Author Topic: Before jumping on the Bender hype train review....  (Read 27873 times)

Re: Before jumping on the Bender hype train review....
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 12:05:48 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I'm confident DA can work a trade for Oakfor . 

I'm not conceding to us taking Bender

Why are you so sure DA wants to spend his best asset on a guy as flawed as Okafor? Because he spun the wheels with Philly about him at the deadline?

If were gonna take a flawed young Philly big, I'd rather it be Noel. Certainly fits much better into what this team is trying to do. Okafor would change the entire dynamic of what this team is trying to do.

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2016, 12:19:13 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Spot on analysis. He does nothing well. His best qualities are average at best.

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2016, 12:23:21 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I love how some try to kill this kid by just talking about his weaknesses and talk about him as an unknown due to playing time. Lets be clear. Guys like Murray and Bender have been around for years. Murray has played in two Nike Hoop Summit's. NBA scouts can scout the practices. Bender played in Basketball without Borders which is also an nba scouted event.

I find it laughable that people are trying to kill Bender on his lack of strength, explosion, age, and frame when those are some of the MAJOR weaknesses of Ingram as well. I guess we shouldnt even consider Ingram either.

Triboy you keep hammering this kid cus you love Heild but you never mention his flaws. Lets take a look. Not a playmaker, not a shot creator, not a good defender, is 3 or 4 years older than any of the players we are talking about.

Lets talk about what a player can offer now and in the future not just the negative.

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2016, 12:24:59 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Spot on analysis. He does nothing well. His best qualities are average at best.

Ok how many games have you seen him play?

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2016, 12:32:54 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Everyone seems to have taken sides here which I will say for the hundredth time I don't understand.

This scouting report, while it doesn't really show anything new, is concerning.

If we are to draft Bender the idea would be that he has star potential. But it appears that might not be the case. He seems to be a jack of all trades type who will have to add a bunch of weight and it remains to be seen if his athletic abilities will hold up on an NBA stage. Also a factor I've yet to really hear about is injury risk.

He's a seven footer who recently battled a bone bruise in his foot.

7 footers and foot injuries are terrifying to me.

Hopefully Danny can get him in for some workouts etc and we can answer some of these questions.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2016, 12:35:43 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think there's a difference between a broken foot and a bone bruise in your foot.

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2016, 12:39:11 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
I think there's a difference between a broken foot and a bone bruise in your foot.
Yes there certainly is. I just don't like it. any time I hear a foot injury mentioned in connection with a 7+ footer that raises a flag for me.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2016, 12:39:12 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Everyone seems to have taken sides here which I will say for the hundredth time I don't understand.

If we are to draft Bender the idea would be that he has star potential. But it appears that might not be the case. He seems to be a jack of all trades type who will have to add a bunch of weight and it remains to be seen if his athletic abilities will hold up on an NBA stage. Also a factor I've yet to really hear about is injury risk.

Hopefully Danny can get him in for some workouts etc and we can answer some of these questions.

All of the potential picks have concerning issues. I like Murray but how athletic is he and how many players do you have to trade off this team to make room for him. Brown, I really like him but how long before he gets a consistent shot. Heild, is there anything this kid does besides be a good shooter? Lets not pretend that Bender is the only player with flaws

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I love how some try to kill this kid by just talking about his weaknesses and talk about him as an unknown due to playing time. Lets be clear. Guys like Murray and Bender have been around for years. Murray has played in two Nike Hoop Summit's. NBA scouts can scout the practices. Bender played in Basketball without Borders which is also an nba scouted event.

I find it laughable that people are trying to kill Bender on his lack of strength, explosion, age, and frame when those are some of the MAJOR weaknesses of Ingram as well. I guess we shouldnt even consider Ingram either.

Triboy you keep hammering this kid cus you love Heild but you never mention his flaws. Lets take a look. Not a playmaker, not a shot creator, not a good defender, is 3 or 4 years older than any of the players we are talking about.

