Author Topic: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker  (Read 28004 times)

Re: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2020, 08:05:15 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
our bench is pretty weak this year, Wanamaker is just one of them, Shane Larkin would have been better. How come Waters isn't getting any minutes now.

« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Tonight is an example...

Wanna is an ok backup pg for the regular season but I hope he gets little playoff minutes. He will be turnover prone against good defensive pgs an lit up by microwave scorers. He will be picked on and exposed if he gets regular playoff minutes. He could come in as a change up Or possible steadying influence in a single game of a series but should not be relied upon as a 10min a game backup against contending teams.

He won’t lol calm down.

Phew! All good!

« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
our bench is pretty weak this year, Wanamaker is just one of them, Shane Larkin would have been better. How come Waters isn't getting any minutes now.
Because he is a G League player that isn't better than Wanamaker.

« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
Because he is a G League player that isn't better than Wanamaker.

Disagree totally, if Waters has been getting minutes from the beginning of the season he would be contributing in these big games . Wanamaker is useless. Good luck with him in the playoffs.  Can’t play him in these games.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  the bench is going to be the reason we get eliminated.putting more that 1 in at a time and it turns into more of a circus than a basketball game.

« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2020, 09:23:06 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Let's get all the hot takes out of the way. Every time Waters has played this season, he was awful... so why should we continue to shove him into the lineup? We're a contending team, so we have no time to develop fringe NBA players. Wanamaker sucked tonight, and it's unfortunate that it was the difference, but he's fine. Not the best, but definitely not a bum.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2020, 09:25:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Based on my analysis of the 60 PGs with the most minutes played through yesterday per BB-reference, Wannamaker is 45th in PER and in the low 20s on a variety of defensive statistics (steals, defensive rebounds, DWin shares, DBox +/-.

While I find him frustrating at times, that's a better than average profile for a back-up. I do think Waters will be better, but at this point, I can understand why BCS has faith in BW.

« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I still consider him fine as a backup PG when given limited minutes although his handle isn't great and he can't run an offense but today he was totally overmatched.  I'd consider this his worst game of the year by a comfortable margin

« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He's not a bad 9th or 10 guy. But he's actually now part of our second unit. When Kemba is hurt, he's a noticeable negative.

« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2020, 12:07:34 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
starting to feel we should just give all his minutes to either Grant Williams and Romeo

« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2020, 12:13:33 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Wanamaker is fine for a 3rd string PG.  I trust him more than the rookies.  He had a bad game, he has played a lot better than this lately.  Semi, Kanter and him were all bad today, it happens for various reasons.

Our roster must be pretty solid if we are up in arms about the 3rd string PG.

« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2020, 12:13:56 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

1) Waters is a two-player. There's a limit to how much he can play for us.
2) The last few games that he received real minutes, Waters had been bad. How bad? Brad elected to play lineups without a Point Guard.

« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2020, 02:43:24 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Wanamaker is fine for a 3rd string PG.  I trust him more than the rookies.  He had a bad game, he has played a lot better than this lately.  Semi, Kanter and him were all bad today, it happens for various reasons.

"3rd string PG" is a really misleading and outdated term. This makes it sound like when everyone is healthy, Wanamaker doesn't even make it on the court. That's obviously not the case, because Smart plays lots of different positions. Wanamaker is clearly part of the rotation right now and he's just not very good. In fact, a lot of the bench is not very good, especially on offense.

Even in a tighter playoff rotation, Wanamaker is going to play because he's one of the few backup guards who can be relatively trusted to handle the ball, and also because almost everyone else is a  totally green 20 year-old rookie.

This team is proving to be a lot better than any of us expected and while it's still a long shot, could be a contender THIS YEAR. With the team's really unbalanced roster construction, they're sacrificing experience and depth for quite a lot of rookies who don't really project to be stars and can't really be trusted in a playoff game.

Of course the trade deadline has passed and it's too late to make a big move, but there is still the buyout market. Even if none of the available guys are a slam dunk, would it be worth it if they were a 20% improvement over what we have? What if it's a wing or guard who can actually reliably score 10 pts in a playoff game? We have no Poseys or Houses on our team, and just because Tatum and Brown are young doesn't mean you should do nothing if you think you got a shot one year. Last I checked, Kemba and Hayward are smack dab in their primes and they don't have a lot of years left as stars.

« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2020, 02:51:22 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

"3rd string PG" is a really misleading and outdated term. This makes it sound like when everyone is healthy, Wanamaker doesn't even make it on the court. That's obviously not the case, because Smart plays lots of different positions. Wanamaker is clearly part of the rotation right now and he's just not very good. In fact, a lot of the bench is not very good, especially on offense.

Even in a tighter playoff rotation, Wanamaker is going to play because he's one of the few backup guards who can be relatively trusted to handle the ball, and also because almost everyone else is a  totally green 20 year-old rookie.

This team is proving to be a lot better than any of us expected and while it's still a long shot, could be a contender THIS YEAR. With the team's really unbalanced roster construction, they're sacrificing experience and depth for quite a lot of rookies who don't really project to be stars and can't really be trusted in a playoff game.

Of course the trade deadline has passed and it's too late to make a big move, but there is still the buyout market. Even if none of the available guys are a slam dunk, would it be worth it if they were a 20% improvement over what we have? What if it's a wing or guard who can actually reliably score 10 pts in a playoff game? We have no Poseys or Houses on our team, and just because Tatum and Brown are young doesn't mean you should do nothing if you think you got a shot one year. Last I checked, Kemba and Hayward are smack dab in their primes and they don't have a lot of years left as stars.

When fully healthy in the playoffs, I dont see him getting a lot of minutes. Probably a few DNPs as well. Unless Smart or Kemba gets injured or in foul trouble.

Although yeah I agree we need another guy, someone like House, Barbosa, GGreen. I dunno if Ainge is willing to eat Poirier's contract, but ideally his spot goes to guys who can help us from the buyout market.

« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2020, 08:12:42 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

When fully healthy in the playoffs, I dont see him getting a lot of minutes. Probably a few DNPs as well. Unless Smart or Kemba gets injured or in foul trouble.

Although yeah I agree we need another guy, someone like House, Barbosa, GGreen. I dunno if Ainge is willing to eat Poirier's contract, but ideally his spot goes to guys who can help us from the buyout market.

The problem is Poirier is guaranteed for next year, too. Given how close we will be to the tax (hopefully trying to stay under one more year), I can't imagine Ainge is just willing to eat that money. I think most of us were hoping he would attach a 2nd round pick to him and at least clear his roster spot.

At this point, the only players not on guaranteed contracts for next season are Wanamaker, Green, Ojeleye, and Theis (club options for Green, Ojeleye and Theis). With the emergence of Romeo, I suppose Green could be cut for a solid buy-out player, but I think it has to be the right guy for that to happen.

Like it or not, we are probably stuck with who we have. Fully healthy, we should really be able to compete.