Author Topic: Shawn Marion might sign for vet min  (Read 14609 times)

Re: Shawn Marion might sign for vet min
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 02:33:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't understand why free-agents don't like Boston?  Also I would try to see if they could sign Marion for not all the 5 million so we could sign one or two other players but I doubt that Marion will take less than 5 million even though hoopshype says that he said he'd take the veterans minimum

because basketball is played in the winter, and boston is horrable in the winter.

Alot of contending cities are in warm weather climates.

add into that boston's racial history, and you have a city with awful weather that makes athletes uncomfortable (fairly or not, i happen to think unfraily).

but when the offers match or are close dollar wise, FA's pick the warm weather cities.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
The cities past racial issues have nothing to do with ne thing... the team is all black except for Scal and Doc is black... also wouldn't a player who has a chance to win a championship want to go to Boston because out of all those teams we have the best basketball culture and if it is at the cost of a championship I don't think bad weather would be a big deal to a player signing in Boston.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The cities past racial issues have nothing to do with ne thing... the team is all black except for Scal and Doc is black... also wouldn't a player who has a chance to win a championship want to go to Boston because out of all those teams we have the best basketball culture and if it is at the cost of a championship I don't think bad weather would be a big deal to a player signing in Boston.

If you are choosing between 2-3 contenders, all of whom can get you a ring, and the money is similar, you go to the warm weather place with less taxes. It's got nothing to do with race though, that's BS

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 03:14:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

If you are choosing between 2-3 contenders, all of whom can get you a ring, and the money is similar, you go to the warm weather place with less taxes. It's got nothing to do with race though, that's BS

I think it's BS, you think its BS, but several athletes have told people in the past that boston's racial history has influenced thier decision, so to them it's not BS.

If you want to pretend that doesn't or didn't happen, fine, but it does.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

dozen's of FA's disagree.

If you want a specific recent example, see matt barnes, who went on recored telling reporters it would take "signficantly more money" to gethim to play in a cold weather city (he went to PHX for a discount)

It's not a huge deal for players makng the max, they will go to whoever pays them.

but if your a bench player and you get almost the same offer from orlando and boston, your probley going to move your family to orlando.

I know its hard to wrap our head around as fans, but alot more than just "wow, boston has a fantastic culture and fans!" plays into FA' decisions.

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Fantastic team culture... I didn't say anything about fans...

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Even though we do have the best fans! lol

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 03:36:30 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
and by culture i don't mean what we did in the past but i mean how the players on our team are so professional and how everyone on our team makes each other better.

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I wouldn't bet on it.  Free Agents do not like Boston.

Free agents happend to like money in 95% of occasions and the players who pick money don´t care about weather. Others are looking at career-wise move and Celtics are for the next year probably their best bet.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I don't understand why free-agents don't like Boston?  Also I would try to see if they could sign Marion for not all the 5 million so we could sign one or two other players but I doubt that Marion will take less than 5 million even though hoopshype says that he said he'd take the veterans minimum

because basketball is played in the winter, and boston is horrable in the winter.

add into that boston's racial history, and you have a city with awful weather that makes athletes uncomfortable (fairly or not, i happen to think unfraily).

but when the offers match or are close dollar wise, FA's pick the warm weather cities.

Hell, even Garnett didn't want to come here a couple years ago because it would've been no upgrade over the weather of Minnesota. So, his first choice was Phoenix, who thought about swapping Amare, then backed out.

When it's all said and done, Ainge will regret not having bought a pick or making a deal on draft night, we will sign Anthony Parker as our backup sg and a stiff like Pachulia for center, and be crying in our beers when we immediately have to bring our starters back in because the second unit is getting their asses handed to them.

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

When it's all said and done, Ainge will regret not having bought a pick or making a deal on draft night, we will sign Anthony Parker as our backup sg and a stiff like Pachulia for center, and be crying in our beers when we immediately have to bring our starters back in because the second unit is getting their asses handed to them.

We could do MUCH worse than having Zaza and Anthony Parker come off the bench.

Like, uhm...Marbury and Moore.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

In fairness, I believe Ainge said early on in his tenure with Boston that the way to build a winner is through the draft and trades, not Free Agency.

Also, nothing is preventing the team from making trades between now and November.  It wasn't as if draft night was the only window.  FA period could create many opptys for trades.  
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Hell, even Garnett didn't want to come here a couple years ago because it would've been no upgrade over the weather of Minnesota. So, his first choice was Phoenix, who thought about swapping Amare, then backed out.

Pachulia actually would be a very good pick up. Anthony Carter I'm not so high on.

We'd need a scoring wing if Zaza is the big man pickup because he's not a guy that's gonna put up a lot of points.

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Pachulia actually would be a very good pick up. Anthony Carter I'm not so high on.

We'd need a scoring wing if Zaza is the big man pickup because he's not a guy that's gonna put up a lot of points.

Boston wasn't Garnetts first choice because we didn't have enough good players here for us to be a contender even if he got traded here... until we traded for Ray Allen... Garnett only was thinking of Phoenix first because they had better players until we traded for Ray.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:16:32 PM by Mike-Dub »

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Pigs may also fly if scientists make advances in genetic engineering...but probably not...