Poll

Would you  trade Jaylen Brown with a first for jimmy Butler if it keeps Kyrie with the Celtics?

Yes
3 (4.5%)
No
57 (85.1%)
Only if Jimmy  and Kyrie  signed long term with thr Celtics
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: If it meant keeping Kyrie, would you trade Jaylen Brown for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 18449 times)

Re: Jimmy Butler
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I get why people are thinking about what we’d do if Kyrie left, but I think we need to let the season play out. All outward signs are that this is a pretty harmonious group. If they get to the Finals, would Kyrie really leave? Is Butler that much more fun to play with?

Also, it might be for show, but it sure looks like Kyrie and Jaylen get along well.

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nope. If we didn’t trade Brown for Kawhi, we’re not trading him for Butler.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, this.

Brown is also a better three point shooter than Butler has ever been, and is 7 years younger. This move would be bad. Butler's offence doesn't fit with our team, and his locker-room issues give me pause
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Yeah, this.

Brown is also a better three point shooter than Butler has ever been, and is 7 years younger. This move would be bad. Butler's offence doesn't fit with our team, and his locker-room issues give me pause
J and J is our future. I pass on this J. AD is the only one worth J Brown. Tatum will pass AD on the O for sure.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, this.

J and J is our future. I pass on this J. AD is the only one worth J Brown. Tatum will pass AD on the O for sure.
If you mean offence, then I doubt it. Would be surprised if JT averages 29 over multiple seasons
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, this.

If you mean offence, then I doubt it. Would be surprised if JT averages 29 over multiple seasons
Agree 100%, especially since it appears Tatum will be on a team with multiple highly talented offensive players that can score. Just look at the Warriors the last 2 years. The best anyone could do was 26 PPG.

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
No. Right now Jaylen is cheap and honestly not too far behind Butler in terms of talent. Also, Jimmy Butler has a bad reputation when it comes to getting along with younger players. Jaylen, on the other hand, is beloved by his team mates and coaching staff.

Maybe it’s just young players that don’t play D?

Actually didn’t Butler work out with Brown last offseason?  I thought I remember seeing videos of that.

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2018, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yeah, this.

Agree 100%, especially since it appears Tatum will be on a team with multiple highly talented offensive players that can score. Just look at the Warriors the last 2 years. The best anyone could do was 26 PPG.

While I’m not going to say that Tatum will be better offensively than AD, I will say that it is perfectly possible for him to be a better offensive player and score less.  Is AD a better offensive player than Durant just because he scores more?

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yeah, this.

While I’m not going to say that Tatum will be better offensively than AD, I will say that it is perfectly possible for him to be a better offensive player and score less.  Is AD a better offensive player than Durant just because he scores more?
Dang. Should have highlighted the last sentence. I was agreeing on him not scoring 29 PPG. In some areas, Tatum is already ahead of AD offensively but that might have something to do with the positions they play and the positions they were taught to play since childhood.

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2018, 02:30:11 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The biggest problem with trading for Butler is figuring out how to pay for everyone next summer, where suddenly you'd potentially be looking at three max or near-max deals for Butler, Kyrie, and Horford on top of everyone else. The only way I could see a Butler trade getting done would be if he basically asked out of Minnesota, a package built around Smart/Morris/pick(s) got it done, AND Butler agreed to sign an extension of his current, old-cap max contract after the deal as the price of going to a contender (which would keep his salary commitments relatively affordable). I don't think there's any chance he agrees to give up that much money, so I can't see a trade happening.

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The biggest problem with trading for Butler is figuring out how to pay for everyone next summer, where suddenly you'd potentially be looking at three max or near-max deals for Butler, Kyrie, and Horford on top of everyone else. The only way I could see a Butler trade getting done would be if he basically asked out of Minnesota, a package built around Smart/Morris/pick(s) got it done, AND Butler agreed to sign an extension of his current, old-cap max contract after the deal as the price of going to a contender (which would keep his salary commitments relatively affordable). I don't think there's any chance he agrees to give up that much money, so I can't see a trade happening.
If Horford is opting out next year its to get another contract but at less per year which means he would actually be saving the Celtics money compared to what they would have paid him if he didn't opt out.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wow a big gap in votes..the ppl has spoken!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2018, 03:40:39 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
If Horford is opting out next year its to get another contract but at less per year which means he would actually be saving the Celtics money compared to what they would have paid him if he didn't opt out.

Maybe, but if he prioritizes getting paid there are teams who would give him a max or near-max deal. There are going to be too many big-market teams with too much cap space. Boston does have to plan for that possibility.

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I'd acquire Butler and wouldn't give it much thought.  He is a very good 2 way player in the same tier as Irving and Hayward in the league. 

It would probably mean that Horford would have to be traded next summer, but I'm ok with taking the championship shot this year.

And I would absolutely trade Brown in the trade if that is what it took.

So basically Butler for Brown, Morris, Yabu, and Nader (I think that is enough salary but if not add Semi).

Post-Trade - Main 2 deep rotation
PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Butler, Smart
SF - Hayward, Tatum
PF - Horford, Theis
C - Baynes, Williams 

That team if everyone is healthy and back to where they were would be a real threat to the Warriors and the very heavy and clear favorites in the East.  Even if the Sixers acquired Leonard (for basically Saric, Covington, and 1sts) that C's team would still be the favorites in the East.

I'm not mortgaging a potential Eastern Conference / NBA dynasty for 1 year of still-underdog contending status against Golden State.  That roster won't win it.

If Kyrie insists, then we can get a lottery pick + at least 1 good player or prospect for him. 

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford

Plus Smart, Williams and our Kyrie haul is a very good and still young core moving forward.

We'd also have 3 good-to-elite lottery picks (Sacto, Memphis, Kyrie lottery pick) to use or roll over to ideally go after a PG, a big and another wing.  Personally, I don't think Rozier is the answer at PG, and I'd like a PF/C to hedge against Robert Williams not turning into Capela.

EDIT - I would try to keep Kyrie here at nearly any cost- except trading JB or JT.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Brown and Tatum are untouchable