Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 121760 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This may have been answered already here but I am curious about the tax issues.  Assuming the entire team came back, what is the number (in terms of dollars) that we can also have Smart on the team and avoid whatever tax situation we would prefer to avoid this year?  And is the number is not exact, what is the ballpark number?

Thanks.

There’s no exact number yet, because the tax line is not official.  The estimate going around is $123 million, but it could easily deviate +/- $1 million from that, which would obviously have an impact.  Another factor to consider is whether or not the Celtics would be willing to leave an open roster spot to avoid the tax.  They probably would, but given all the injuries they had last year, they might be a bit leery of that idea.

But let’s assume the following:

1) No trades are made
2) The luxury tax is $123 million on the nose
3) The salary cap is $101 million on the nose (this helps calculate the salary of our draft pick, because the slot value now increases proportionally with the cap)
4) We go with a 14-man roster
5) We sign Jabari Bird to an NBA deal at the rookie minimum in year 1
6) We let all free agents walk, and keep all the non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed guys (Theis, Nader, Ojeleye).

This would leave the Celtics with $12,928,129 of space before they hit the luxury tax.  With that, they could sign him to a 4-year deal that pays up to $57,918,286, or a 5-year deal that pays up to $74,983,495 and stay under the tax this season.

People can adjust the number accordingly as they see fit based on the above assumptions.  I think it will be a little lower, myself, as I think the luxury tax comes in closer to $122 million than $123 million.  But I think the above is a perfectly reasonable starting point for a maximum amount they could offer Smart while avoiding the tax.
I'm glad saltlover is back! No longer clueless about the cap sometimes ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This may have been answered already here but I am curious about the tax issues.  Assuming the entire team came back, what is the number (in terms of dollars) that we can also have Smart on the team and avoid whatever tax situation we would prefer to avoid this year?  And is the number is not exact, what is the ballpark number?

Thanks.

There’s no exact number yet, because the tax line is not official.  The estimate going around is $123 million, but it could easily deviate +/- $1 million from that, which would obviously have an impact.  Another factor to consider is whether or not the Celtics would be willing to leave an open roster spot to avoid the tax.  They probably would, but given all the injuries they had last year, they might be a bit leery of that idea.

1) No trades are made
3) The salary cap is $101 million on the nose (this helps calculate the salary of our draft pick, because the slot value now increases proportionally with the cap)
6) We let all free agents walk, and keep all the non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed guys (Theis, Nader, Ojeleye).

This would leave the Celtics with $12,928,129 of space before they hit the luxury tax.  With that, they could sign him to a 4-year deal that pays up to $57,918,286, or a 5-year deal that pays up to $74,983,495 and stay under the tax this season.

People can adjust the number accordingly as they see fit based on the above assumptions.  I think it will be a little lower, myself, as I think the luxury tax comes in closer to $122 million than $123 million.  But I think the above is a perfectly reasonable starting point for a maximum amount they could offer Smart while avoiding the tax.

Man that is some good stuff. Can we replace Nader with a rack of balls? The +/- for bringing a ball rack into the game would be better IMO. ;D

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Has there ever been a player this bad at offense but his defense and toughness is so good he can pass as a good bench player ?
Our old friend Tony Allen.
My main problem with this is that TA was really good at picking his spots with us. Around 48% from the field with very little 3’s attempted.

Marcus on the other hand has never averaged less than 4 3PA’s a game, while amazingly never shooting as well as he did in his rookie year (nailing a gruesome .301% this year).
If Marcus was efficient and knew his spots like TA I’d like him so much more

I think Tony Allen is a good comparison and honestly I was so glad to see him go. He was a total train wreck, I can still see him dribbling the ball off his foot to this day!

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

I know you wanted to assume the entire team came back, but I really think we need to assume Baynes is gone.  I don’t see the Celtics wanting to go more than a season with him, and going one season means he can veto any mid-season trade, which is a situation the Ainge likes to avoid when possible.  If Smart’s situation gets resolved quickly, it’s possible they could bring Baynes back, but Marcus I’m sure is the top free agent priority, and as a restricted free agent, his situation could take a month or more to resolve, by which time Baynes will have been off the market for some time.

When you put it like that it's quite obvious that the Celtics' aren't resigning Smart for any amount of money... In no universe can a contender afford to pay Smart 10 million a year... Let alone 15 million to shoot below 30% from three on high volume...

