Author Topic: Report: Carmelo to NY is finally official  (Read 33434 times)

Re: Report: Carmelo to NY is finally official
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2011, 12:23:23 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't know if its a repeat..but Melo is going to be on Conan in a few minutes.

Yeah, but it was pre=taped.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:30 AM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
Nice job, Denver in getting a lot in return. Though I'm always a bit suspicious of D'Antoni players...their numbers are usually much better than the players actually are (since they play no defense). The Knicks got better...I think...but I'm not sure it matters that much for the same reason: D'Antoni. His teams play no defense, ever. The Knicks were a playoff team before, maybe capable of winning one series. Now...probably capable of winning one series. The Bulls, Heat, (maybe) Magic, and us (obviously) would easily beat NY in a series.

They didnt do this trade and expect to be contenders, they did this trade to have the prospect of being able to start fresh and build around two superstars.

We have Melo and Amare. Now lets start building around them = any teams dream. I guarantee you that the Knicks are thinking about 2012 more then the playoffs this year. They have a super bright future, and Amare and Melo are still young.

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Denver crushed New York, especially considering Melo would never approve a trade to New Jersey. That being said, in this league you do whatever you can to get superstars, and then you fill in your roster accordingly. Might take some time, but I see New York being around Chicago's level.

I see them surpassing Chicago. Melo/Amare is leagues and bounds better then Rose/Boozer. Knicks also have a chance to get either Deron Williams or Chris Paul in 2012 also which would complete the big 3, bring in a bunch of d leaguers and role players and that team will easily be a contender.

Idk about that, I'd take D.Rose over Melo everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Boozer vs. Amar'e is debatable.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I see them surpassing Chicago. Melo/Amare is leagues and bounds better then Rose/Boozer. Knicks also have a chance to get either Deron Williams or Chris Paul in 2012 also which would complete the big 3, bring in a bunch of d leaguers and role players and that team will easily be a contender.
Really? Chicago plays great D (Thibs...d'uh) and has a lot of other players. Rose might be the MVP, Boozer is pretty good, plus they have Noah and lots of solid contributors who do more than just score. Agreed, Melo/Amare is better than Rose/Boozer, but I don't think it's by a huge margin AND the Knicks still play no defense at all.

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:47 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Nets will try, but Denver not likely to send any Knicks players back to NJ via trade, sources say.
- Chris Broussard
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:22 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
They didnt do this trade and expect to be contenders, they did this trade to have the prospect of being able to start fresh and build around two superstars.
We have Melo and Amare. Now lets start building around them = any teams dream. I guarantee you that the Knicks are thinking about 2012 more then the playoffs this year. They have a super bright future, and Amare and Melo are still young.
Yeah, but I think there's no chance they'll be bringing in a 3rd max contract guy under the new CBA, whenever that gets done. The Miami superfriends scenario almost certainly pushed Stern towards stopping that kind of situation from ever happening again.

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:26 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I can't believe that anyone thinks the Knicks will ever be serious competitors for a championship with their current head coach.

Until the Knicks and Amare/Melo learn or decide to play defense, they will not go very deep in the playoffs.

I believe Adande's comment ranking the Heat, Knicks and Bulls as the top three teams in the east was in response to a question about the future, not this year. At least I am pretty sure that was the question he was asked.

Again, Mike Dantoni will NEVER coach an NBA championship team.

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2011, 12:37:04 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I can't believe that anyone thinks the Knicks will ever be serious competitors for a championship with their current head coach.

Until the Knicks and Amare/Melo learn or decide to play defense, they will not go very deep in the playoffs.

Again, Mike Dantoni will NEVER coach an NBA championship team.

What I've been saying all night.  TP.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Can somebody please explain to me why the Knicks just gutted their franchise for Melo when they prolly could have worked a less damaging deal for Kevin martin?

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:08 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Knicks should try and get Howard in 2012. A defensive center to go with Melo and Amar'e will make for an excellent trio. Billups and another decent/average backup PG can hold the fort for the next 2 years.

EDIT: Also, fire D'Antoni and hire Rick Adelman or Jerry Sloan.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:43:43 AM by barefacedmonk »

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
Denver screwed up by not acquiring Anthony Randolph.

A.Randolph is a better prospect than Gallo or Chandler.

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Knicks should try and get Howard in 2012. A defensive center to go with Melo and Amar'e will make for an excellent trio. Billups and another decent/average backup PG can hold the fort for the next 2 years.

EDIT: Also, fire D'Antoni and hire Rick Adelman or Jerry Sloan.

Allegedly, CP3 Amar'e and Melo made a handshake deal this summer to all play together. CP3 even made a toast stating as much at Melo's wedding. So the 3rd part of NY's Big 3 is pretty much filled, IMO.

Plus, we want Dwight in Celtics green in 2012  ;D ;)
But I admit, it's starting to look hopeless :-\
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
Denver screwed up by not acquiring Anthony Randolph.

A.Randolph is a better prospect than Gallo or Chandler.

I think teams have given up on Randolph, dude has been a prospect for years now and he gets worse each year and now cant even get playing time.

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2011, 12:48:35 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Assuming everyone passes physicals in time, source says Melo expected to make his Knicks' debut in the Garden on Wednesday against the Bucks
- Marc Spears

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2011, 12:49:37 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
The Knicks should bring back Jeff Van Gundy.

He is the right type of coach for that roster.

-------------------------------------------------

D'Antoni is no longer a good fit there.

Unfortunately, Donnie Walsh will never make a decision like that (fire D'Antoni based on fit with personnel). ... he'll want to play it out and give D'Antoni the opportunity to coach this team first. Then make a call. And he'll likely talk himself into giving D'Antoni another season after this one due to NYC's weak supporting cast. So, Donnie will end up wasting the two best year's remaining in Chauncey's career.

Way to go Donnie! Screw up your franchise good and proper.