Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 397274 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #1380 on: December 30, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
(yes it's complement, not being a prick about it but I see a lot of Americans get it wrong, which is understandable given the pronunciation of the word)
Then try not being a prick about it? Grammar police  ::)

"not to be" then being the thing is one of the most annoying ticks people have.
Sure, I guess you like people not politely telling you whenever you make a mistake so you continue looking like an idiot because they somehow must be a prick about it (I certainly don't believe how I pointed out the error was what a prick/grammar police would do, they'd be much more direct and rude with their approach).

Feeling insulted because someone Somebody politely pointed out that you made a mistake is one of the most annoying ticks people have ::)

fixed it for you

« Reply #1381 on: December 30, 2019, 10:33:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its always a sign you're being incredibly polite when you feel the need to say "not to be a prick" as a preface. Definitely not sheer condescension, especially when you feel the need to mention what country I'm from as a reason for a typo/grammar error.

Anyways the Wolves/Nets game continues to be hilarious as the officials just granted a timeout with .2 seconds left when no one had the ball for some reason, going to OT.

« Reply #1382 on: December 30, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Its always a sign you're being incredibly polite when you feel the need to say "not to be a prick" as a preface. Definitely not sheer condescension, especially when you feel the need to mention what country I'm from as a reason for a typo/grammar error.

Anyways the Wolves/Nets game continues to be hilarious as the officials just granted a timeout with .2 seconds left when no one had the ball for some reason, going to OT.
That's just you, I had no intention of being condescending nor to be a prick about it. Not every comment with those words has to mean that someone is trying to angle in a swipe or insult, but you do you.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1383 on: December 30, 2019, 10:49:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wolves pulled off the win in OT against the Nets. Napier and Dieng just dominated the last bit of the 4th and OT, weird game night in full force.

Man Dinwiddie was bad late in the game, just doesn't have the help necessary to make plays. Has to do it all on his own right now.

« Reply #1384 on: December 30, 2019, 10:54:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The thing about the terms "complementary talent" or " complementary piece" or "complementary player" is that when used in the context of American sports, it is generally a derogatory term. When Ainge used the term on Olynyk, he was using it to say, he won't be a star, he doesn't have that type of talent. His talent is only good enough to be a role player that plays along with the players that have the "real" talent, so to say.

« Reply #1385 on: December 30, 2019, 11:45:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The Wizards spanked the Miami Heat tonight - despite having Bradley Beal and *four* other rotation players out injured.

Our periodic reminder that even good NBA teams will have bad, inexplicable nights. Possibly the Heat were too jazzed by their big win over Philly and took this game for granted...

« Reply #1386 on: December 31, 2019, 08:13:03 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The Wizards spanked the Miami Heat tonight - despite having Bradley Beal and *four* other rotation players out injured.

Our periodic reminder that even good NBA teams will have bad, inexplicable nights. Possibly the Heat were too jazzed by their big win over Philly and took this game for granted...
Yeah certainly and I do think in reality all NBA teams have really good players on them and the gap between the good and the bad isn't so much that a game here or there can have strange results.  The best teams though are that way because of their consistency over the course of a season.  It is why you really shouldn't put to much stock in any individual game or even a 5 game string of games. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1387 on: December 31, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Man 76ers stinking up the joint. With embiid out, Horford has continued to show really dangerous signs of steep decline going 1-6 from Field In the first half. Wonder if they can at least be competitive in second half

« Reply #1388 on: December 31, 2019, 05:04:27 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Wonder if they can at least be competitive in second half
They were not.

We're almost 40 games in, teams that look like this don't suddenly become contenders - I think Celtics fans know this by now. James "Literally Jimmy" Butler is not walking through that door.

« Reply #1389 on: December 31, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Man 76ers stinking up the joint. With embiid out, Horford has continued to show really dangerous signs of steep decline going 1-6 from Field In the first half. Wonder if they can at least be competitive in second half

Horford 2-12 and 3 rebounds.

109m well spent by the Sixers?

« Reply #1390 on: December 31, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Wonder if they can at least be competitive in second half
They were not.

We're almost 40 games in, teams that look like this don't suddenly become contenders - I think Celtics fans know this by now. James "Literally Jimmy" Butler is not walking through that door.

I kept saying it before the season started, if the Sixers think they got better by replacing Jimmy Butler and Redick with Horford, think again!

« Reply #1391 on: December 31, 2019, 05:18:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah certainly and I do think in reality all NBA teams have really good players on them and the gap between the good and the bad isn't so much that a game here or there can have strange results.  The best teams though are that way because of their consistency over the course of a season.  It is why you really shouldn't put to much stock in any individual game or even a 5 game string of games.

Another thing to keep in mind here is that the Wizards are a bad team with an elite offense.

I don't care how bad your defense is, if you have a top 5 offense in the league, you're going to win some games against far better opponents.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1392 on: December 31, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Another thing to keep in mind here is that the Wizards are a bad team with an elite offense.

I don't care how bad your defense is, if you have a top 5 offense in the league, you're going to win some games against far better opponents.

True.

The NBA is all about offense nowadays.

There was no way all 30 NBA teams would average 100 points per game 10 years ago.

« Reply #1393 on: December 31, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
After beating the Bucks convincingly, the Sixers have now lost 3 straight to the Magic, Heat and Pacers 

Similar to the last few years, the biggest weakness on the Sixers is their lack of depth, and it shows. They truly miss the shooting from Butler/Reddick types. And when Embiid doesn't play, that team sinks.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1394 on: December 31, 2019, 07:17:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
After beating the Bucks convincingly, the Sixers have now lost 3 straight to the Magic, Heat and Pacers 

Similar to the last few years, the biggest weakness on the Sixers is their lack of depth, and it shows. They truly miss the shooting from Butler/Reddick types. And when Embiid doesn't play, that team sinks.

You'd think that Ben Simmons + Tobias Harris + Al Horford would get you a decent offense even without Embiid.

But the Sixers are basically a league average offense overall.  That undercuts their elite defense.

In 792 minutes without Embiid this season, the Sixers have a 111 offensive rating and a 109 defensive rating.  That's the point differential you'd expect for a team that's just above .500.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain