Author Topic: Elton Brand joins Philadelphia 76ers  (Read 12044 times)

Re: Elton Brand joins Philadelphia 76ers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:37:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Great move by the 76ers. Don't think it will help them win anymore games this year, but it'll help the young kids keep their heads straight and gain guidance on how to cope with a full NBA season.

I'll always stand by my claims on how important veteran presence is to young inexperienced teams.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Great move by the 76ers. Don't think it will help them win anymore games this year, but it'll help the young kids keep their heads straight and gain guidance on how to cope with a full NBA season.

I'll always stand by my claims on how important veteran presence is to young inexperienced teams.

But in the inside you're HOPING it helps them win more games right?

That said... we have their 2nd round pick, so all's good. Keep losing.

And we don't want them catching up to the Lakers.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
76ers bringing in guys with more than 3 years experience?  What gives?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
does he have anything left in the tank or is this just strictly for his leadership?

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:56:15 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
does he have anything left in the tank or is this just strictly for his leadership?
He is 36. I doubt that he has much left in the tank, which is why the move must be because of his leadership. Maybe someone that can make Jahlil behave ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
We all know what this is all about Elton Brand wants a farewell tour of his own. :P

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 01:44:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

It all depends on who the veteran presence is and if they are motivated to mentor younger teammates.  As Brand indicates in the article, he wasn't a good mentor before. 

The truth is, my decision to return to the NBA isn’t about money, and it isn’t about rings. It isn’t even about me, really, although every athlete would like to go out on his or her own terms. It’s about repaying what’s owed, about making sure that the young men who follow in my footsteps get what they’re entitled to (and what I haven’t always given them).

It’s not so much that I failed the guys I was tasked with mentoring over the years; it’s that I barely even tried. I never took the time to share the legendary Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s writing with them. I never sincerely answered their questions about what David West was trying to warn them about during NBPA meetings. I didn’t tell them why they should be reading Etan Thomas’ essays.

I was simply too busy following the NBA blueprint that had been engrained in me from the beginning: Play well, keep your head down, offend as few people as possible, and get paid. Now, here in Philadelphia, my adopted hometown, I’m excited to have a chance to do things differently — be a positive influence and help the organization get back on track.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Sixers are cutting Christian Wood to make room for Brand. 

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Where are all the people who said binkie Hinkie was still in complete control of the team?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I guess I should be eating even more crow.  I didn't think we'd see significant changes from Philly until this offseason when they were done tanking again... but I stand corrected.  Ish Smith and Elton Brand... the tank is over!

Lol ::)

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Where are all the people who said binkie Hinkie was still in complete control of the team?
Where are those people?...   Predicting this EXACT outcome a month before it happened:

Phase II of the rebuild probably would have started this offseason had Embiid been healthy and Saric came over.   It'll start this Summer.  Unless you consider signing Elton Brand and maybe a couple small-level trades to bring in a PG "the beginning of Phase II", this team will tank until the Summer and deal with it then (as they should... and as they have clearly been planning to do). 

Elton Brand = Elton Brand
Small level trade to bring in a PG = Two 2nd rounders for Ish Smith
Tank until offseason = Tank until the offseason

Mostly just placating the rabble-rousers.  I wouldn't be stunned to see Noel or Okafor moved before the deadline, but they aren't giving either away for free.

Wake me up when the sell Embiid or Saric to the highest bidder and trade away their unprotected 1st.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:26:26 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Where are those people?...   Predicting this EXACT outcome a month before it happened:

Phase II of the rebuild probably would have started this offseason had Embiid been healthy and Saric came over.   It'll start this Summer.  Unless you consider signing Elton Brand and maybe a couple small-level trades to bring in a PG "the beginning of Phase II", this team will tank until the Summer and deal with it then (as they should... and as they have clearly been planning to do). 

Mostly just placating the rabble-rousers.  I wouldn't be stunned to see Noel or Okafor moved before the deadline, but they aren't giving either away for free.

Wake me up when the sell Embiid or Saric to the highest bidder and trade away their unprotected 1st.

Or all these moves have come from Jerry Colangelo putting pressure.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 02:41:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

But in the inside you're HOPING it helps them win more games right?

That said... we have their 2nd round pick, so all's good. Keep losing.

And we don't want them catching up to the Lakers.

I'm hoping it helps them in SOME positive way. I mean god knows they need it.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Or all these moves have come from Jerry Colangelo putting pressure.

It sure as heck doesn't seem like a coincidence.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team