Author Topic: Larry Legend - passing the ball  (Read 4473 times)

Larry Legend - passing the ball
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere else but I watch this and the Rondo comparisons just leap out at me. Bird is clearly better to me, but Rondo's at least in the discussion.

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2010/05/larry-bird-enjoyed-passing-basketball.html

Mods - not sure if I've put this in the right forum.

Re: Larry Legend - passing the ball
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Not sure if this has been posted somewhere else but I watch this and the Rondo comparisons just leap out at me. Bird is clearly better to me, but Rondo's at least in the discussion.

http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2010/05/larry-bird-enjoyed-passing-basketball.html

I'd say that Rondo's passing is closer to what you'd see from Bird than just about anyone else I've seen.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I'd say that Rondo's passing is closer to what you'd see from Bird than just about anyone else I've seen.
Yeah, pretty much.  They both seem to be playing chess instead of checkers.  I love how Rondo creates passing angles, instead of just seeing what becomes available.  It's pretty awesome to watch.  Half of the point guards don't even see what is available.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
TP Moiso for posting this.  Bird is so well known for his shooting, his tenacity, and his drive to win.  People forget that he was one of the best passers that ever lived.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

brother - Rondo's unique talents and growth as a star have been wonderful, but let's not get carried away here.

Bird is a Top 5 of all-time type player - Rondo's not in that type of discussion.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70

brother - Rondo's unique talents and growth as a star have been wonderful, but let's not get carried away here.

Bird is a Top 5 of all-time type player - Rondo's not in that type of discussion.

Not as an overall player - just in terms of his court vision and passing.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He's talking about passing, not overall play.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
It's routine to see Rondo split defenders with on the mark bounce passes.  The English he can put on a ball is amazing.

His court vision is tops in the league if you want to say Williams and Paul are his equals, fine. Just don't say they are better because they aren't.

I agree with the premise as well. 

Imagine having the vision of Rondo with shooting of Ray Allen and still averaging double digit boards. 

Larry was a once-in-a-life timer.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think Rondo is a great passer. He's quite decent and gets more attention because he does do the flashy ones quite well, he also does alley-oops well.

But other than that, as far as timing, ball speed, accuracy, bounce pass, he's way behind from the greats.

He does have a knack to find the open man, but there's still a lot of room for improvement in the actual delivery of the pass.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
It's routine to see Rondo split defenders with on the mark bounce passes.  The English he can put on a ball is amazing.

His court vision is tops in the league if you want to say Williams and Paul are his equals, fine. Just don't say they are better because they aren't.

Imagine having the vision of Rondo with shooting of Ray Allen and still averaging double digit boards. 

TP for summing it up flawlessly.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51
Rondo has a flair for the dramatic pass much like Bird. Another similarity is that Rondo throws himself all over the court like Bird did. I'd be surprised if Rondo lasts much past 32 years old if he keeps it up.

Finally, KG's interior passing is somewhat Bird like...

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
If you could put Bird's brain in Dwight Howard's body. Oh boy .... would that make the Magic an unbeatable team!

Talk about mixing pure athleticism with the greatest mind in b-ball. If we kept him out of the paint w/ three players, he take it out, and drill home a 3 like it was nothing. Then vice versa, if we zone defensed all of the Magic shooters, he'd kill us in the post.

Hence, no amount of team defense could stop this person!

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I really think the two are in the same league as far as passing the ball.  And I also believe Rondo is a better passer than Paul, Williams, and Lebron too.  Lets not forget that that all of these guys are looked at as big time offensive threats and good outside shooters, so they frequently face more defensive attention on the outside which opens up passing angles.  Bird and Lebron face frequent double teams, and they find the open man.  Rondo is never double teamed, so he doesn't have that passing advantage.  Many of Bird's highlight passes were off double teams.  Bird and Lebron also had a height advantage as far as seeing over the defense. 
I find Rondo's passing to be amazing.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

TP for summing it up flawlessly.

100% agreed TP as well

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I have to agree with Moiso on this topic. If you look at Bird and compare him to Rondo one thing you have to understand is everyone on defense had to respect Bird's ability to score from anywhere on the court. Rondo doesnt get that at this point and so many angles aren't as open to him. However, he makes them open with his incredible ball handling and drives to the hoop. I watched Bird a lot too and I wouldnt say that Rondo was as creative of a passer yet but I also wouldnt argue that Bird was better. A good pass is one that leads to a basket, flair or not, just ask John Stockton.