Who Will Win The WNBA Championship?

San Antonio Silver Stars
1 (12.5%)
Detroit Shock
4 (50%)
Do women play ball?
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: WNBA '08 Finals  (Read 5372 times)

WNBA '08 Finals
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:03:09 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
It starts tomorrow.

Unfortunately my favourite WNBA team, the Sacramento Monarchs, lost in the 1st round of the playoffs, but after watching the last two games of the Sparks@Silver Stars series, I'm hoping for a great Finals.

Detroit will be without franchise player Cheryl Ford, but the combo of Deanna Nolan and Katie Smith, their fierce defense and the rebounding of veteran McWilliams-Franklin has been enough to deliver the pork so far. But can they contain the hyper-clutch dynamic duo of Becky Hammond and Sophia Young? Detroit will be in the finals for the 3rd straight year, but San Antonio also have an experienced supporting cast.

Regular season records:
San Antonio Silver Stars (24-10) vs. Detroit Shock (22-12)

http://www.wnba.com/playoffs2008/index.html

I'm predicting San Antonio in 5 as long as Darling and Lawson-Wade recover from their injuries.

Deanna Nolan

Becky Hammon
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:13:13 PM by cordobes »

Re: WNBA '08 Finals
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Another great basketball game. Shock won and now they have HCA. The Silver Stars were down by 18 at some point, had another of theirs typical and amazings 4th Q. comebacks, but failed to execute down the wire and eventually lost. McWilliams-Frank was instrumental for Detroit: 25 pts, 7 rbs, 11/16 FG. San Antonio shot 1-12 from beyond the line, that killed them. They are the better team, but need better execution from their guards.

Only one technical foul called...on... Bill Laimbeer! Same old, same old...

Tim Duncan and Manu were on the stands.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
There is absolutely no way that Detroit looses this.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:12:28 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Doesn't this belong in the Super off topic, off topic thread?

Just playin, actually watched a few minutes of that game...mildly exciting.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yeps, their defense is freaking impressive. I reckon I didn't see this coming, although I should. Katie Smith will probably be the Finals MVP, but the trade for McWilliams-Franklin delivered this championship to Detroit. Good move by Laimbeer. Has he done enough to deserve a shot at the NBA?

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"

Yeps, their defense is freaking impressive. I reckon I didn't see this coming, although I should. Katie Smith will probably be the Finals MVP, but the trade for McWilliams-Franklin delivered this championship to Detroit. Good move by Laimbeer. Has he done enough to deserve a shot at the NBA?

Yea, Smith will probably win MVP, but Franklin and Nolan would deserve it also, IMO. Either way, I predict this series is over come Sunday (then again, SA might sneak one in).

One thing surprised me though. If you had asked me who would be in the Finals this year a month ago, I would have surely said Detiot and LA. I did not see the Sparks not making it, and I didn't even watch the series in which they lost (I found out on SportsCenter), so I was surprised when I heard. They seemed like the perfect play-off team with Leslie, Milton-Jones, Parker, etc.

O, and to answer your question, no.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!