Even 6-8 mill a year for "Energy" players is a lot... 

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

I know you wanted to assume the entire team came back, but I really think we need to assume Baynes is gone.  I don’t see the Celtics wanting to go more than a season with him, and going one season means he can veto any mid-season trade, which is a situation the Ainge likes to avoid when possible.  If Smart’s situation gets resolved quickly, it’s possible they could bring Baynes back, but Marcus I’m sure is the top free agent priority, and as a restricted free agent, his situation could take a month or more to resolve, by which time Baynes will have been off the market for some time.

When you put it like that it's quite obvious that the Celtics' aren't resigning Smart for any amount of money... In no universe can a contender afford to pay Smart 10 million a year... Let alone 15 million to shoot below 30% from three on high volume...

well, igoadala makes 11million and I would say he plays a similar role to smart.  we really need to keep one of smart/rozier to keep Kyries minutes down in the regular season and to spell the bench.

I think the hardest question is, do you pay someone like smart 15million who is going to most likely be on the bench in crunch time this year. And if hes not on the bench how can you sit someone like Kyrie/brown/tatum/hayward/Horford for smart?

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

well, igoadala makes 11million and I would say he plays a similar role to smart.  we really need to keep one of smart/rozier to keep Kyries minutes down in the regular season and to spell the bench.

I think the hardest question is, do you pay someone like smart 15million who is going to most likely be on the bench in crunch time this year. And if hes not on the bench how can you sit someone like Kyrie/brown/tatum/hayward/Horford for smart?

I look at Roberson making 3/30M and think the C's should offer Smart maybe 4 years, 44M.

Give him the QO obviously, but say you're willing to do 10-12M/Year.

Maybe also structure the deal so that it pays something like 9-10M the first year (so we avoid the tax just next year before we all but start paying it in the 2019-2020 season). It's like Roberson who made 9M the 1st year, and projects to make like 11M the 3rd year of the deal. Something like that.

My biggest concern is a team like Indiana clears the cap necessary and offers Smart something like 16-18M/Year, in which case he's gone for good. Then we got to re-sign Baynes and look for another depth guard (maybe draft or trade).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

Saltlover back after Cs elimination from playoffs, Danny is that you?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

Some may say it's a coincidence. I think not ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

Iguadola's contract is 14.8M, 16M, 17.1M.  Durant signed for 25M so they could keep Iggy.  Smart and Iggy may play a similar role but Iggy is a lot harder for GSW to replace.  Iggy was in high demand.  Houston wanted him.  Per Redick, he was given 20 minutes to decide on the 1yr/23M deal or the Sixers would offer it to Iggy.  I don't expect there to be that much interest in Smart.  I wouldn't go much more than 3yr/30M for Smart. 

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

Good thought.  Saltlover certainly has more GM acumen than most everyone on here.  However a quick search didn't show any posts defending taking Olynyk over Giannis or any posts expounding on the virtues of Chipotle.   

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

Good thought.  Saltlover certainly has more GM acumen than most everyone on here.  However a quick search didn't show any posts defending taking Olynyk over Giannis or any posts expounding on the virtues of Chipotle.   

I sold my stock in Chipotle a couple months ago.  Before then I didn’t feel it appropriate to extol its virtues in public without a disclaimer.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

I sold my stock in Chipotle a couple months ago.  Before then I didn’t feel it appropriate to extol its virtues in public without a disclaimer.

how bad of a record will the kings have next year  :P

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

sigh. and here i had thought it was simply a matter of good taste.  ;)

p.s. good to see you back. hope you are well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

sigh. and here i had thought it was simply a matter of good taste.  ;)

p.s. good to see you back. hope you are well.

Ditto, nice to see Saltlover the resident captologist back. :)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Thanks.

1) No trades are made

I look at Roberson making 3/30M and think the C's should offer Smart maybe 4 years, 44M.

Give him the QO obviously, but say you're willing to do 10-12M/Year.

Maybe also structure the deal so that it pays something like 9-10M the first year (so we avoid the tax just next year before we all but start paying it in the 2019-2020 season). It's like Roberson who made 9M the 1st year, and projects to make like 11M the 3rd year of the deal. Something like that.

My biggest concern is a team like Indiana clears the cap necessary and offers Smart something like 16-18M/Year, in which case he's gone for good. Then we got to re-sign Baynes and look for another depth guard (maybe draft or trade).

I can see danny doing 4 years  for 44 ....that maybe the max tho