Author Topic: Celtics (9-9) at Hawks (3-15) Game #19 11/23/18  (Read 20041 times)

Celtics (9-9) at Hawks (3-15) Game #19 11/23/18
« on: November 23, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
  at 
Boston Celtics (14-2) at Atlanta Hawks (3-12)
Saturday, November 23, 2018
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #19, Road Game #11
TV: NBCSB,  FSSE-ATL, NBA-LP 754 (DTV)/753 (xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 92.9 FM The Game
Philips Arena

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Kyrie Irving vs Trae Young

Shooting Guard

vs
Jaylen Brown vs Kent Bazemore

Small Forward
vs
Jayson Tatum vs Taurean Prince

Power Forward
vs
Marcus Morris vs John Collins

Center
vs
Aron Baynes vs Alex Len 

Celtics Reserves
Semi Ojeleye
Daniel Theis
Guerschon Yabusele
Terry Rozier
Marcus Smart
Gordon Hayward
Brad Wanamaker
Robert Williams

Injuries

Jabari Bird
Al Horford

Two Way Players
Walt Lemon, Jr.
P. J. Dozier

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Hawks Reserves
Justin Anderson
DeAndre' Bembry
Vince Carter
Tyler Dorsey
Daniel Hamilton
Kevin Huerter
Jeremy Lin
Miles Plumlee
Omari Spellman

Injuries

Alex Poythress
Dwayne Dedmon

Two Way Players

Alex Poythress
Jaylen Adams

Head Coach
Lloyd Pierce

Game Notes

The Celtics travel to Atlanta to take on the Hawks tonight. Boston will attempt to turn their season around with a win against the lowly Hawks, who currently have the 2nd worst record in the league and own the longest losing streak in the NBA at 9 games. Unfortunately, the Celtics are on their own 3 game losing streak and have lost 7 of their last 10 games. Boston is coming off an embarrassing 117-109 loss to the New York Knicks where the score doesn't indicate just how poorly Boston played, as New York was up by 26 at one point and led by 15+ points most of the game.

The Hawks are led by their exceptional rookie PG Trae Young who is 3rd amongst rookies in scoring at 16.5 points per game and is 3rd in the NBA with 8.1 assists per game. Third year player,  Taureen Prince, is also having a good season for Atlanta scoring a career high 15.9 points per game. The Hawks are a bad team and have very little talent that is above league average. First year Hawks' head coach, Lloyd Pierce has struggled to get the young Atlanta team performing well as he adjusts to implement his system and gets to know his players. They rank dead last in the NBA in FG%, turnovers per game, point differential, and rebound %. But the Hawks like to create turnovers( they rank in the top 10 in blocks and steals), get out on the fast break(5th in league in fast break points) and push the pace of the game(they play at the fastest pace in the league). The Hawks will put up a lot of shots, they just don't put a lot of them through the net.

The Celtics will be without Al Horford tonight as he misses his first game of the season with a sore knee. Horford will be missed as he was one of the few players that played well against New York. Expect Aron Baynes and Daniel Theis to soak up a lot of Horford's minutes. Also, we might see a little of Robert Williams, who has received a rare activation for this game. Brad Stevens continues to struggle with what he has to do to get this team to perform to it's potential. If the Celtics lose tonight it will be the first time Boston will be under .500 this late in the season since Stevens' 2nd year with the Celtics. Coach Stevens on Boston's problems: “We’re not playing with the same personality that we did last year, and that’s the easy way to describe it, and the 50,000 issues are below that."

For the Celtics to win they need to correct many parts of their game. They are dead last in the NBA in 1st period scoring at 23.8 per game. Digging holes in the first half and then attempting to turn things on late, especially with their excellent defense, for a comeback win has been a recipe for failure with this team. Boston has to start being aggressive from the start of games and establish going to the basket, that will in turn create the space for wide open looks. And at some point, they need to shoot themselves out of this season long team shooting slump. The Celtics are second in the league in wide open shots and creating wide open looks but shoot a paltry 38.2% from the field and 35% from three in shots taken with the closet defender at 6+ feet away from the shooter.

Look for Boston to go to Kyrie Irving a lot in his matchup with the rookie Trae Young. Young has a very good offensive game, but struggles mightly on the defensive end of the court. With Al Horford out off the game, that will open up more touches for Boston's wings, but it will be imperative for them to keep everyone involved and not let the ball stick, as Horford was a major cog in moving the ball and creating offense for the whole team. Here is hoping that Boston uses this stretch of games against teams looking to build for the future rather than compete to turn their season around.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:56:43 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Celtics (9-9) at Hawks (3-15) Game #19 11/23/18
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Go Celts! Hopefully we can come back from 15-20 down to win this one!!

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 03:07:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
TP to hodgy03038 for being the first to post in the game thread

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 03:07:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I sure hope we can win this one. A nice little winning streak would do wonders for this team. Go Cs and TP to Nick for another great game thread!!

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Let's see if all the bad press woke these guys up! Let's GO!

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
What's the over/under for Trae Young going for 50 tonight?

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
This is the type of game (like the Knicks game) that has zero potential to raise morale, only potential to bring it down.

We have to take care of these games that we SHOULD win, let's go Celts!

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This is the type of game (like the Knicks game) that has zero potential to raise morale, only potential to bring it down.

I agree that for the fans, a win, even a convincing one this game will do little to lift morale. It's expected, just as it was vs the Knicks and hence agreement with your comment "This is the type of game (like the Knicks game) that has zero potential to raise morale, only potential to bring it down.

For the team, though, a convincing win has got to elevate them. They must've had a sucky Thanksgiving stewing over that Knicks game, or at least I hope they did. Hopefully they take it out over the hapless Hawks tonight!!!

Go Cs!!!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
hoping for a much better effort and result in tonight's game

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I agree that for the fans, a win, even a convincing one this game will do little to lift morale. It's expected, just as it was vs the Knicks and hence agreement with your comment "This is the type of game (like the Knicks game) that has zero potential to raise morale, only potential to bring it down.

For the team, though, a convincing win has got to elevate them. They must've had a sucky Thanksgiving stewing over that Knicks game, or at least I hope they did. Hopefully they take it out over the hapless Hawks tonight!!!

Go Cs!!!!!!!!

I'll agree to that but I think the only way to feel good about this game is if we control it/don't have to dig out of a huge deficit/win convincingly/not fighting for the win in the last few minutes of the game. Even with our team struggling we should beat 3-15 teams easily.

I admit I am nervous about Trae Young exploding tonight the way things have been going.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 05:45:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
While a loss (or struggle) could do more to sustain/deepen the misery than a mundane win would spell relief, I would not underestimate the impact a convincing performance could have on the psyche of the team and fans. 

Would love solid game from the Jays, GH and Rozier - it will be hard to lose if these 4 play consistently well (I expect consistency from veterans KI, Al, MM and MS).

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 06:26:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
2 ER visits and an overnight hospital stay for a kidney problem...finally resting at home AND I NEED A CELTICS WIN SO BADLY! Help me C’s, make it happen!

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
2 ER visits and an overnight hospital stay for a kidney problem...finally resting at home AND I NEED A CELTICS WIN SO BADLY! Help me C’s, make it happen!
Get better Surferdad. We need you healthy to sub in if these guys don't start playing better😉😆

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
No Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. basketball again pls
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
But this might be the game where our Celtic Doncic stans finally appreciate Trae so I'm torn :laugh: jk I hope he doesn't torch us
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA