Author Topic: Is it time to let, "Havlicek Stole The Ball", fade into history?  (Read 12118 times)

Re: Is it time to let, "Havlicek Stole The Ball", fade into history?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
 ;D

TP for you, Doctor.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If we still have the footage, why not enjoy it?

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Don't worry, in another generation Havlicek's steal will be remembered vaguely in the annals of sports history and take it's place alongside Merkle's Boner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Merkle
Yup

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
No, It is a play I take to the grave with me along with a Steal by Bird, the Legend of the Bloody Sock, Adam Vinietari's kicks in 2002. Orr flying through the ice, and the comebacker to Kieth Foulke.

You can't great plays like that to the curb.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 11:28:45 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
along with a Steal by Bird, the Legend of the Bloody Sock, Adam Vinietari's kicks in 2002. Orr flying through the ice, and the comebacker to Kieth Foulke.

I'm gonna disagree, it's the greatest moment in sports history. It's the Battle Green of Lexington. Yes, it was a tidbit skirmish near Mass Ave but we all know that the end result was our great nation.

Sorry, but this needs to go into the National Archives.

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
along with a Steal by Bird, the Legend of the Bloody Sock, Adam Vinietari's kicks in 2002. Orr flying through the ice, and the comebacker to Kieth Foulke.

I'm gonna disagree, it's the greatest moment in sports history. It's the Battle Green of Lexington. Yes, it was a tidbit skirmish near Mass Ave but we all know that the end result was our great nation.

Can it with the sarcasm.  If you can't appreciate a huge defensive play to win a championship, and an immortal call by Johnny Most, that's fine.  However, it's not cool to mock those who are impressed by the play.

I know there's a certain segment of fans who would replace all the grainy black and white moments with important moments like Gerald Green winning the dunk contest.  Luckily, though, most of the fans on here are a bit more savvy than that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:02 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Ok...

The OP asked kind of a strange question and took a position that pretty much no one would agree with...which was just odd. Then everyone reacted a little to strongly and he got his feelings hurt. No one likes to get ripped on. So he fought back with a little sarcasm. Now its just devolved into a little (five letter word) fight. Lock this - its been dumb from the start.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:59 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
[
 it's not cool to mock those who are impressed by the play.

No... no more mocking?
 :(

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 12:13:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So TitleMaster, since it is your opinion that this particular play should be put in mothballs when a montage of the best plays in Celtic history is put together, then exactly what are you suggestions for the top, say, ten plays that should be being shown instead of this one?

These are the ones I love:

- Havlicek stole the ball
- Bird stole the ball
- Henderson stole the ball
- McHale clotheslines Rambis
- That famous Bill Russell block where he blocks it on the run while turning his body and blocking the ball to a team mate to start a fast break.
- That famous Cousy dribbling footage where he's dribbling crazy ala a Harlem Globetrotter.
- Pierce's three pointer and one in the famous come from behind game against LA in the 2008 Finals.
- Pierce's dribble and trash talking that his defender couldn't stop him before pulling back and hitting the three for the game winner. I think that was like a Mother's Day playoff game versus someone, can't remember who or was that the NJ comeback game? Kinda fuzzy.
- Glenn MacDonald's turnaround baseline jumper in third OT  Game 5 vs Phoenix 1976

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 12:27:56 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
If anything, the "newer" generations should get more in touch with the incredible history of this team, not less, and it seems to me your original post does far more to support not mothballing this great historical play than it does the opposite.

Maybe we should stop teaching our kids about the signing of the Declaration of Independence or the Civil War or Geronimo or World War II or walking on the moon or ... well, you get the idea, (that's all been beyond 45 years). What makes this country great is it's history, (it's no different with sports), and to put a time limit on it would be absurd, IMHO. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 03:21:43 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I don't understand the reasoning.  There are plenty of great moments in NBA history, and that's one of the immediately recognizable ones.  However, I don't think it overshadows other great moments.  Rather, it stands beside them.

I find myself agreeing with Hobbs again. Why do we ever need to forget a moment in history?

Youth is wasted on the young
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 04:12:36 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This thread is just more proof.

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 04:38:06 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Sticking with my (trolling) comment.

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 08:02:46 AM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
So TitleMaster, since it is your opinion that this particular play should be put in mothballs when a montage of the best plays in Celtic history is put together, then exactly what are you suggestions for the top, say, ten plays that should be being shown instead of this one?

These are the ones I love:

- Havlicek stole the ball
- Bird stole the ball
- Henderson stole the ball
- McHale clotheslines Rambis
- That famous Bill Russell block where he blocks it on the run while turning his body and blocking the ball to a team mate to start a fast break.
- That famous Cousy dribbling footage where he's dribbling crazy ala a Harlem Globetrotter.
- Pierce's three pointer and one in the famous come from behind game against LA in the 2008 Finals.
- Pierce's dribble and trash talking that his defender couldn't stop him before pulling back and hitting the three for the game winner. I think that was like a Mother's Day playoff game versus someone, can't remember who or was that the NJ comeback game? Kinda fuzzy.
- Glenn MacDonald's turnaround baseline jumper in third OT  Game 5 vs Phoenix 1976

these are up there too.
Bird vs Dominque.
The Bird 3 point contest with him pointing his finger as the money ball goes in.
The Don nelson shot that hits the back of the rim and bounces straight up an in.

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think it was against the Pacers.

My favorite moment from recent Celtics history was when Pierce stole the jump ball in game 7 against the Cavs. LeBron had better position and is bigger than Pierce, he just didn't hustle as hard.