Lets talk about what a player can offer now and in the future not just the negative.

Ingram has some red flags no doubt.  He is skinny but he is also projected to play the SF position at the next level.    He doesn't have to "battle" "play physical" nearly as much as a PF or center.   His main bread and butter on offense will be his jumper (which is very nice).  And if you try to "cheat"  , he can handle the ball to the basket and do all sorts of things to score

defensively he is not explosive but has range to cover his man/length to block shots 

Ingram had a very good freshman year with several big games under his belt.

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2016, 12:42:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I am liking the idea more of Bender as a running center than as a forward.

I think his shooting and passing ability could be massive weapons at center. As could his transition game and ball-handling.

Genuine quickness advantage here too which I am not convinced he has at the PF position. He is not ready to be a center today but maybe in a few years time. Sort of like a center version of what Draymond Green does for GSW.

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2016, 12:49:39 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

All of the potential picks have concerning issues. I like Murray but how athletic is he and how many players do you have to trade off this team to make room for him. Brown, I really like him but how long before he gets a consistent shot. Heild, is there anything this kid does besides be a good shooter? Lets not pretend that Bender is the only player with flaws
I agree with your whole post.

I don't think your last line really had anything to do with my post tho(perhaps more aimed at the thread in general). I agree those guys have flaws. I worry about those flaws too. But in a Dragan Bender thread, it's fair to discuss Dragan Bender issues.

I am concerned about a potential lack of elite athleticism and skills.

Saying "well Murray and Ingram also lack elite athleticism" does little to assuage my concerns or improve my evaluation of Bender.

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2016, 12:54:28 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
The uncertainty surrounding all the prospects at the 3 spot, not just Bender, makes me think Danny will try like crazy to trade the pick for someone good first before he makes the pick.

I will say that out of Bender, Murray, Hield, Dunn, and Brown, I'm most in favor of taking Bender. Shoot me.

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2016, 12:58:52 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Ingram has some red flags no doubt.  He is skinny but he is also projected to play the SF position at the next level.    He doesn't have to "battle" "play physical" nearly as much as a PF or center.   His main bread and butter on offense will be his jumper (which is very nice).  And if you try to "cheat"  , he can handle the ball to the basket and do all sorts of things to score

defensively he is not explosive but has range to cover his man/length to block shots 

To me is seems like you ignore the progress the kid as made but love to give Heild credit for the progress he has made. DX has 4 years worth of reports on this kid. They have scouted him longer than Ingram has even been on the scene. This isnt a knock on Ingram its just to say it seems like you are picking and choosing when to apply certain standards.

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

I agree with your whole post.

I don't think your last line really had anything to do with my post tho(perhaps more aimed at the thread in general). I agree those guys have flaws. I worry about those flaws too. But in a Dragan Bender thread, it's fair to discuss Dragan Bender issues.

I am concerned about a potential lack of elite athleticism and skills.

Saying "well Murray and Ingram also lack elite athleticism" does little to assuage my concerns or improve my evaluation of Bender.

no that last sentence didnt have anything to do with you. What Im saying is that there are only 2 elite athletes projected in the top 10 Brown and Simmons. Im looking at what a player can do now vs what they couldnt do before and try and project out. I take all the players flaws into perspective. I guess what Im saying is that people seem to want to jump on his flaws but never mention other prospects flaws.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

To me is seems like you ignore the progress the kid as made but love to give Heild credit for the progress he has made. DX has 4 years worth of reports on this kid. They have scouted him longer than Ingram has even been on the scene. This isnt a knock on Ingram its just to say it seems like you are picking and choosing when to apply certain standards.

What's next?  Lebron Jr.  and Wade Jr.  have been scouted since 5, so they are going to be both  be like their dads at the NBA level?

It matters little what Bender did at 15. Just like it matters little Ingram was considered an average prospect at age 15.