Author Topic: Shawn Marion might sign for vet min  (Read 14612 times)

Re: Shawn Marion might sign for vet min
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2009, 07:06:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The cities past racial issues have nothing to do with ne thing... the team is all black except for Scal and Doc is black... also wouldn't a player who has a chance to win a championship want to go to Boston because out of all those teams we have the best basketball culture and if it is at the cost of a championship I don't think bad weather would be a big deal to a player signing in Boston.

If you are choosing between 2-3 contenders, all of whom can get you a ring, and the money is similar, you go to the warm weather place with less taxes. It's got nothing to do with race though, that's BS

I think it's BS, you think its BS, but several athletes have told people in the past that boston's racial history has influenced thier decision, so to them it's not BS.

If you want to pretend that doesn't or didn't happen, fine, but it does.

well in the past, yes, it was a big problem, especially back in the Bill Russell era, but it hasn't been a factor for at least 15-20 years, it's long over.

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
the race issue in boston has improved alot.....however, there is still a stigma with *SOME players.  most dont know about the improvements and are basing their stance on history and reputation.

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 08:00:25 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't understand why free-agents don't like Boston?  Also I would try to see if they could sign Marion for not all the 5 million so we could sign one or two other players but I doubt that Marion will take less than 5 million even though hoopshype says that he said he'd take the veterans minimum

because basketball is played in the winter, and boston is horrable in the winter.

Alot of contending cities are in warm weather climates.

add into that boston's racial history, and you have a city with awful weather that makes athletes uncomfortable (fairly or not, i happen to think unfraily).

but when the offers match or are close dollar wise, FA's pick the warm weather cities.

Hell, even Garnett didn't want to come here a couple years ago because it would've been no upgrade over the weather of Minnesota. So, his first choice was Phoenix, who thought about swapping Amare, then backed out.

When it's all said and done, Ainge will regret not having bought a pick or making a deal on draft night, we will sign Anthony Parker as our backup sg and a stiff like Pachulia for center, and be crying in our beers when we immediately have to bring our starters back in because the second unit is getting their asses handed to them.

Pachulia actually would be a very good pick up. Anthony Carter I'm not so high on.

We'd need a scoring wing if Zaza is the big man pickup because he's not a guy that's gonna put up a lot of points.

Boston wasn't Garnetts first choice because we didn't have enough good players here for us to be a contender even if he got traded here... until we traded for Ray Allen... Garnett only was thinking of Phoenix first because they had better players until we traded for Ray.

Lets not re-write history. While that was certainly the major factor, those infamous "sources close to the player" (I.E the player himself not wanting to be named) told ESPN that Kevin wasn't open to a move to another cold weather team if it wasn't a significant upgrade to his championship hopes.

Weather was mentioned. Of course, once we got ray, talent outweighed the climate, but it WAS a concern of his that initially held up the deal.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion