Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 280669 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #1965 on: May 05, 2018, 11:35:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I hate to jinx it (even though no team has ever come back down 3-0), but assuming it will be Cavs/Celtics in the ECF, it's kind of interesting.  People thought these teams would be meeting in the ECF all along, but there will be no Isaiah and no Kyrie. 

Despite how injured we are, it's kinda interesting to compare this year's matchup with last year's matchup. 

Boston's main starting lineup was Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Kelly Olynyk and Al Horford

Cavs main starting lineup was Kyrie, JR Smith, LeBron, Love and Thompson. 

This year, Cavs swap out Kyrie for George Hill.   That's a downgrade.

Boston swaps out Bradley for Jaylen - probably an upgrade.

Boston swaps out Crowder for Tatum - that's an upgrade.

Boston is starting Terry, who (if he keeps up this level of play) is a big upgrade over Marcus last season.

Morris/Baynes is probably an upgrade over Olynyk/Amir.

Cavs dominated us last year, but you could make the case that even with the injuries Boston is going to be a tougher match-up for them this year. 

« Reply #1966 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The Celtics and cavs are rushing out of the semi finals. This is going to be a big rematch of last year.

« Reply #1967 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Holy hell, Raptors. That’s what you came up with? Season ultimately on the line and that’s the ATO play you come up with on your last timeout, Casey? Makes me appreciate Brad.

What I don't understand is how/why Toronto left Cleveland off the hook, at least down the stretch. I mean, I know that Lowry had, what, 14 points in the 4th quarter, so good for him, really, but there were numerous times when the Cavs had Jeff Green on Ibaka and the Raptors elected to take threes, and in a tight game, no less. Now imagine if the situation had been reversed and the Raptors had put, say, C.J. Miles on Love as they did to their own detriment in Game 2 - does anyone honestly believe that Lebron would do anything other than throw it inside to Kevin every single time, because I have no doubts. That's the difference, in terms of intelligence, and I worry that Boston has no one who can match, let alone exceed, Lebron in terms of brain power. Of course, it also makes me appreciate/love Rondo even more, lol. Ugh.

« Reply #1968 on: May 05, 2018, 11:38:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Probably?

« Reply #1969 on: May 05, 2018, 11:43:56 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
It's amazing once again how good Lebron can look when the officials go out of their way to help him.  That foul on Ibaka was TERRIBLE and it was one of many calls that cost the Raptors this game.  I'd LOVE to watch Dwayne Casey's presser to see if he has the guts to call out the refs.

« Reply #1970 on: May 05, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It's amazing once again how good Lebron can look when the officials go out of their way to help him.  That foul on Ibaka was TERRIBLE and it was one of many calls that cost the Raptors this game.  I'd LOVE to watch Dwayne Casey's presser to see if he has the guts to call out the refs.
I don’t know how Nate McMillan didn’t explode on the sideline after losing a series to the officials
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1971 on: May 06, 2018, 12:06:39 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I hate to jinx it (even though no team has ever come back down 3-0), but assuming it will be Cavs/Celtics in the ECF, it's kind of interesting.  People thought these teams would be meeting in the ECF all along, but there will be no Isaiah and no Kyrie. 

Despite how injured we are, it's kinda interesting to compare this year's matchup with last year's matchup. 

Boston's main starting lineup was Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Kelly Olynyk and Al Horford

Boston is starting Terry, who (if he keeps up this level of play) is a big upgrade over Marcus last season.

Cavs dominated us last year, but you could make the case that even with the injuries Boston is going to be a tougher match-up for them this year.

Pretty much aree with all of this, on  just a man to man compariosn basis we are probably better or at least even across the board. But the biggest difference is the way our pieces mesh together to play defense. We were good defensively last year, but nobody on this team who gets minutes is below average defenisvely this year, our exceution is elite and we have awesome one of one defenders like Brown, Smart and Horford anchoring things. And its kind of amusing to me that people are shocked that the Cavs arent as good. They lost Irving for basically no help this year. Of course they are worse.

« Reply #1972 on: May 06, 2018, 12:16:01 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Probably?

Probably? Not even close to "probably"

It is a HUGE and lightyears upgrade over Olynyk/Amir. You see what Morris/Baynes duo is producing for the Celtics? They are great. Heck even Monroe can put up a better show than Olynyk/Amir combined.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1973 on: May 06, 2018, 12:19:03 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Yeah, there's no way the Raptors are winning this series. They are getting swept. Prediction was correct from the get-go and I was only fantasizing a Raptors-Celtics ECF.

If the Raps can't even stop LBJ in Toronto, they aren't doing it in Cleveland.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1974 on: May 06, 2018, 12:48:16 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
OG Anunoby is a hell of a player! That was a great clutch shot he hit at near the end of that game. He is going to be something.

« Reply #1975 on: May 06, 2018, 01:29:47 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Brown is better than Avery..and Brown can check Lebron together with Morris.

The rest of your analysis is spot on.

The Cavs took 7 to defeat the Pacers.. Lets see if they can repeat that against the best defense in the NBA... I also maintained that even the Sixers can defeat the CAVS because no one will be able to guard Embiid.

Its really going to be herculean but thinking about it.. Our top 8 players right now are an absolute upgrade over our top players in 2017 and then factor Kyrie not helping them out this yr... We shall see.

« Reply #1976 on: May 06, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Has there ever been a situation where a coach might win COY (Casey) and then get fired?

I don't see how Toronto can bring this current group back.

« Reply #1977 on: May 06, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Has there ever been a situation where a coach might win COY (Casey) and then get fired?

I don't see how Toronto can bring this current group back.
I remember it happening to George Karl in Denver

« Reply #1978 on: May 06, 2018, 03:46:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Injuries or not, this is now the third different starting lineup to be used by the Warriors in this series.

*searchin* ;) ;D

Edit: Welp, looks like the beatdown has commenced. Sigh. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted :-\.

« Reply #1979 on: May 06, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
The West sure doesn't want to be left out from the East with both series up 3-0. GS is trying to get up early..see how playoff Rondo and Davis respond to the early onslaught.