Author Topic: ChrisAndersen available for one year vet minimum; Do we want him?  (Read 18451 times)

Re: ChrisAndersen available for one year vet minimum; Do we want him?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I do like birdman's game, but probably Danny isn't sure he would be the perfect guy to put in a team full of young guys. Question to Roy though, he has good D numbers, but how is his D against big post players like Kaman, Bynum, Bogut and DH? I havent really seen him matched up against them so have no way of knowing.

That's what Jason Collins is for. That is why Danny should sign both of them.

They provide different skill-sets as defenders and as overall players. Both are valuable.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:59:55 PM by Who »

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
If we hadn't signed Chris Wilcox, I would be all in for Birdman. Having both would be kinda redundant. Both bring athleticism, energy, and rebounding. What Andersen brings that Wilcox doesn't is shot blocking and is more solid on defensive rotations.

Collins brings something that neither Wilcox or Birdman bring: Post interior defense. He has the mass to cover Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, and Marc Gasol. That's where he fits in. That, and Collins is a better fit for a utility man because that literally is the only thing he brings.

I think the better question is, Should we have signed Chris Andersen instead of Chris Wilcox?

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I think he is better than collins honestly. But we have a big man rotation of

Bass/Sully/Green/Wilcox
KG/Wilcox/Melo or Collins

So yeah i like where we are at

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Please ignore -- sorry, I pressed wrong button. Meant modify instead of quote to change my previous post.

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
If we bring in Andersen, here's our depth chart:

Guards: Rondo, Bradley, Terry, Lee, Dooling
Wings: Pierce, Green, Joseph
Bigs: Garnett, Wilcox, Bass, Sullinger, Melo, Collins, Andersen

Seems a little big-heavy to me. What do you guys think?

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd LOVE Chris Anderson in Green.

For the vet min?? Of course.

He's an energy guy, and I'm sure he can still block some shots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl8QbCjm2LQ

And of course this is yet another weapon for our great PG, too. More lob options.

This clip is just a few months old, too.

OH MY...what are we waiting for...

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
i think we're ok with the bigs but wouldnt mind signing Birdman

ps. is terrence williams still available? i really like him and think he is a good player....maybe offer him the vet min ? would he take it ?

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I think that is the type of big man rotation they need to carry when one of those guys is a raw rookie like Fab Melo. You need to go deeper than normal to ensure proper quality depth.

That is also the reason why I would like to see Kris Joseph waived and replaced with a veteran wing who can be a dependable contributor. They are short on numbers there and need reliable options there (because they have one less roster spot available to them)... and Kris Joseph isn't that player. He needs to go. And someone else needs to be brought in to fill that void. 

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

I think that is the type of big man rotation they need to carry when one of those guys is a raw rookie like Fab Melo. You need to go deeper than normal to ensure proper quality depth.

That is also the reason why I would like to see Kris Joseph waived and replaced with a veteran wing who can be a dependable contributor. They are short on numbers there and need reliable options there (because they have one less roster spot available to them)... and Kris Joseph isn't that player. He needs to go. And someone else needs to be brought in to fill that void.

Lee can arguably play some minutes at the wing.

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 11:23:06 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'll answer the OP with a quote from the great Napoleon Dynamite: Heck yes.

I think the better question is, Should we have signed Chris Andersen instead of Chris Wilcox?

No. Wilcox fits this team so well.

No, not too big-heavy. One of the biggest, most consistent personnel problems during the KG era has been the team's dearth of bigs--even when we thought we had enough, or more than enough, injuries happened: KG, Perk, Shaq, JO.

You've gotta figure that Melo won't play much, or make much of an impact when he does play, as a rookie, and Collins is more of a situational guy, sort of like a lefty reliever in baseball--he'll play mostly against the few legit huge bodies in the league. That leaves a regular rotation of KG, Bass, Wilcox, and Sully (who, despite our high hopes for him, is still only a rookie). Having another guy who's a veteran and who could be a regular if someone else went down with an injury--not to mention having great energy and rebounding chops--would be awesome.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
in a heartbeat, excellent rebounder and help defender. He has his court issues, but this is basketball we're talking about. We're hiring for his skill set. You don't have to like him, but he brings a lot to the table. He can take a lot of minutes off of Garnett in the center spot along with Wilcox

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Doubt it. He is 34 and sucks. He will be lucky to get the vet. min. from anyone.

He doesn't suck.  He's injury prone, and will probably miss 40 games next year, but when he's on the court he's an extremely good rebounder and a good defender, and he provides decent offense.

The question marks are the health and his legal issues, to whatever extent those may be ongoing.

Not worth the BAE. A vet. min. contract is ok. But pocket the BAE for when guys get bought out. Something better will likely come up.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Besides...from what I've read about his legal issues, I'm assuming he's innocent.

Once that clears up (hopefully), I'd hope Danny grabs him.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

No, Wilcox gives Doc a legitimate running big to streak up the floor alongside Rondo. Chris really showed his worth right before his incident, I think he'll pick up right where he left off.

It's three years late for Andersen.

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »

Offline Kuberski1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
On what I would guess would be a 14 man roster after camp finishes, the current 6 bigs will be more than enough.  I think the signing of Collins all but eliminated the chance that we'd go after Anderson.  I think Ainge and co must have decided that for whatever reasons, Collins was the better choice....perhaps for defense, consistency, lack of distractions, etc.

Rotation at the 4/5: KG, Bass start, with Wilcox and Sully in relief, mix in Collins when needed.  Fab goes to D League.  An occasional Green at the 4.  While it does sound smallish, I don't see how we take one more roster spot at the 4/5 with Anderson at this point.  With the BAE in our pockets, see who becomes available at the 4, particularly 5 later in the year via buy-out.

I think we add one more guy, someone who can play the 3...I guess it would be Joseph's spot to lose.