Author Topic: ChrisAndersen available for one year vet minimum; Do we want him?  (Read 18450 times)

Re: ChrisAndersen available for one year vet minimum; Do we want him?
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
another SG? despite having Bradley, Terry and Lee who are all starter-level talent and can play big productive minutes? Not to mention we can sign Christmas as another SG (although he won't get minutes) who has played in european leagues. By your logic, we might as well get another PG because we only have Rondo and Dooling. Get Smush Parker in there.
Terry is not playing SG. And if he is, he isn't playing PG -- either way, my point still stands, namely that the 7th(!) big man is redundant. Oh, and Smush Parker is just... bad. I'd rather have Christmas.

Anyway, Jamar Smith is not making the roster, he's a camp body. Christmas is a long shot, and if he does indeed stay for the season, then we have 15 players on the contract. So in this case they will have to waive Joseph to sign the big man you suggest, which will expose the SF position even more than it is already.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
another SG? despite having Bradley, Terry and Lee who are all starter-level talent and can play big productive minutes? Not to mention we can sign Christmas as another SG (although he won't get minutes) who has played in european leagues. By your logic, we might as well get another PG because we only have Rondo and Dooling. Get Smush Parker in there.
Terry is not playing SG. And if he is, he isn't playing PG -- either way, my point still stands, namely that the 7th(!) big man is redundant. Oh, and Smush Parker is just... bad. I'd rather have Christmas.

Anyway, Jamar Smith is not making the roster, he's a camp body. Christmas is a long shot, and if he does indeed stay for the season, then we have 15 players on the contract. So in this case they will have to waive Joseph to sign the big man you suggest, which will expose the SF position even more than it is already.

Stop treating it like it's 5 starters on the floor then 5 bench guys coming in. Terry will log significant minutes at both guard positions. But he's primarily an SG in a PG body.

At the start of the season, you'd most likely see a lineup of Rondo-Lee-Pierce-Bass-KG.

First, lets focus on the guard positions only.

PG - 48 minutes
SG - 48 minutes
TOTAL - 96 minutes

PG - Rondo averages around 36-37 mpg.

That leaves us with 11-12 minutes for PG and a full 48 at SG (total: 59-60mpg)

PG/SG - Terry averaged around 31-32mpg off the bench for Dallas

That leaves us with a total of 29-30mpg

We still have two rotation players left: Courtney Lee averaged 31 mpg for Houston last year. The year before that he played 20mpg. I don't know what he'll average this year for us but history indicates that he is flexible enough to play 20-30mpg. On top of this, there's still Dooling who averaged 15mpg for us last year. Plus, there were times that Dooling was on the court with Rondo. Nonetheless, what I'm getting at is that Courtney Lee and Dooling can split the remaining 30 minutes of the guard position, with Lee taking the lion's share (20-10? 25-5? who knows?).

As you can see, the 96 minutes have been allocated and I haven't even taken into account Avery Bradley yet who will return in December. And because of his talent level, he will definitely require big minutes as well. Perhaps starter minutes.

Meanwhile, at the big position...

you have 96 minutes to allocate as well.

KG averaged around 30mpg and that will more or less hold.
Bass averaged around 30-33mpg when he started and that will more or less hold as well.

So that's 60-63mpg gone and 33-36 more to allocate. Who will play 30mpg?

Wilcox has averaged 17mpg the last 2 years, and 13mpg the years before that. So unless you're comfortable with giving Jason Collins or Fab Melo or Sullinger a regular dose of around 16-19 minutes per game, then signing Andersen for the vet min would be a good move

What is the point to all i've said? Point is, though we have a lot of big men, we don't really have much quality big men. I think rebounding is still a glaring weakness we have, and so is big man depth. Birdman helps address that. Wilcox aside, Sullinger is promising and will definitely have his moments but it's so risky to depend on a rookie for 82 games + playoffs. Melo likely won't play this year. And Collins is just bad. Birdman is an upgrade from all these other choices.

Unlike with the guard position where we have Rondo/Lee/Bradley/Terry where each one of them can be starters in another team (not to mention a decent-enough backup guard in Dooling). In any given night, any of those 4 can play starter minutes for us. it's a completely different situation from our big man situation
- LilRip

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So that's 60-63mpg gone and 33-36 more to allocate. Who will play 30mpg?

Wilcox has averaged 17mpg the last 2 years, and 13mpg the years before that. So unless you're comfortable with giving Jason Collins or Fab Melo or Sullinger a regular dose of around 16-19 minutes per game, then signing Andersen for the vet min would be a good move
No, actually it isn't. I fully expect Sullinger to play extended minutes. As a matter of fact, between Wilcox and Sullinger we can likely eat more minutes that we have available behind Bass and Garnett. And then if push comes to shove, we can lean on Collins and Melo.

For someone who wrote a pile, you're overlooking two very simple facts: one, Dooling is not going to play 15 mpg for us this season, because he's simply not that good (and if he does, we're in trouble); two, as we have established, if someone can't go in the big man department, we have two bodies to lean on. If someone goes down at guard, we do what, play Dooling 30 minutes a game? Nah.

I am all for having depth. Except we need depth at the guard position, not with the bigs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
No, actually it isn't. I fully expect Sullinger to play extended minutes. As a matter of fact, between Wilcox and Sullinger we can likely eat more minutes that we have available behind Bass and Garnett. And then if push comes to shove, we can lean on Collins and Melo.

For someone who wrote a pile, you're overlooking two very simple facts: one, Dooling is not going to play 15 mpg for us this season, because he's simply not that good (and if he does, we're in trouble); two, as we have established, if someone can't go in the big man department, we have two bodies to lean on. If someone goes down at guard, we do what, play Dooling 30 minutes a game? Nah.

i bolded the statement where we differ. I like Sully. He will show us something. But I don't expect him to contribute regularly.

and Dooling did play 15mpg for us last season. And besides, didn't i just say that Courtney would take the lion's share of minutes, probably playing around 25-30 mpg with Dooling playing around 5mpg?

And furthermore, if you have a problem with Dooling playing 15mpg given how "bad" he is, then having to depend on guys like Collins or Melo should give you nightmares.

It's not like whatever 2-guard we can still pick up (for the vet min) will be a game-changer. Who would it be? Delfino is likely out of our price range. And even if he somehow ends up on our lap, then we might as well cut Christmas AND Joseph to make roster space then sign Birdman and Delfino.
- LilRip