Author Topic: Our draft picks are now super important  (Read 10901 times)

Re: Our draft picks are now super important
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2019, 11:24:14 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Kyrie 21.3m + Horford 30.1m = 51.3m.

Celts will have enough cap room for D-Lo if that 51.3m is off the payroll.
Total salary after Kyrie and Horford walk would be $71.8 million. Then you have cap holds for the three draft picks and an empty roster slot. That's slightly over $8 million. So let's call salary and holds total $80 million. You would then need to renounce Rozier, Theis, Wanamaker and Morris to clear open $29 million in cap space.

Not sure which free agent you could sign but I heard Jrue Holiday wasn't keen on staying in New Orleans without Davis and his salary would fit into our cap, so maybe try to convince Griffin to salary dump Holiday to us.

And Holiday was just a suggestion, perhaps Danny tries to trade for a big under the same circumstances by absorbing salary via trade into the cap space.

Ya but then you have the issue of subtracting Horford and adding a 29 year old Holiday is really just a lateral move. I mean pretty much anybody we could reasonably sign would be, unless you are playing the restricted free agent game.
Oh I am not advocating for such things to happen. My preference is to keep Horford long term. Try to convince Al to opt out and sign a new 4 year, $73 million deal that starts at $20 million and decreases by 8% a year for the next three years.

Why would you want Horford on a rebuilding team?

Horford is better off chasing a ring than baby sitting guys like Tatum and Brown.

The Celts are not contenders anymore.

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2019, 11:26:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Total salary after Kyrie and Horford walk would be $71.8 million. Then you have cap holds for the three draft picks and an empty roster slot. That's slightly over $8 million. So let's call salary and holds total $80 million. You would then need to renounce Rozier, Theis, Wanamaker and Morris to clear open $29 million in cap space.

Not sure which free agent you could sign but I heard Jrue Holiday wasn't keen on staying in New Orleans without Davis and his salary would fit into our cap, so maybe try to convince Griffin to salary dump Holiday to us.

And Holiday was just a suggestion, perhaps Danny tries to trade for a big under the same circumstances by absorbing salary via trade into the cap space.

Ya but then you have the issue of subtracting Horford and adding a 29 year old Holiday is really just a lateral move. I mean pretty much anybody we could reasonably sign would be, unless you are playing the restricted free agent game.
Oh I am not advocating for such things to happen. My preference is to keep Horford long term. Try to convince Al to opt out and sign a new 4 year, $73 million deal that starts at $20 million and decreases by 8% a year for the next three years.

Horford is better off chasing a ring than baby sitting guys like Tatum and Brown.

I agree, I love Horford but if you are now building around the Jays you arent peaking for abut three years, at which point Horford is probably well into decline.

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2019, 11:32:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Because he is an excellent player, one of the best role models around for young players, a great locker room presence, and because his total skillset is one of the most sought after in the league. Without Horford, our front line is rubbish.

Replacing Horford with Holiday while also having to completely move on from Morris, Rozier, Theis and Wanamaker is a major step backwards, IMO. If you are doing that, may as well go full blow up mode and strip the team down to Brown Tatum Smart and just add a bunch of rookies, suck for a few years and stock the team with high draft picks.

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2019, 11:35:18 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Because he is an excellent player, one of the best role models around for young players, a great locker room presence, and because his total skillset is one of the most sought after in the league. Without Horford, our front line is rubbish.

Replacing Horford with Holiday while also having to completely move on from Morris, Rozier, Theis and Wanamaker is a major step backwards, IMO. If you are doing that, may as well go full blow up mode and strip the team down to Brown Tatum Smart and just add a bunch of rookies, suck for a few years and stock the team with high draft picks.

I mean to be fair his "great locker room presence" didn't prevent our team chemistry from being a dumpster fire last year. And his skill set, tho impressive, is subject to probable decline entering his age 33 season. Not saying we should let him go like n the above scenario, but it makes some sense to move him for value if we can.

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2019, 11:35:43 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

[dang], a lot of people are counting us dead already. Come through DA, don't let the pessimists win!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2019, 11:37:08 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

That's not how this works. 

But yeah, if we let Rozier and Morris walk, Kyrie leaves and Horford leaves, we should have a shade under 30 mil in cap space.

Yes, I know about the cap holds.

But right now the Celts are not close to becoming a contender.

Horford is not a priority.

Ainge can package 3 picks for 1, to make more cap room.

Celts don't need Morris anymore.

D-Lo is a better option than Rozier.

It can be done.

