Author Topic: Report: Carmelo to NY is finally official  (Read 33430 times)

Re: Report: Carmelo to NY is finally official
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Oh and also, I'd say a Rajon Rondo in the middle of his prime is a pretty attractive starting piece.
Dang skippy!

Although, did anybody else read Rich Levine's CSN piece on the All-Star game? (Link currently up on the front page.)

Basically, what I saw were four players who existed on the outside of the team’s inner circle. Guys who were very different than the rest of the conference’s best. They weren't a part of the NBA’s “cool click,” but at the same time, they couldn't care less. They weren’t rude, but they also weren’t going out of their way to foster any special relationships. They weren’t looking for new friends to party with on the road. Or potential teammates to poach at the next free-agency period. They were there to play basketball, have fun and enjoy a little time off from the grind. And that’s about it.

The Big 3 were the only guys on the East roster over 30, and they’ve taken Rajon Rondo under their spell. He’s now the oldest soul in the league. He’s more 34 than he is 24. And as I watched the four them go about their business, that divide was so apparent. And while that could be perceived as them not wanting to become friends (although with Rondo that could be true) I think it’s more a matter of them not being able to.

Pure, for-the-fun-of-it, speculation, but it's possible that Rondo may not have the temperament for recruiting.

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Not realizing Anthony Randolph's value was a major mistake.
But wouldn't you say, as things stand at this very moment, Gallo is more productive than Randolph. Randolph may be a better prospect..who knows...he hasn't impressed very much yet.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
But wouldn't you say, as things stand at this very moment, Gallo is more productive than Randolph. Randolph may be a better prospect..who knows...he hasn't impressed very much yet.

Though, it's not clear they had to choose. Why not take both? Nuggets front office wasn't shy about asking.

Possibly Minnesota was only willing to take on Curry's contract to acquire Randolph? But I doubt it.

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2011, 01:46:38 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Though, it's not clear they had to choose. Why not take both? Nuggets front office wasn't shy about asking.

Possibly Minnesota was only willing to take on Curry's contract to acquire Randolph? But I doubt it.

True...that would've made more sense.

« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

They just didn't like him..that's the reason..gotta be.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:46 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Haha...I'm guessing he was the incentive Minny needed to absorb Curry's contract. It saved Denver a lot in luxury tax.

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2011, 02:03:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Haha...I'm guessing he was the incentive Minny needed to absorb Curry's contract. It saved Denver a lot in luxury tax.

Very true.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2011, 02:06:45 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Also best trade-related tweet so far...

Anthony Carter has a full no-trade clause. I triple dog dare him to use it.

via Sham Sports aka Mark Deeks.

Next best trade related tweet...

Carmelo's 30.4 pts per game at MSG slightly behind Kobe (30.5) for best among active players.

via Brian Mahoney.

Frank Isola takes the bronze.

And in a related story, Knicks add quality depth to the family room in the form of @lala and Candice Parker.

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2011, 02:07:23 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Can somebody please explain to me why the Knicks just gutted their franchise for Melo when they prolly could have worked a less damaging deal for Kevin martin?

Because Martin isnt a superstar. Knicks won the jackpot, now they have 2 legit superstars, put NY back on the map in terms of basketball popularity and watchability, and will be able to make improvements for years to come. That opporunity doesent come around often.

Celtics were terrible for 20 years until Ray Allen and KG came here, Knicks are trying to revive their franchise and they have succesfully done that brining in 2 young superstars, now its time for them to fill in the other pieces.

I dunno man, we may be using the term superstar a little loosely. Was Bernard King a superstar? Adrian Dantley? This is the level of player Melo is. I just would never gut my franchise for that. The most underrated thing Danny Ainge has ever done is refuse to let Rondo or Perk be a part of the Ray and KG deals. He knew that if he couldn't put a team around them than the new players, even a top 5 PF of all time,  would mean diddly.The Knicks just gutted their roster of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th most talented players, I don't see how adding a superstar to that helps all that much. You're left with rotation holes and the unavoidable mess that comes with riding Amar'e's knees into the ground. They haven't gotten better defensively and they haven't made a move that definitively gets them past Chicago or the Heat in the next 5 years. This smacks of an impatient owner wanting to be relevant and I wouldn't be surprised if Donny walsh quits next year.

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
I wouldn't be surprised if Donny walsh quits next year.
I'd read somewhere a few days ago that Walsh will be let go after this season...James Dolan isn't impressed with what Walsh was able to do this past summer.

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2011, 02:14:41 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
I wouldn't be surprised if Donny walsh quits next year.
I'd read somewhere a few days ago that Walsh will be let go after this season...James Dolan isn't impressed with what Walsh was able to do this past summer.

Which is a shame. He got the third best player and the only one who had any intention of playing in New York.

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
I dunno man, we may be using the term superstar a little loosely. Was Bernard King a superstar? Adrian Dantley? This is the level of player Melo is. I just would never gut my franchise for that. The most underrated thing Danny Ainge has ever done is refuse to let Rondo or Perk be a part of the Ray and KG deals. He knew that if he couldn't put a team around them than the new players, even a top 5 PF of all time,  would mean diddly.The Knicks just gutted their roster of their 2nd, 3rd and 4th most talented players, I don't see how adding a superstar to that helps all that much. You're left with rotation holes and the unavoidable mess that comes with riding Amar'e's knees into the ground. They haven't gotten better defensively and they haven't made a move that definitively gets them past Chicago or the Heat in the next 5 years. This smacks of an impatient owner wanting to be relevant and I wouldn't be surprised if Donny walsh quits next year.

Dolan has yet to pick up the option on Walsh's contract for next season. The deadline is April 30th. So Donny may not have the chance to quit. Sad but true. And somehow I like this trade for the Knicks and yet agree with every other part of your post, including the real risk of D'Antoni over-playing Stoudemire.

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2011, 02:17:13 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Dolan has yet to pick up the option on Walsh's contract for next season. The deadline is April 30th. So Donny may not have the chance to quit. Sad but true. And somehow I like this trade for the Knicks and yet agree with every other part of your post, including the real risk of D'Antoni over-playing Stoudemire.

It's your overwhelming desire to disagree with me at every turn. ;D

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »

Offline LeoMoreno

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Yay, we get to see Perk and Garnett pummel Shelden!  ;D Ooh I'm happy.

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2011, 02:21:14 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides
Denver fans and George Karl must be relieved that the Melo saga has finally come to an end. Speaking of George Karl, I don't think he will resign with the Nuggets now.