Author Topic: Basketball Tryout Advice.  (Read 19877 times)

Basketball Tryout Advice.
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Alright, so I'm a freshmen in highschool. We have tryouts for basketball tonight. My goal's to make JV and skip having to play on the freshmen team. Any advice?

Re: Basketball Tryout Advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Volunteer for everything, act like you never run out of energy, and never go less than 110% unless told explicitly to take it easy. Take directions literally, and when you screw up (and you WILL screw up), don't pout, don't freak out, just say "I'll get it next time coach" and move on. Warriors don't get tired and they don't ask for a breather. They compete with everything they got, then they do it again.

Wow that sounds cheesy. It's true though. That's what coaches want out of younger players, whether its basketball, football, whatever. They don't want your veteran savvy, they want the fresh legs that will do what they say and not ask why.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Looking back 15-16 years, my main advice would be to work your butt off. Skills are obviously important, but coaches want to see that a guy will hustle for everything. When you guys line up to run sprints, do your best to finish up front. When playing defense, get down and stay with your guy, box out, etc. Also, being a leader and communicating with teammates in scrimmages will show that you are mature. Don't try to take too much control, though.

Whatever you do, don't try to act cool and think that you are better than everybody. This includes popping a bunch of 3s. Maybe coaches have heard of you, but if you don't hustle and play hard, you are going nowhere near that JV squad.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
It's easy to say but just make good decisions with the basketball and be ACTIVE when you don't have the ball. If you don't have the ball you should be setting a screen or taking a screen and making a hard cut NOT standing on the perimeter waiting for the ball to get into your hands. Also, communication is key as it certainly shows a certain level of maturity. Always call the coach "coach" and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lastly, NEVER LET UP.

I made my High School's junior team by following the above and it seemed to work for me. I supposed it helped that I shot 90% from the field that day (seriously, I've never had a better shooting day than that tryout) but it was my effort and hustle which awarded me a spot on the roster.

Good luck tonight.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
I'm a coach who's run tryouts and unfortunately had to cut kids. Here's my list:

-Move without the ball (V-Cut, Flex Curl) Stay active without the ball. Never stand still. Good things ALWAYS happen. Think Rip Hamilton.

-Box out, box out, box out! The smaller you are the better. This is what 8 out of 10 kids won't do. I Can't say it enough BOX OUT

-Set screens off the ball. The guys on your team will appreciate it and the coaches will see you understand the game.

-If you're big, set ball screens and roll. If you're small, find a big and set up a pick and roll. It will benefit you both greatly.

-Finally, don't rush on offense. Play agressive but not too fast. If you're a player, you'll understand this.

Have fun and good luck!

"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
my girl made jv and today we find out she gonna be starting..yes!!...she about 5ft 8in..power forward..i hope..

she got handles and a set shot but...

she was always on time, and gave 100% during practice

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I'm a coach who's run tryouts and unfortunately had to cut kids. Here's my list:

-Move without the ball (V-Cut, Flex Curl) Stay active without the ball. Never stand still. Good things ALWAYS happen. Think Rip Hamilton.

-Box out, box out, box out! The smaller you are the better. This is what 8 out of 10 kids won't do. I Can't say it enough BOX OUT

-Set screens off the ball. The guys on your team will appreciate it and the coaches will see you understand the game.

-If you're big, set ball screens and roll. If you're small, find a big and set up a pick and roll. It will benefit you both greatly.

-Finally, don't rush on offense. Play agressive but not too fast. If you're a player, you'll understand this.

Have fun and good luck!

Good list.

I would add that if you're big, the further away you are from the paint, the closer you are to the bench.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 06:49:55 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Honestly, the best advice you can get in high school is to suck up the the coach. When I played in high school, there was a freshman who got bumped up to J.V, not because of his talent, but because his father new the coach. This kind of thing is more and more likely to happen when you play in a small town or city. Sad but true.

So with that being said, this is the best advice I can give you: Talk--all the time. Talk on defense and talk on offense. Suck up to the coach off the court--be his friend, in other words. Make it hard for him not to play you, off the court and on the court. Tell the coach what your goals are, and let him know you're serious about achieving them.

Back when I played in high school, there was so much favoritism it made not only me sick, but just about everyone. So become a favorite. In other words, do everything you can to become the coaches favorite. If you can do that, you will find yourself where you want to be.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Honestly, the best advice you can get in high school is to suck up the the coach. When I played in high school, there was a freshman who got bumped up to J.V, not because of his talent, but because his father new the coach. This kind of thing is more and more likely to happen when you play in a small town or city. Sad but true.

So with that being said, this is the best advice I can give you: Talk--all the time. Talk on defense and talk on offense. Suck up to the coach off the court--be his friend, in other words. Make it hard for him not to play you, off the court and on the court. Tell the coach what your goals are, and let him know you're serious about achieving them.

Back when I played in high school, there was so much favoritism it made not only me sick, but just about everyone. So become a favorite. In other words, do everything you can to become the coaches favorite. If you can do that, you will find yourself where you want to be.

great advice...brown nose...

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:24:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I agree, you have to get your dad to bat for you, or even better, your mom

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Run, Run, Run, and run some more...Never stop running. Run your butt off. And shuffle on defense. Move your feet very quick and thatll be a stand out...Oh did I mention run your butt off?

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free

All the other stuff is good advice if you were playing in a world where effort and talent were the one true criteria.  However THIS is what really matters.  When I played ball for my school I didn't make the team until I met the coaches and talked to them during the off season.  They have a pipeline of guys they like coming in from middle school.  The earlier you can get in on it the better.  I was cut in 7th grade despite being way more talented than many of the kids who made it and wised up and made good with the coaches and never got there after.  That got me to two years of Varsity.  Of course I had the skills to back it up, but without being a "favorite" that wouldnt have mattered.

I've seen it work both ways.  I've seen very talented kids get cut for not being a favorite and seen terrible kids make it for being a "favorite."  The key for you is be both.  Be a "favorite" and talented.  Does you no good to be a favorite that sits at the end of the bench.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Run, Run, Run, and run some more...Never stop running. Run your butt off. And shuffle on defense. Move your feet very quick and thatll be a stand out...Oh did I mention run your butt off?

Does no good unless you know the coaches.  Guarantee it.

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 08:20:22 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Hahahaha, sounds like we've got some bitter beavers in this thread....

Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
it's hussle and heart BUT you need skills too.

Why don't you want to play freshmen? honestly most younger guys, unless you are ridiculous, get much more playing time on Freshmen, then if it's obvious you're the superstar will get bumped up if they need help.  You could easily find yourself lost in a minutes shuffle on JV

but

if you want to make it - attitude is key.  Be unselfish but take (and make) open shots.  Be a great teammate - high fives, etc. But honestly mean it.  Don't miss a layup, don't miss a box out, when you make a mistake - it's my bad. Don't blow a defensive assignment.  If the coach asks where you play - it's wherever you want me to play, sir. Sir is key.  No screwing around, no half court shots, no 3's unless you can hit them. No trash talk, no swearing. No sucking up either though, that is so transparant.  If you deserve to make it, you will, but be happy to be on A team; hs ball is the best time of your life. Work hard, enjoy every win; take every loss like a gentleman.  And remember my team's motto - We not Me
When you love life, life loves you right back