Yes he is....but he is not the right pg for tatum and brown.

Russell is a lesser version of irving.
Same weaknesses and lesser strengths.

And irving didnt work.

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2019, 11:41:32 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I don't know about replacing Horford with Holiday, but one thing's for sure, if the Celts are not contenders, might as well blow it up.

Staying a middle of the pack team is worse than being a lottery team.

Celts are better off with Brown, Tatum, Smart, and a bunch of rookies.

The championship window has closed for the Celts.

No AD and no Kyrie means the Celts are done.

Time to rebuild again.

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2019, 11:42:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I mean to be fair his "great locker room presence" didn't prevent our team chemistry from being a dumpster fire last year. And his skill set, tho impressive, is subject to probable decline entering his age 33 season. Not saying we should let him go like n the above scenario, but it makes some sense to move him for value if we can.
I would have no trouble trading Horford for value. I just think it's really bad business to dump him for nothing, while also not having the chance to possibly keep Morris, Rozier, Wanamaker and Theis. Much rather Horford opt in and then Danny uses his $30 million salary to attract something really great in a trade. And then, if Ainge wants to return any of our free agents, he can still retain them.

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2019, 11:44:49 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

That's not how this works. 

But yeah, if we let Rozier and Morris walk, Kyrie leaves and Horford leaves, we should have a shade under 30 mil in cap space.

Yes, I know about the cap holds.

But right now the Celts are not close to becoming a contender.

Horford is not a priority.

Ainge can package 3 picks for 1, to make more cap room.

Celts don't need Morris anymore.

D-Lo is a better option than Rozier.

It can be done.

Yes he is....but he is not the right pg for tatum and brown.

Russell is a lesser version of irving.
Same weaknesses and lesser strengths.

And irving didnt work.

The reason why Irving didn't work for the Celts is because Kyrie is not a good leader and it's looking like he has a bad attitude.

If D-Lo is as moody and has the same attitude as Kyrie then I agree it would not be a good idea to sign D-Lo.

But I don't think D-Lo is unlikable as Kyrie.

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2019, 11:45:18 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

I don't know about replacing Horford with Holiday, but one thing's for sure, if the Celts are not contenders, might as well blow it up.

Time to rebuild again.

pathetic post.  stop your whining.

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2019, 11:48:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I agree, I love Horford but if you are now building around the Jays you arent peaking for abut three years, at which point Horford is probably well into decline.

Doesn't mean keeping him won't add value.

He's a great locker room presence, and a great role model for the young guys to look up too. Besides, you'd never know in the NBA, maybe Karl-Anthony Towns becomes available for trade, and it would be nice if he's playing next to Al Horford than Robert Williams.

At the very least, keeping him means we could probably trade him for something of value.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2019, 11:50:15 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I would have no trouble trading Horford for value. I just think it's really bad business to dump him for nothing, while also not having the chance to possibly keep Morris, Rozier, Wanamaker and Theis. Much rather Horford opt in and then Danny uses his $30 million salary to attract something really great in a trade. And then, if Ainge wants to return any of our free agents, he can still retain them.

Horford opting in means the Celts won't be able to do anything significant this summer.

It's better if the Celts cut their losses and start the rebuild process right away.

Ainge's plan backfired.

Time to move on.

Besides, it's hard to move a 30m contract without getting a bad contract in return.

Rozier is an option, if the Celts truly believe he's a starting PG in the NBA.

But Theis, Wanamaker, and Morris are better off joining teams that have a shot at winning.

Right now the Celts, without Kyrie and AD, are irrelevant.

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2019, 11:51:50 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Time to rebuild again.

pathetic post.  stop your whining.

It's not whining, it's reality.

You can check the odds of teams winning the championship next season.

Celts are not even in the top 5.

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2019, 11:59:00 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Horford opting in means the Celts won't be able to do anything significant this summer.

It's better if the Celts cut their losses and start the rebuild process right away.

Ainge's plan backfired.

Time to move on.

Besides, it's hard to move a 30m contract without getting a bad contract in return.

Rozier is an option, if the Celts truly believe he's a starting PG in the NBA.

But Theis, Wanamaker, and Morris are better off joining teams that have a shot at winning.

Right now the Celts, without Kyrie and AD, are irrelevant.

Same team posted the best defense in the league 2 years ago and went to conference finals.

Irrelevant is an overreaction.

We get it. You have been all in on davis for a few years. But danny built a team that can go many different direction

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2019, 12:02:30 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If we use all the picks, imagine how good our summer league team will be lol