Author Topic: How good will Tatum be next year?  (Read 3648 times)

Re: How good will Tatum be next year?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm really wondering how Tatum, Brown, and Hayward are going to coexist. Seems they're going to keep running into one another trying to handle and create in the same space; hopefully I am wrong about this, or maybe Hayward can re-establish his role as the sixth man. I wish we could use a few assets to turn Brown and Hayward into a good young center and PG.

Hayward is much more of a point forward than those two. Every play should start with the ball in his hands, and he can get the other guys good open looks.

The bad shots come when the play moves to Tatum first, and he overdribbles and/or takes a hero shot.

Brown is much more content to move to open spots and/or cut to the basket, so I don't think he's an issue.
We'll end up with Run JJG, lol.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Remember when Pierce exploded to 26ppg and everyone was like wow, we've got something special here. I'm not saying it's going to be this year but I am certainly expecting at least 20ppg with increased minutes and the ball-hog black hole of Kyrie Irving off the team.

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Remember when Pierce exploded to 26ppg and everyone was like wow, we've got something special here. I'm not saying it's going to be this year but I am certainly expecting at least 20ppg with increased minutes and the ball-hog black hole of Kyrie Irving off the team.
Get prepared for an even bigger ball-hog black hole this year with Tatum... except he won't be as good of a scorer and passer as Kyrie was.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Get prepared for an even bigger ball-hog black hole this year with Tatum... except he won't be as good of a scorer and passer as Kyrie was.

I doubt it. I expect Stevens to reassert control over this team. More than any other change, I expect that management will demand a return to the team first culture we've had pre-Kyrie.

I expect a re-commitment to pace and movement.

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
You know, obviously the jury is still out on Tatum and he might never live up to exceptions. Entirely possible. Kyrie is and will always be an ****. I don't want him back and neither should you. The absolute definition of the word cancer.

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I doubt it. I expect Stevens to reassert control over this team. More than any other change, I expect that management will demand a return to the team first culture we've had pre-Kyrie.

I expect a re-commitment to pace and movement.
I doubt it. People act like it's Kyrie's fault that we have a bunch of tunnel vision wings that are bad playmakers. This is gonna be exposed even more without Al Horford.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 03:06:31 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm just waiting for the Memphis pick to roll over until 2021 when we land the top pick and draft Jalen Green.
By then the 2 J's will be All-Stars and the 3rd J will be the next great thing.

this link is crazy long...but if you have the time...it's his junior year highlights. He'll be senior next year. Not sure if he's eligible for reclassification into 2020 draft thogh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpg--X7Z3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpg--X7Z3s
Jaylen Brown and Jalen Green

Is there a Jailen White out there too?

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Tatum will vary up his offensive game with increased touches and will score 20-25 per game. I think his efficiency will probably struggle a bit. But the narrative will be that he's back on track.

Jaylen will be more like he's been in the playoffs. High teens scoring, defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I have a feeling Brown will be the one averaging 20 points. Brown is more alpha than Tatum and is more likely to lead the team in scoring next year.

I disagree personally.

Tatum is more level headed but is also FAR more skilled offensively. 

Jaylen's strengths are his ability to attack the basket and draw fouls, and he is also solid at making open spot up threes.  Even when he does get to the line, he shoots FTs at a poor percentage and can't really make the defense pay for it.  He's also limited in his ability to create his own offense due to poor very limited handles and a general inability to make difficult/contested shots with any kind of consistency.

Jaylen played well at times last season, but at the same time no NBA ever really gameplanned defensively for Jaylen.  Kyrie and Tatum were the focal point of every defense - which is why they were both frequently forced to take difficult contested shots.  Brown often got ignored and had a lot of wide open looks, all he really had to do is knock them down.

The special thing about Tatum is that he has a special ability to create shots.  He has the quickness and ball handling ability to create space almost any time he wants, and the height/length/elevation to be able to get his shot off even when heavily contested.  And if teams close our hard on him he has the quickness and handle to blow by, and is already an impressive finisher around the basket. 

For Tatum I think it's just a matter of repetitions.  Remember, this kid is only 20 years old.

- Kawhi didn't average 20 PPG until his 5th season, at age of 24
- Jimmy Butler didn't average 20 PPG until his 4h season, at age 25
- Steph Curry didn't average 20 PPG until his 4th season, age 24
- Klay thompson didn't average 20 PPG until his 4th season, age 24
- Kevin Garnett didn't average 20 PPG until his 4th season, age 22
- Kobe didn't average 20 PPG until his 4th season, age 21

Those guys all went on to become bonafide superstars.

Fact is that rookies very rarely come in to the NBA and put up 20 PPG seasons in their first or second years.  It happens, but it's incredibly rare. 

Some of the guys who did? Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Tim Duncan, Dwyane Wade - these are guys who became perennial MVP candidates and guaranteed first ballot future hall of famers.

So you have to have patience - Tatum is a special offensive talent.  He entered this league as a 19 year old rookie who already had the type of offensive move-set that a lot of 10 year veterans would be jealous of - and he also came in to the league as a plus defender in his rookie year.  It's EXTREMELY rare to find 19 year old rookies who are NBA ready on both ends of the court from day one.

If we look at the Per-36 production of Tatum and Brown (they may well play those minutes this coming season) you get the following:

Brown:  18.1 Pts, 5.9 reb, 1.9 ast, 1.3 stl, 0.6 blk, 46% FG, 34% 3PT, 66% FT
Tatum: 18.2 Pts, 7.0 Reb, 2.0 Ast, 1.2 Stl, 0.8 Blk, 45% FG, 37% 3PT, 85% FT

Those are very nice numbers for two perimeter based players who were 20 and 22 years of age (respectively) and playing in their 2nd and 3rd seasons. 

Especially when you consider that they both put up those numbers on a playoff team - this was not your typical case of rookies putting up exaggerated numbers on bad tams (e.g Jahlil Okafor).