Beyond the Association > College Basketball

NCAA makes changes to rules regarding agents, draft eligibility, etc.

(1/3) > >>

Roy H.:
I'm not sure that these are going to make the NCAA feel less like a minor league for the NBA, but they'll be interesting to see.  I like the rule change about undrafted players being able to go back to the NCAA.

--- Quote ---The NCAA adopted a sweeping series of policy and rules changes Wednesday that it hopes will clean up college basketball, which has been engulfed by an FBI investigation and other corruption over the past two years.

Among the significant changes that were adopted by the NCAA's board of governors and Division I board of directors are allowing elite high school basketball recruits and college players to be represented by agents who are certified by the NCAA; allowing eligible underclassmen to enter the NBA draft and return to school if undrafted; introducing more rigorous certification requirements for summer amateur basketball events; and imposing longer postseason bans, suspensions and increased recruiting restrictions for coaches who break rules.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Pending anticipated approval from the NBA and National Basketball Players Association, the NCAA will now allow underclassmen to enter the draft, participate in the combine and then return to school if they go undrafted. The only requirements are that they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Council before deciding to enter the draft and then notify their school's athletics director of their intention to return by 5 p.m. on the Monday after the draft.

The players who return would be ineligible for the NBA draft until the end of the next college basketball season
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Agents: Effective immediately, the NCAA will allow college players to be represented by NBAPA-certified agents (the agents must become NCAA-certified no later than Aug. 1, 2020) beginning after any season, as long as they request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Agents will be permitted to pay for meals and transportation for players and their families during the agent selection process and for meetings with pro teams, if changes are made to existing agent acts and state laws.

If the NBA and National Basketball Players Association change their rules and make high school basketball players eligible for the draft at age 18, as expected, they'll be allowed to sign with an NCAA-certified agent starting July 1 before their senior year of high school, as long as they have been identified as an elite senior prospect by USA Basketball.
--- End quote ---

More rule changes here:  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24320401/ncaa-announces-new-college-basketball-policy-including-agents-players-longer-postseason-bans

GreenEnvy:
I fail to understand how allowing high school players to hire agents will cut down on corruption.

nickagneta:
A few of these rules have to be approved by the NBA and NBAPA. Wonder how that goes?

hpantazo:

--- Quote from: GreenEnvy on August 08, 2018, 06:33:22 PM ---I fail to understand how allowing high school players to hire agents will cut down on corruption.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I mean, none of these rules actually shuffle even a small percentage of the huge profits the NCAA makes to the players. They could at least evenly split a small percentage of the profit to all players across the board or something.

Roy H.:

--- Quote from: GreenEnvy on August 08, 2018, 06:33:22 PM ---I fail to understand how allowing high school players to hire agents will cut down on corruption.

--- End quote ---

I think the idea is that NCAA-regulated agents will be less dirty than some of the people the kids are associating with now.

I'm not sure that I buy that.  It could in theory weed out the worst of the worst, but let's be real:  a lot of players are still going to the highest bidder.  This makes the NCAA less amateur-based, not more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version