Author Topic: Our draft picks are now super important  (Read 10908 times)

Re: Our draft picks are now super important
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Ainge drafts a white guy, I am going to be p---ed.

No more Kelly Olynyks.

nice racist statement

classless

Just a fact.

Larry Bird was insulted if a white guy was assigned to guard him.

I guess Larry was a racist.
Is this really the hill you want to die on?

It's just a fact. Hayward is a perfect example.
It’s not a fact. Just because you say something is so doesn’t make t a fact. In fact, considering what you’re posting I’d say the opposite is true.

Hayward had 3 years of 20-5-4, but keep going please. Really doing you no favours.
Not picking a side here but Larry Bird like verbatim said this.

But back to topic, I don’t think the Cs have any interest in making all their picks this year. They will try to consolidate or trade for future picks.

It's not a good draft to consolidate (i.e., move up) because there is the draft after the top 3/4 is considered pretty flat through first round. And we don't have enough ammo to trade up that high.  I think we can get as good a player, with smart analysis, at 14 as we can at 8, for example.  We could try to flip picks to next year's draft, but they would likely have protections, which could kick the can and turn a 1st round pick into a 2nd round pick. 

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Now that we are out of the running for AD and Kyrie, what moves do we need to make to avoid the luxury tax?  That has to be a big consideration?  One reason to renegotiate Al's deal I guess.

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2019, 10:37:02 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Now that we are out of the running for AD and Kyrie, what moves do we need to make to avoid the luxury tax?  That has to be a big consideration?  One reason to renegotiate Al's deal I guess.

Renegotiate Al's deal so that Celts can go after D'Angelo Russell.

If Kyrie's 21m is off the payroll and Al's 30m is restructured or gone, Celts will be able to go after D-Lo.

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If Kyrie's 21m is off the payroll and Al's 30m is restructured or gone, Celts will be able to go after D-Lo.
They still will not be able to go after Russell. 

Still wouldn't have enough cap room.

It would have to be a double sign-and-trade with Kyrie/Russell... which only happens if we give up major assets to the Nets - like the Memphis 1st.

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2019, 10:45:33 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

It would have to be a double sign-and-trade with Kyrie/Russell... which only happens if we give up major assets to the Nets - like the Memphis 1st.

You keep saying this, but I think either ne of two things is true. A) The Nets just wouldn't do it because they don't wnat to help a division rival by giving them a young PG or B) It wouldn't cost the MEM pick. Thats absurd.

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2019, 10:46:20 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Why not?

Without the contracts of Kyrie and Horford, the Celts' payroll is only around 65m.
The salary cap is 109m for next season.

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2019, 10:47:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
If Ainge drafts a white guy, I am going to be p---ed.

No more Kelly Olynyks.

nice racist statement

classless

Just a fact.

Larry Bird was insulted if a white guy was assigned to guard him.

I guess Larry was a racist.
Is this really the hill you want to die on?

It's just a fact. Hayward is a perfect example.
It’s not a fact. Just because you say something is so doesn’t make t a fact. In fact, considering what you’re posting I’d say the opposite is true.

Hayward had 3 years of 20-5-4, but keep going please. Really doing you no favours.
Not picking a side here but Larry Bird like verbatim said this.

But back to topic, I don’t think the Cs have any interest in making all their picks this year. They will try to consolidate or trade for future picks.

It's not a good draft to consolidate (i.e., move up) because there is the draft after the top 3/4 is considered pretty flat through first round. And we don't have enough ammo to trade up that high.  I think we can get as good a player, with smart analysis, at 14 as we can at 8, for example.  We could try to flip picks to next year's draft, but they would likely have protections, which could kick the can and turn a 1st round pick into a 2nd round pick.

In theory sure, but it all deepens a lot on your front office evaluation. IF DA sees a guys at 8-10 (the range we could probably get to) that he thinks has big time ability he should trade up and get him.

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Kyrie 21.3m + Horford 30.1m = 51.3m.

Celts will have enough cap room for D-Lo if that 51.3m is off the payroll.

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2019, 10:53:55 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
For the price that russell will cost the team can go after brogdon instead.

If Horford would be willing to take a yearv1 salary of 15 million (backloaded 3 year 60 mill contract) and boston renounced all capholds team could offer brogdon somewhere around 22 million per season.

He would be the ideal pg.

Use all draft picks on depth, get a pg (naw at 14) use 20 and 22 on bigmen amd hope 1 works out to be a stud. Take a gamble. Use room mle on a backup bigman.

Brogdon/naw/
Brown/smart/
Tatum/hayward/
Horford/mle/yabu
Baynes/williams/draft

I would also consider dealing for a bigman that may fit the current mold mid season.

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2019, 10:55:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

If Horford would be willing to take a yearv1 salary of 15 million (backloaded 3 year 60 mill contract) and boston renounced all capholds team could offer brogdon somewhere around 22 million per season.

Use all draft picks on depth, get a pg (naw at 14) use 20 and 22 on bigmen amd hope 1 works out to be a stud. Take a gamble. Use room mle on a backup bigman.

Brogdon/naw/
Brown/smart/
Tatum/hayward/
Horford/mle/yabu
Baynes/williams/draft

I would also consider dealing for a bigman that may fit the current mold mid season.
Brogdon is an RFA so the Bucks can just wait for a couple days and then match our offer.

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Brogdon/naw/
Brown/smart/
Tatum/hayward/
Horford/mle/yabu
Baynes/williams/draft

Bucks will match any Brogdon offer.

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2019, 10:56:25 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Brogdon/naw/
Brown/smart/
Tatum/hayward/
Horford/mle/yabu
Baynes/williams/draft

The difference is Russell will be forced out of Brooklyn if Kyrie goes there.

Brogdon on the other hand has no reason to leave the Bucks.

Why would Brogdon leave the Bucks?

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Brogdon/naw/
Brown/smart/
Tatum/hayward/
Horford/mle/yabu
Baynes/williams/draft

Bucks will match any Brogdon offer.

True.

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2019, 10:57:11 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Brogdon/naw/
Brown/smart/
Tatum/hayward/
Horford/mle/yabu
Baynes/williams/draft

Brogdon is an RFA so the Bucks can just wait for a couple days and then match our offer.

Reports indicate they wont match anything north of 20 mill.

Lopez and middleton and soon to be Giannis are more important at this point in time to them

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2019, 10:58:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Why not?

Without the contracts of Kyrie and Horford, the Celts' payroll is only around 65m.
The salary cap is 109m for next season.

Actually the Celtics committed salary is closer to 72 (including Semi, eight players). Then you have cap holds for the three first round picks, which is around 8.5 million (because it 120% of the draft slot). Then you have cap holds for your free agents, including Rozier and Morris. So if you renounced both of them you could get somewhat close.