Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 280645 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:03 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Toronto just doesn't want to win this game, apparently.

« Reply #1576 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Wow.

« Reply #1577 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Comical how bad the raptors have been this quarter

« Reply #1578 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
LOL same old choking Raptors  ;D

You just know Lebron will hit one at the buzzer to win it now.

« Reply #1579 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
4 missed shots
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1580 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL here it comes. Lebron dagger.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1581 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:50 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I can not respect the Raptors less than I do right now. What a mentally soft team. Playing scared right now.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #1582 on: May 01, 2018, 10:37:13 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I expect the Raptors to win. LBJ exhausted himself to beat a lesser team in the Pacers. He's going to get worn down against the Raptors.

Meanwhile the Cavs defense is bad, and they aren't as susceptible to the junk high double like Oladipo was. If you try that against he Raptors as more than a change up mid game they'll pick you apart.
The Raptors are a jump shooting team.  They have no one with the ball skills that Oladipo has.  Thus, the Cavs below average defense will be much more suited to stopping the Raptors then they were to stopping the Pacers.  The Raptors also have no one that can even pretend to guard James.  The Pacers could give him a lot of strong and varied defensive looks, the Raptors can't.

What do you think of the Cavs being 6.5 point underdogs tonight? 3.5 to 1 to win the east? I know you were regularly referencing the odds earlier in the season when Cleveland was the favorite. They now have the 3rd worst odds of winning the east of the teams left (only ahead of us and our missing 3 starters).

I am genuinely curious why you think the oddsmakers have turned on them when they have been the darlings of lines ever since Lebron returned to Cleveland.

I expect the Raptors to win. LBJ exhausted himself to beat a lesser team in the Pacers. He's going to get worn down against the Raptors.

Meanwhile the Cavs defense is bad, and they aren't as susceptible to the junk high double like Oladipo was. If you try that against he Raptors as more than a change up mid game they'll pick you apart.
The Raptors are a jump shooting team.  They have no one with the ball skills that Oladipo has.  Thus, the Cavs below average defense will be much more suited to stopping the Raptors then they were to stopping the Pacers.  The Raptors also have no one that can even pretend to guard James.  The Pacers could give him a lot of strong and varied defensive looks, the Raptors can't.

What do you think of the Cavs being 6.5 point underdogs tonight? 3.5 to 1 to win the east? I know you were regularly referencing the odds earlier in the season when Cleveland was the favorite. They now have the 3rd worst odds of winning the east of the teams left (only ahead of us and our missing 3 starters).

I am genuinely curious why you think the oddsmakers have turned on them when they have been the darlings of lines ever since Lebron returned to Cleveland.

They should be underdogs regardless but this is a case where I believes the odds are being heavily influenced by the public narrative.  The odds makers are trying to ensure that they can profit on both sides of the spread.  The Philly winning streak, Toronto being a convincing #1 seed, and the drama in Cleveland all came together to influence the betting lines.  ESPN coverage is painting a picture of LeBron having his back against the wall.  This is true but over exaggerated IMIO.

This is a flawed comparison on my part but the 2010 NBA playoff odds come to mind.  Deep down I always had faith in the Celtics ability to "flip the switch".  I also didn't think the competition in the East was particularly strong.  The regular season was mediocre by the Celtics standards and they went into the playoffs at +400 to win the East.  I don't bet on my own team but I thought those were excellent odds at the time.   

Realistically I think a +4.5 line would be more realistic for the Cavs on the road.   

You really think the odds makers have to give people better odds to get them to bet on Cleveland? Pretty interesting take...

In this rare case I would say yes, at least for game 1 of the series.  All of the public headlines are along the lines of "can LeBron overcome the Raptors"?  I think you could argue that the Raptors historically mediocre game 1 performances should even things out to a certain degree.

LeBron also tends to rise to occasion in recent years unless he is faced with insurmountable odds. 

Who knows though.  I could be complete off base.  I pick the Raptors to win 104-101 tonight.

It looks like my concerns over Toronto definitely came true tonight.  -6.5 just seemed too steep for a team that has a history of game 1 struggles at home in the playoffs.  Cleveland is weak but they still have the best player in the world.  I suppose the Raptors could still cover if this goes to OT.

« Reply #1583 on: May 01, 2018, 10:37:25 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
4 missed shots

That was one of the most pathetic displays I have ever seen.

« Reply #1584 on: May 01, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I would secretly rather face Lebron if we can get by Sixers- crazy!!More fun to dethrone king

« Reply #1585 on: May 01, 2018, 10:37:38 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
How was that not a flagrant under today’s rules?

Because #23 would not of liked that call

« Reply #1586 on: May 01, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Hahaha OT almost went in

Not impressed with Derozan in the 4Q

« Reply #1587 on: May 01, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Craptors  & choking. Name a better duo.

« Reply #1588 on: May 01, 2018, 10:38:41 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
LOL same old choking Raptors  ;D

You just know Lebron will hit one at the buzzer to win it now.

Surprised he missed it... the Raptors really are pathetic though.

We’ll be owning the East for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #1589 on: May 01, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
almost!! haha..hope they have 7 OT’s in this series😁