Author Topic: A small trade I would love the Celtics to do  (Read 3538 times)

Re: A small trade I would love the Celtics to do
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 08:30:02 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I despise Maggette but have always liked Bynum.  The Cs should have kept him when he was in camp years ago. He and his HS teammate Tony Allen are both tough minded guards that really compete.

Last night, Bynum singlehandedly held back a furiou Heat comeback attempt by throwing on a Superman cape and hitting all kind of pull up jumpers and drives to the hoop.  he's make a great backup PG/microwave type off the pine. 

Maggette makes sense as an expiring contract.  Dallas is praying that someone will take Marion's $9m salary next season so they can make a run at two max FAs (D Ho and CP3).  Ship Maggette's contract to Dallas and take back Marion,  and the Cs now have a roster that can better compete with the Heat.  An added benefit would be to weaken both LA teams if CP3 and Howard sign with the Mavs this summer. 

Dallas sends Marion to Boston and a pick to Detroit and gets Maggette's expiring $10m contract.

Boston sends Green and Lee to Detroit and get Marion and Bynum

Detroit loses Mags and Bynum and get Lee and Green along with a Dallas draft pick. 

You might have to tweak this trade with some flotsam to get it to work money wise, but it makes sense for all three teams. 

Boston gets two tough guys, a solid backup PG in Bynum, on an expiring deal, and a defensive minded Marion, who can play all three front court positions.  A lineup of KG, Marion, PP, AB and RR would be amazing defensively, and would also space out the floor quite nicely.  Boston's rotation all of a sudden makes a lot more sense. 

Dallas gets the cap space they desperately need this summer.

Detroit gets two relatively cost controlled players with ability at both ends. green might not be the best fit with Prince and Jerebko already on the roster, but would be a better trading piece than Maggette this summer (after building up his value putting up meaningless numbers in a low pressure situation in Detroit, something that fits Green well).   

This.

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I despise Maggette but have always liked Bynum.  The Cs should have kept him when he was in camp years ago. He and his HS teammate Tony Allen are both tough minded guards that really compete.

Last night, Bynum singlehandedly held back a furiou Heat comeback attempt by throwing on a Superman cape and hitting all kind of pull up jumpers and drives to the hoop.  he's make a great backup PG/microwave type off the pine. 

Maggette makes sense as an expiring contract.  Dallas is praying that someone will take Marion's $9m salary next season so they can make a run at two max FAs (D Ho and CP3).  Ship Maggette's contract to Dallas and take back Marion,  and the Cs now have a roster that can better compete with the Heat.  An added benefit would be to weaken both LA teams if CP3 and Howard sign with the Mavs this summer. 

Dallas sends Marion to Boston and a pick to Detroit and gets Maggette's expiring $10m contract.

Detroit loses Mags and Bynum and get Lee and Green along with a Dallas draft pick. 

You might have to tweak this trade with some flotsam to get it to work money wise, but it makes sense for all three teams. 

Boston gets two tough guys, a solid backup PG in Bynum, on an expiring deal, and a defensive minded Marion, who can play all three front court positions.  A lineup of KG, Marion, PP, AB and RR would be amazing defensively, and would also space out the floor quite nicely.  Boston's rotation all of a sudden makes a lot more sense. 

Detroit gets two relatively cost controlled players with ability at both ends. green might not be the best fit with Prince and Jerebko already on the roster, but would be a better trading piece than Maggette this summer (after building up his value putting up meaningless numbers in a low pressure situation in Detroit, something that fits Green well).   

This.

Yeah, I really like that too.

Swapping Jeff Green for Marion is a nice bit of business (short term anyway) for Boston. Moving Marion for cap space could be of interest to Dallas (although not sure how good this year's FA market is).

I think Detroit is the big variable there. Whether there is enough in it for them. I wonder if they'd need to find a new home for Tayshaun Prince before taking on Jeff Green. Jeff Green is a big contract to take on board with Prince already there. Minutes wise too. Hmm, maybe they'd play them alongside one another. They are already playing Prince + Singler alongside each other. Prince and J.Green could work. Yeah, maybe, that might work even with Prince still on the roster.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Chris Paul, Dwight, Bynum, Al Jefferson to name a few free agents.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Chris Paul, Dwight, Bynum, Al Jefferson to name a few free agents.

I don't really consider Chris Paul or Dwight Howard free agents since I don't think there is any chance either player leaves their respective teams.

Andrew Bynum is a very tempting name. A big man combination of Dirk and Bynum would be virtually unguardable. That would be an incredible sight. Huge injury risk and facing a $100 million five year deal. I don't know. Maybe.

Josh Smith is another big name. Smith, like A.Bynum, would take a king's ransom to sign though. Andre Iguodala I believe is free agent also but, like J.Smith, I would be worried about the cost of acquiring him.

I don't think Big Al will be worth pursuing. Too expensive. Very weak defensively. He and Dirk would work well offensively but they'd be far too weak on the other end of the floor. Bad fit. If the market fell through for him though, Big Al could be a good Kaman-esque signing like what Dallas did this summer with Kaman and OJ Mayo.

Millsap will be available too. Dallas seem committed to keeping Dirk at PF and slotting a center alongside him though. Limited value to Dallas.

There are a lot of good names there but I am not sure how much value there is for Dallas since they'd have to blow up their team and pay huge salaries for players will struggle to earn that paycheck.

Edit: I am looking up a free agent list now. A few other names that jump out = Brandon Jennings, Jose Calderon, Monta Ellis, Manu Ginobili (like CP3 and Dwight, I can't see him leaving his team), Kevin Martin, Dallas' OJ Mayo, David West, Nikola Pekovic,

I think Brandon Jennings could be a good option for Dallas. Young point guard. Talented. Still has room for growth / improvement. He doesn't seem committed to Milwaukee nor they to him. Might be able to get him away on a solid contract.

Pekovic might be a good option also. Defense is an issue alongside Dirk but if they can keep the contract down it might be workable.

It'll be very interesting to see what Dallas does next.

They are in a strange place with Dirk and trying to compete for title. And the lack of elite talent around him. And trying to find ways to acquire top tier help for Dirk. You could see them going in a lot of different directions with that roster / cap flexibility.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:10:51 PM by Who »

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yikes. What a terrible deal for us.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 10:50:36 PM »

Offline BIGTIME_CELTICS

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9

I love this trade. This defensive lineup is disastrous. but the only thing is we aint beating Miami with the small lineup unless Marion returns to his Phx form. Our backup is much more defined with Bynum/JT/Sullinger/Bass/Wilcox/Joseph
JT would be established as the No.1 option no question.