Poll

Is it fair for LA to count the minnesota titles ?

Yes it’s 100% fair.
13 (40.6%)
Not fair. Minnesota isn’t LA.
19 (59.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Is it fair the Lakers can count the Minnesota titles as their achievements?  (Read 9149 times)

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
It looks like they’re about to win “banner 17” and tie the Celtics

Is it fair that the Los Angeles Lakers count 5 titles the team technically won in Minnesota?

Always felt the city is very important to the achievement of winning a championship.  From the fans, to the arena, to the regional draft picks, to swaying free agents, the city adds many important elements to a team that should not be discounted.  OKC Thunder shouldn’t really brag about any achievements the Seattle SuperSonics made, even though it’s the same team technically.... right ?

My opinion is that LA found an opportunity to pad their team history and claim another cities achievements as their own

Exactly. I don't think they even acknowledged those titles until they had closed the gap on us a little. They still don't have individual banners for those 5 Minny championships. Just one flag at the bottom of the hideous wall where they have tacked up their history.

This whole thing is sickening. To have Lebron, the great basketball mercenary, leading that group of misfits makes this all the more disgraceful.
Well ever since the perk trade Ainge has been obsessed with collecting assets and making draft selections. We did make (but lost all) 4 ECF but it felt like each time something was missing or could have been done better if we had bench vet depth

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Is it fair that the Los Angeles Lakers count 5 titles the team technically won in Minnesota?

Always felt the city is very important to the achievement of winning a championship.  From the fans, to the arena, to the regional draft picks, to swaying free agents, the city adds many important elements to a team that should not be discounted.  OKC Thunder shouldn’t really brag about any achievements the Seattle SuperSonics made, even though it’s the same team technically.... right ?

My opinion is that LA found an opportunity to pad their team history and claim another cities achievements as their own

Exactly. I don't think they even acknowledged those titles until they had closed the gap on us a little. They still don't have individual banners for those 5 Minny championships. Just one flag at the bottom of the hideous wall where they have tacked up their history.

This whole thing is sickening. To have Lebron, the great basketball mercenary, leading that group of misfits makes this all the more disgraceful.
Well ever since the perk trade Ainge has been obsessed with collecting assets and making draft selections. We did make (but lost all) 4 ECF but it felt like each time something was missing or could have been done better if we had bench vet depth
can't believe Ainge let the fakers  catch up

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

can't believe Ainge let the fakers  catch up

Danny Ainge had 10 years to make some room between the Lakers and Celtics, but he failed to do so. This team really is going through another 22-year drought.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So what I'm getting from this thread, is that the Celtics are doomed? No stars, no talent nothing just mediocrity? I think I'm just going to take a break from this site. Maybe a long one I'm not sure, all I'm going to say is that I'm sure the Hornets or the Knicks would love to be the Celtics position right now.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
So what I'm getting from this thread, is that the Celtics are doomed? No stars, no talent nothing just mediocrity? I think I'm just going to take a break from this site. Maybe a long one I'm not sure, all I'm going to say is that I'm sure the Hornets or the Knicks would love to be the Celtics position right now.

Depends on what you're looking for. Are you happy just making the playoffs every year, maybe making it to the conference finals fairly often? Or do you want titles?

Boston has talent, I don't think anyone here denies that; but Boston has no big allure for A-list free agents and thus can't "buy" titles like the Lakers just did. I mean, it's great having "home-grown" talent, but the cycle of winning a title only once every 10-20 years is just not gonna cut it in terms of keeping up with the Lakers.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Depends on what you're looking for. Are you happy just making the playoffs every year, maybe making it to the conference finals fairly often? Or do you want titles?

Boston has talent, I don't think anyone here denies that; but Boston has no big allure for A-list free agents and thus can't "buy" titles like the Lakers just did. I mean, it's great having "home-grown" talent, but the cycle of winning a title only once every 10-20 years is just not gonna cut it in terms of keeping up with the Lakers.

So what's your point? Give up? Come on they got A list talent on their roster VERY YOUNG talent. They've made the ECF 4 times in a couple of years with that young talent. This is a title contender, just because the Lakers got their way doesn't mean the Celtics are doomed.

But whatever guys whine away and say that the Celtics are going through 22 year drought or whatever. I'm convinced on this site nothing will ever sway you guys. Maybe they should be Knicks or the Kings with the way people want to fire Brad or Danny. It'll suit the rage on this site.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

So what's your point? Give up? Come on they got A list talent on their roster VERY YOUNG talent. They've made the ECF 4 times in a couple of years with that young talent. This is a title contender, just because the Lakers got their way doesn't mean the Celtics are doomed.

But whatever guys whine away and say that the Celtics are going through 22 year drought or whatever. I'm convinced on this site nothing will ever sway you guys. Maybe they should be Knicks or the Kings with the way people want to fire Brad or Danny. It'll suit the rage on this site.
I think people are more like what he could have done better in the last 10 years not fire him.
Speaking of management/ownership chokejobs I think last years sixers team with jimmy leading the charge and a better coach would have destroyed lebrons lakers these finals.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Perfectly fair to say the Lakers franchise has won 17 titles. 

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

I think people are more like what he could have done better in the last 10 years not fire him.
Speaking of management/ownership chokejobs I think last years sixers team with jimmy leading the charge and a better coach would have destroyed lebrons lakers these finals.

THEY HAVE TWO ALL STARS with one having potential to be a superstar! How is that not doing better?! Like I said before I'm pretty the Knicks would want to trade places with the Celtics because perhaps the Pitino days where they just trade young stars like Billups and Joe Johnson in order to accelerate the rebuilding will be better suited. This is a great future the Celtics have, why are they treating this like this is terrible?!

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Jealousy is the thief of joy.

We can enjoy the Celtics regardless of whatever the Lakers do.

It can be done!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yes, it's the same franchise, just a different city.  It's not our fault that we sucked for years because we had quite a run of bad luck (Bias/Lewis), bad drafting, bad luck in the lottery (two times should have had #1 including TD), and bad GM'ing (Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. Pitino!).

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

My point is that I don't want to be in a "Let's just be happy we're in the playoffs every year" scenario. I don't want the Cs to be like the Atlanta Hawks of several years ago, who were always a very good regular-season team (I think they even hit 60 wins once) but never even made it to the NBA Finals. I want to see the Celtics win titles and the Lakers not win titles.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yes, it's the same franchise, just a different city.  It's not our fault that we sucked for years because we had quite a run of bad luck (Bias/Lewis), bad drafting, bad luck in the lottery (two times should have had #1 including TD), and bad GM'ing (Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. Pitino!).

FACEPALM!     ::)
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

My point is that I don't want to be in a "Let's just be happy we're in the playoffs every year" scenario. I don't want the Cs to be like the Atlanta Hawks of several years ago, who were always a very good regular-season team (I think they even hit 60 wins once) but never even made it to the NBA Finals. I want to see the Celtics win titles and the Lakers not win titles.
I kinda agree. Try telling Real Madrid fans that they will be winning primera division 1 out of 4 seasons and that they have to wait 10-15 years to win the champions league and see if they will revolt against their owners and management.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Exactly. I think right now we are becoming like the Atlanta Hawks of old. Get into playoffs every year and lose. We need action, we need to win titles!! East Finals appearance and fizzling out is getting tiresome.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)