Author Topic: Did We Really Fleece the Nets?...  (Read 6555 times)

Did We Really Fleece the Nets?...
« on: January 14, 2021, 12:07:50 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
...Because they’ve got Durant, Irving and Harden. And our rebuild has been done for years. And we’ve got Tatum and Brown. Nice pieces, but we’re not beating that Big 3 anytime soon...

Sadly, at this point our best bet is for the season to be cancelled. Otherwise, it’s the Lakers or Nets winning the next title. 🤢

Danny’s gotta retire: He’s too toxic to free agents, nobody wants to trade with him anymore, and we last won a title almost 13 years ago, when George W. Bush was still president. We need to get Popovich here.

Re: Did We Really Fleece the Nets?...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 12:12:16 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yes we did.  Nets getting a couple stars via free agency many years later doesn't change that fact. 

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 12:13:17 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Kinda separate issues at this point.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 12:13:19 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Yes we did.  Nets getting a couple stars via free agency many years later doesn't change that fact.

# of Celtics Titles Since 2013
=
# of Nets Titles Since 2013
=
0 (Until 2021?)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:20:51 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

1) These aren't mutually exclusive - both fleecing the Nets in 2013 and them having three stars right now can and did happen.

2) Acting like Tatum and Brown - probably the best young duo in the league today - are chump change is a bad take.

3) It's far from a given that their "Big 3" is going to be a substantial force and outshine us, as they have many holes and MANY personality/characteristic issues to face. While I was skeptical of KD fitting in GS, that was a substantially better fit just given the playing styles and overall characters of those guys. This is something completely different with three of the most iso-heavy guys in the league (and historically for both Harden and Kyrie) trying to play together. And that is not even considering the substantial personality challenges - e.g. Kyrie's sabbatical and Harden's recent antics when he wasn't getting his way - or major defensive and depth issues they have.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:23:43 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

1) These aren't mutually exclusive - both fleecing the Nets in 2013 and them having three stars right now can and did happen.

2) Acting like Tatum and Brown - probably the best young duo in the league today - are chump change is a bad take.

3) It's far from a given that their "Big 3" is going to be a substantial force and outshine us, as they have many holes and MANY personality/characteristic issues to face. While I was skeptical of KD fitting in GS, that was a substantially better fit just given the playing styles and overall characters of those guys. This is something completely different with three of the most iso-heavy guys in the league (and historically for both Harden and Kyrie) trying to play together. And that is not even considering the substantial personality challenges - e.g. Kyrie's sabbatical and Harden's recent antics when he wasn't getting his way - or major defensive and depth issues they have.

I’ll always say I can be wrong. I may be wrong here. But I’m emotional right now seeing the worst-case scenario with regards to Harden. I did not want him in the East unless it was on our team, and I definitely did not want him teaming up with Irving.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:24 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
...Because they’ve got Durant, Irving and Harden.

8 years later.

The C's have been better over the last 4-5 years because of that trade.

The C's would have likely been worse if they held on to Pierce and Garrett being stuck in mediocrity (unless rebuilding later somehow would have landed them Luka and other studs).

The Nets have been worse the last 6 years because of that trade.

Yes the C's won.

Hey maybe the C's really lost the Robert Parish trade with Golden State since they were winning championships the last few years and the C's weren't.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:05:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Obviously yes.  I’m sure the Nets would have still signed Durant and Kyrie if Tatum and JB were on the roster. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 01:15:56 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So Tatum and Brown are putting up superstar numbers but they're "nice pieces?" I'd say wait until things settle down before making rash judgements.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 01:43:26 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cs did fleece the Nets but it wasn’t has bad as people think. Ainge took back that nasty Wallace contract and gave back a lottery pick for Kyrie.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:06 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Man, if this is the level of quality that posts will be around here for the time being, I might have to take a break from this site.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 02:00:30 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
...Because they’ve got Durant, Irving and Harden.

8 years later.

The C's have been better over the last 4-5 years because of that trade.

The C's would have likely been worse if they held on to Pierce and Garrett being stuck in mediocrity (unless rebuilding later somehow would have landed them Luka and other studs).

The Nets have been worse the last 6 years because of that trade.

Yes the C's won.

Hey maybe the C's really lost the Robert Parish trade with Golden State since they were winning championships the last few years and the C's weren't.

Yeah, I always thought that Parish trade, oh and didn’t we get McHale in that trade too, would come back and haunt us!  :)

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 02:25:56 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
C’s had a heist. The Nets gambled on PP/KG and lost. The results speak for themselves. What would’ve made the trade even is if 1) the picks turned out to be busts or 2) the Nets won a ring.

Now, the Nets have gambled again. And unless the Nets win a ring, the Rockets also have themselves quite a boon. 4 picks AND 4 swaps? That’s a pretty great haul
- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 02:57:03 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
C’s had a heist. The Nets gambled on PP/KG and lost. The results speak for themselves. What would’ve made the trade even is if 1) the picks turned out to be busts or 2) the Nets won a ring.

Now, the Nets have gambled again. And unless the Nets win a ring, the Rockets also have themselves quite a boon. 4 picks AND 4 swaps? That’s a pretty great haul

Biggest haul in history maybe?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 03:43:53 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Biggest haul in history maybe?

Billy King must have snuck into the GM's office and made the call.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)