Author Topic: The reality of game 6 and why we should win game 7  (Read 9877 times)

Re: The reality of game 6 and why we should win game 7
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I forgot something. We have Doc. Game to game adjustments are important in the playoffs.

Although I suspect it's not Doc vs. Spoelstra but Doc vs. Pat Riley. Pat Riley is probably coaching through Spoelstra.

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
In 2010, game 5 of the finals, Kobe had the best shooting night of that series but yet ... the Celts won that game.

They'd denied the rest of the Lakers, the ball, and then, kept playing their game. Eventually, all of Kobe's points were answered by a follow up Celtic's team play.

Last night, the Cs did not deliver.

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
LeBron is averaging 31 pts in the playoffs.  His lowest scoring game was 19 in a win against NYK.  He is averaging 34 against us with the low being 29 in game 4.  This was his best game of the series, perhaps even his best playoff game ever but I don't think it is all that shocking for him to put up 40+ pts in a game and he may well do it again.

Miami is a better team but not so much better that we can't win.  To win, we need everyone to play solid and at least someone to be more than solid.  KG has scored between 24-28 in most of our wins so we need that.  Rondo needs to be Rondo with minimal turnovers.  Pierce needs to contribute no less than something near 20 pts and stay out of foul trouble.  Ray needs to hit some 3s and otherwise provide some solid scoring punch.

In addition to the main guys all being solid, someone like Pietrus, Bass, Dooling, need to be a surprise, be in double figures, hit a couple of really timely 3s or whatever.

We have no margin of error, we need all of the above or Miami will win.  I suppose that there is a chance Miami will put up a real stinker of a game and kind of give it to us but I really doubt that is going to happen.  We can stay with them even if Bron goes for 40 but only if we fire on all cylinders.

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
LeBron is averaging 31 pts in the playoffs.  His lowest scoring game was 19 in a win against NYK.  He is averaging 34 against us with the low being 29 in game 4.  This was his best game of the series, perhaps even his best playoff game ever but I don't think it is all that shocking for him to put up 40+ pts in a game and he may well do it again.

Miami is a better team but not so much better that we can't win.  To win, we need everyone to play solid and at least someone to be more than solid.  KG has scored between 24-28 in most of our wins so we need that.  Rondo needs to be Rondo with minimal turnovers.  Pierce needs to contribute no less than something near 20 pts and stay out of foul trouble.  Ray needs to hit some 3s and otherwise provide some solid scoring punch.

In addition to the main guys all being solid, someone like Pietrus, Bass, Dooling, need to be a surprise, be in double figures, hit a couple of really timely 3s or whatever.

We have no margin of error, we need all of the above or Miami will win.  I suppose that there is a chance Miami will put up a real stinker of a game and kind of give it to us but I really doubt that is going to happen.  We can stay with them even if Bron goes for 40 but only if we fire on all cylinders.
Afterall that you then have the refs who may just want a Miami/OKC Finals and now in Game 7 if they want it they could get it.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Afterall that you then have the refs who may just want a Miami/OKC Finals and now in Game 7 if they want it they could get it.

If it's a close game down the stretch, the refs will almost undoubtedly make some close calls that we feel are going the Heat's way (they might even make some that go our way).  The team has to understand that and fight through it.

If we can't do that and can't take game seven, we can have a fun off-season discussing conspiracy theories, crooked refs, and the evil mastermind, David Stern. 

I'd rather just win and save that talk for the Heat fans. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
The Celtics played their worst game since game 1.

Lebron had arguably the best game of his career and was hitting shots he just hadn't been hitting this series.

Games 1-5, Lebron from 10+ feet
30% FG

Game 6, Lebron from 10+ feet
75% FG

Celtics played the same defense on him as before, he was just nailing shot after shot. 

Play up to game 3-5 standards on our end, and hope Lebron doesn't go off.  All you can do.

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think the reality of game 6 is that we never had anyone capable of stopping LeBron James on this team and yet we still miraculously managed to push the series to 7 games.  Law of averages caught up with us tonight and LeBron had a very LeBron type of game.   If Pierce weren't battling a sprained MCL, this might be a little different, but injuries aren't really an excuse.  It is what it is.  LeBron was LeBron last night.   Reality is... the odds are in MIami's favor Saturday as well... and we will more than likely end up losing despite a hard-fought effort.  Be proud of what they accomplished... hope for the best... but don't be disappointed when we lose game 7 by 8-15 points.  Be happy we even got this far.

This is exactly the type of post I referred to in another thread.  It's a coping mechanism.  Don't get your hopes up, and they can't be dashed.

The real "reality" is that the series is tied 3 games a piece.  One game for all the marbles.  Sure, Miami now has home-court, but we've already won on their court.  We can do it again.  These two teams have proven to be very even.  Different, but even.

I fully expect the Celtics to come into game 7 with more focus and deterimantion than game 6.  This has been their M.O. all year; when their backs are up against the wall, they deliver.  Doesn't mean they'll win, but they have a legitimate chance.

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
In 2010, game 5 of the finals, Kobe had the best shooting night of that series but yet ... the Celts won that game.

They'd denied the rest of the Lakers, the ball, and then, kept playing their game. Eventually, all of Kobe's points were answered by a follow up Celtic's team play.

kobealso had a 6-24 shooting game 7 the c's had a chance to win.  I dont see lebron htting all those circus shots in game 7

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
The officials saw the messiah needed no help...

So they doubled down trying to get wade going.  I counted 9 wade travels...3 that were shockingly overt. (2 of those where he tripped over his own feet and took 3 steps in front of 1 and 2 officials.)

We would have probably lost anyway with wade's 9 turnovers.  But if tomorrow's game is called like last night's was I see little chance. 

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
LeBron can score 50 if he wants, this was all on the Celtics not playing their game. Turnovers, lack of execution, lack of urgengy.

This cannot happen again. Go Celtics!!

i agree

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

If it's a close game down the stretch, the refs will almost undoubtedly make some close calls that we feel are going the Heat's way (they might even make some that go our way).  The team has to understand that and fight through it.

If we can't do that and can't take game seven, we can have a fun off-season discussing conspiracy theories, crooked refs, and the evil mastermind, David Stern. 

I'd rather just win and save that talk for the Heat fans. 

I thought about the same way. In that case the Celtics have to play with a sense of urgency (well duh!), and come out with a big lead because we know that the Heat might make a big run.

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 05:28:03 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

kobealso had a 6-24 shooting game 7 the c's had a chance to win.  I dont see lebron htting all those circus shots in game 7

not to mention some if not most of those shots were turn around jumpers...given another game I will still dare Lebron to shoot. I prefer him shooting over driving for the layup or dunking or the and 1...

I don't care about his improvement on jumpers, but when Lebron drives, I expect points or a foul to be called.

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
I am not worried about the ref conspiracy theories noted abouve.  If anything I would think the NBA would want Miami to lose.  The NBA didn't like it that 3 star players took control and decided to play together.  Why would the NBA want to reward that?  Ratings won't be any worse if the Celtics make the finals and maybe they are even better.

There is usually a little home court bias but other than that, why would the NBA want to help Miami?

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 378
its game 7, anything can happen. we know we can beat this team in Miami...lets see how they come out.

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The officials saw the messiah needed no help...

So they doubled down trying to get wade going.  I counted 9 wade travels...3 that were shockingly overt. (2 of those where he tripped over his own feet and took 3 steps in front of 1 and 2 officials.)

We would have probably lost anyway with wade's 9 turnovers.  But if tomorrow's game is called like last night's was I see little chance. 

Did you count uncalled KG travels and illegal picks? He tends to do those all game.