Author Topic: Kyrie Irving wants to leave Cleveland  (Read 14919 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving wants to leave Cleveland
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
At this point in their careers, would you guys rather have Kyrie or Wall? I'd take Wall personally. He's the superior playmaker, defender, athlete. The only area I would give Irving the advantage in is probably scoring and shooting.

I'd prefer Kyrie.  Wall really struggles with his efficiency, and he's two years older than Kyrie.

Both are really good talents, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
At this point in their careers, would you guys rather have Kyrie or Wall? I'd take Wall personally. He's the superior playmaker, defender, athlete. The only area I would give Irving the advantage in is probably scoring and shooting.

Wall. I think his attitude is better. And there just hasn't been enough development in Kyrie's game. Considering how naturally talented he is, it brings his work ethic into question.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 04:13:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still is the limit, he's only 21.

Potentially?  Sure.

Now he's in year three.  After his rookie year, his ceiling looked much higher than it looks now.  Do you think he's evolved to the point where you thought he'd be after Year One?  I certainly don't.

Certainly, there's plenty of time to turn it around, though. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I think Kyrie is a big reason why the Cavs can't win.  He takes so many shots, and is so inefficient.

I think he has a lot of talent, but he needs the right coach and even then, he might not "get it". 

There is no reason why he should take as many shots as he does.  IMHO, no player should take/avg more than 18 shots/gm. None!

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I think Kyrie is a big reason why the Cavs can't win.  He takes so many shots, and is so inefficient.

I think he has a lot of talent, but he needs the right coach and even then, he might not "get it". 

There is no reason why he should take as many shots as he does. IMHO, no player should take/avg more than 18 shots/gm. None!

Why not? When you have a guy that can score like Durant, Melo, Irving, etc. why not take advantage of that? I don't understand this logic.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Id rather Irving over Wall, I think Wall's gonna end up a casualty like Derrick Rose. He's just so reliant on that first step and his athleticism, and it's not smooth athleticism, it's violent. Don't see him lasting. Irving is more skilled.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING

There is no reason why he should take as many shots as he does.  IMHO, no player should take/avg more than 18 shots/gm. None!
Michael Jordan averaged 23 shots a game. KD averages 19. I think they made out okay.

Also, a (young)career 20 per game scorer doing it with 45% shooting and 39% from three is not "so inefficient".
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Wall is the more talented prospect (more tools to work with, higher upside) but I am be more worried about Wall not fulfilling his potential than I am with Kyrie.

I think Kyrie's issues are only temporary and will be fixed in time.

I am less confident about Wall. Wall still struggles to score effectively, space the floor adequately, run his team properly (despite displaying some really nice vision in some of his passes). Wall is doing a good job as a defender + possession creator but he really needs to start putting things together offensively. He is holding his team back.

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Wall is the more talented prospect (more tools to work with, higher upside) but I am be more worried about Wall not fulfilling his potential than I am with Kyrie.

I think Kyrie's issues are only temporary and will be fixed in time. I am less confident about Wall.
Yeah I don't know if Wall will ever become a better shooter or have better shot selection.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have heard Kyrie Irving called a lot of things(ball hog, selfish, immature, superstar, All-Star) some justifiably so but inefficient?

Except for a shooting slump to start the year he's basically a 56% TS% player that shoots +38% from three and +85% from the FT line.

That's far from inefficient

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 04:59:29 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
The biggest difference to me is that Wall makes his teammates better, Irving does not. To Kyrie's defense, Mike Brown forces him to improvise too much on offense. Wall is also steadily improving his shooting. He can't score from every spot like Irving, but he's worked on becoming a better shooter on the PnR a la Parker.

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
  Rookie Kyrie >> current Kyrie.

Not really. Current Kyrie is a better passer and defender. He was in a shooting slump at the beginning of the year, but he has brought his efficiency back up lately.

Agreed. Panning the current Kyrie is a little bit like fussing about the mole on Cindy Crawford's face.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
A year ago I would have agreed to a Rondo-Kyrie swap in a heart beat.  But in the last year, I've seen a regression in not only Kyrie's play, but also his maturity.  I'm becoming more and more convinced that Kyrie is not a player I want to give a max contract to on my team.  I envision him going to NYK eventually.

Could not disagree with the above more vehemently.

Irving's shooting is bouncing back, and he's grown other facets of his game. He's younger and healthier than Rondo - and significant doubts remain in my mind on exactly what we've got with this version of Rondo. The early returns are not at all encouraging.

I'd deal Rondo for Irving tomorrow.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd trade for Iving tomorrow, too.

But mostly because I feel bad for the dude. I've been to Cleveland, and I have no desire to go back.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Kyrie Irving is major overrated and definitely is not looking like a franchise player, but I don't blame him for wanting to leave Cleveland. Terrible franchise