Author Topic: A. Sherod Blakely has Kobe on his Mount Rushmore  (Read 6562 times)

Re: A. Sherod Blakely has Kobe on his Mount Rushmore
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Hakeem is, to me, the one man who will always be on that list.  He is the one player in history who is almost without flaw.  The guy was an elite scorer, an elite rebounder, an elite defender, and an elite big man passer.  The guy stuffed the box scores in every way imaginable and is the only player in history to record two career quadruple doubles.  He also played in an era that may have been the most competitive in NBA history in terms of quality centers - he was going up against Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Smits, Sabonis...and he when he went one on one against those guys he dominated almost every one of them.

I would not put Duncan anywhere near that list however.  My lord...he's never even been the best player in his era, let alone top 5 all time.  Duncan's noteworthy achievements have all been team achievements, not individual.  If you look at his stats, his talent level, it's skill level, his versatility - he doesn't come close to guys like Hakeem, Magic, Bird, Jordan, etc.  Duncan is an excellent player who excelled because he plays within himself, and because he has an incredibly high IQ...but he has never had any special skill or talent level that separates him from a billion other fantastic big men that have come and gone over the years.  Honestly, what can Tim Duncan do that Patrick Ewing, or David Robinson, or Hakeem, or Marc Gasol, or KG, or even Rasheed Wallace COULDN'T do?  Absolutely nothing.  The only fact anyone can ever produce to back Duncan is the number of rings he has, which is entirely a team achievement - and even in that regard he's still behind Kobe.

Duncan is one of the best power forwards to ever play, but he's ridiculously overrated.

I'm curious about why you think that Hakeem is elite at so many things when TD, who seems to do many of those things as well or better than Hakeem did, has (relatively speaking) dime-a-dozen skills.
http://bkref.com/tiny/B50Q7

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
The big feather in Hakeem's cap is that when Michael left and all the great players from that era had their shot to win, only Hakeem did.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I have Kobe at a special place in my home .....call it MY Mount Poo Mor

Under the toilet lid.