Author Topic: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages  (Read 9409 times)

Re: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."

I think you're overthinking it, PhoSita.

Could be, but it's a pretty common reaction across the interwebs, and that sort of proves my point.

Whatever he meant by it, it's an unnecessary self own that furthers an annoying narrative.

Annoying to who? Doubt Hayward reads or cares about the reaction to his completely appropriate selection.

Annoying to me.  I've already stated that. 

It's annoying to me anytime being a Celtics fan (or Boston fan generally) is associated with racism, which is a relatively common thing especially in Internet circles.

Maybe Hayward doesn't care about how people will react to what he chooses to put on his jersey.  Maybe he's actually hoping to get some kind of a reaction.  I sure hope Hayward cares what his teammates think, though.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Never ceases to amaze me that a bunch of players whose very job and status disproves what they're asserting still pushing this garbage.

Screw them and their marxist nonsense.

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=robyn+hayward

That's definitely not a good look lol.

Yes, she and 63 million other people supported a Republican candidate.  Time to form a lynch mob I guess.

and he/his spouse contributed money to Trump a week before the election in 2016

A bit sexist to assume that Robyn votes the same way as her husband, isn’t it?  Are women not allowed to have their own voice?  That’s oddly illiberal for somebody criticizing Hayward for his perceived lack of polical correctness.

I don't understand how we've come to defend Trump on this website. I don't care abut your political affiliations, BUT I was merely pointing that statement out --- as in the fact Robyn donating to Trump & Hayward's Education Reform wouldn't have been a good look, because we would all assume the worst in today's cancel culture. And taking into consideration, Hayward has been a scapegoat/easy target. But it seems to me that you were personally insulted by that.

I would like to mention that if you support Trump, that there is a possibility you could be labeled a racist.

And I also agree with saltlover, making those remarks like we're sexist/intolerant would've probably led to a ban or serious warning to be banned.

I've supported and stood by this site for a long time. I thank you for guys for the memories, and have had interesting and lovely discussions about this forum.

Farewell, Celticsstrong, it's been real.

If you are of the belief that simply because 1) “education reform” resonated most with Gordon, along with the fact that 2) his wife gave 1/100,000th of the Haywards’ household income to candidate Trump in 2016, it can credibly be inferred that he’s a racist, you’re a part of society’s collective problem.

And no, “we” don’t all assume the worst about people based upon stereotypes.  That’s the definition of prejudice.  Look at Gordon’s acts, not some mythical strawman you and saltlover created.

Enjoy your new endeavors.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:59:38 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2020, 05:52:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Could be, but it's a pretty common reaction across the interwebs, and that sort of proves my point.

Whatever he meant by it, it's an unnecessary self own that furthers an annoying narrative.

Annoying to who? Doubt Hayward reads or cares about the reaction to his completely appropriate selection.

It's annoying to me anytime being a Celtics fan (or Boston fan generally) is associated with racism, which is a relatively common thing especially in Internet circles.

Maybe Hayward doesn't care about how people will react to what he chooses to put on his jersey.  Maybe he's actually hoping to get some kind of a reaction.  I sure hope Hayward cares what his teammates think, though.
So this has you riled up because people on the internet say Bostonian sports fans are racist? Even though you yourself know you’re not racist...?

Also, numerous black athletes, celebrities and people with platforms in general have raised the need for education reform. So it really ought not offend anyone, besides you seemingly 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Never ceases to amaze me that a bunch of players whose very job and status disproves what they're asserting still pushing this garbage.

Screw them and their marxist nonsense.
This is a garbage take that belongs in the bin.

“Those freakish athletic black folk are payed well (yet still receive discrimination), so that means that systemic and institutional racism simply doesn’t exist!”

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2020, 06:17:06 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

I missed where Haywards teammates came out and said they didn't approve of the message he selected.  Guy has been in the league for 10 years without a bad word said about him. 

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
As much easier it is to label things as black and white (not race but that things are either A or X) for complex issues so we can more easily understand the topic, I don't think it's correct to assume things and ignore the gray areas (or the rest of the alphabet between A and X).

To jump into conclusions from Hayward's intentions based on the jersey name and his donation history is a disservice to individuals in general. As has been mentioned, his body of work tells another story.

I also think in order for the country to go forward, we as a nation have to be grown up and respect people's decisions. We can have discussions on the best way forward, but to criticize people doesn't help society grow.

I despise Trump. I really hate the guy and lost sleep when he won the election and my biggest worry is coming true and it's baffling how his supporters can't see that. With that said, the reason why somebody voted for Trump is still their decision. My parents voted for him and as disappointed as I was for that, I know that my parents are good people. I know they are not racist as evident as their body of work (helping elevate minorities in Brazil and befriending people without prejudice). Also for the fact that my whole family is of mix race and have benefited and suffered from racism.

My point is that just because my parents, or anybody I know, have voted a certain way that I don't agree with, it doesn't mean that I can jump to conclusions to who they are and what they stand for. When talking about being open minded, it means being open minded to the things that you whole hardheartedly disagree with and finding the reasoning for their intention and learn from it.

The pointing fingers will eventually have to stop and at some point, we as a nation will have to put our big boy pants on.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I missed where Haywards teammates came out and said they didn't approve of the message he selected.  Guy has been in the league for 10 years without a bad word said about him.
Except by notoriously racist Utah fans :P

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

Except by notoriously racist Utah fans :P

They weren't happy.

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2020, 06:43:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think they probably have to make sure that each of a "approved" message is taken to help promote the causes.

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Dbl post

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2020, 06:48:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This thread is an insufferable reach. Blasting a guy for having “Education Reform” printed across his back (alongside other POC athletes) is insane, and kinda proves his point.

Yet the fact remains that it would've been really easy to avoid this reaction if he'd just put "BLM" on the back of his jersey.  Or even something innocuous like "Freedom" or "Love Us."

That's the definition of cancel culture, PhoSita.  "Just agree with us and we won't condemn your views." 

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A reminder of the list:

The list of the suggested social messages that were agreed upon by the NBPA and the NBA and then made available to players via email, per the source, are: Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; and Mentor.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Players wearing "education reform" on their jerseys besides Gordon Hayward:

Garrett Temple
Solomon Hill
Kyle Lowry
Marcus Morris
Markieff Morris
CJ McCollum
Kent Bazemore
DeMar DeRozan
Ed Davis
Georges Niang

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2020, 07:31:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Players wearing "education reform" on their jerseys besides Gordon Hayward:

Garrett Temple
Solomon Hill
Kyle Lowry
Marcus Morris
Markieff Morris
CJ McCollum
Kent Bazemore
DeMar DeRozan
Ed Davis
Georges Niang
Racists the lot of them!