jeff Green and then you're talking a serious contender.
But they believe Drummond is a potential hall of famer/game changer which is fair enough.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 08:14:38 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

IMO Detroit fans' imagined trades are no more one-sided than this one.

In one of the previous Rondo to Detroit threads someone went over to the Detroit boards. If I recall correctly the most popular ideas revolved around Knight - without Drummond or Monroe. I think there were even some over there who wouldn't give up Knight for Rondo.

So, yeah, it seems that way.