Would you trade Irving for Wall?

Yes
2 (2.4%)
No
77 (92.8%)
Maybe
4 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Trade idea: Irving for Wall  (Read 19338 times)

Re: Trade idea: Irving for Wall
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Terrible contract. Seemingly awful guy to play with. Older than Kyrie.

Oh yeah, and isn’t a better player than Kyrie. So no
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So far 24 no, 0 yes and a maybe. I guess Celticsblog has spoken.

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
Make that 28 saying no, still that 1 maybe and 1 yes?  Someone's CB license should be revoked.   :police:

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I wish we could combine them into one player.

Wall is a significantly better passer and defender.

Kyrie is a significantly better / more efficient scorer and shooter.

Neither seems like a fantastic leader, as each has been a bit prickly with teammates at times.

I see the appeal for acquiring Wall.  With scorers like Hayward and Tatum, Kyrie's elite scoring is arguably less important than defense and having more of a facilitator.  But, if it's not broke, don't fix it at this point, unless a trade is clearly in our favor.
Irving is a better shooter but as I mentioned in the Lillard thread he only scores around 1.26 points per shot.  Wall is at 1.19 in large part because he gets to the line so much more frequently, which not only increases his scoring efficiency but helps put the other team in foul trouble.  Given Wall is a significantly better passer and defender, in a vacuum I'd rather have him as he is the better player.  However, this isn't a vacuum and given age and contract you stick with Irving.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 11:04:02 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Neither seems like a fantastic leader, as each has been a bit prickly with teammates at times.

I see the appeal for acquiring Wall.  With scorers like Hayward and Tatum, Kyrie's elite scoring is arguably less important than defense and having more of a facilitator.  But, if it's not broke, don't fix it at this point, unless a trade is clearly in our favor.
Irving is a better shooter but as I mentioned in the Lillard thread he only scores around 1.26 points per shot.  Wall is at 1.19 in large part because he gets to the line so much more frequently, which not only increases his scoring efficiency but helps put the other team in foul trouble.  Given Wall is a significantly better passer and defender, in a vacuum I'd rather have him as he is the better player.  However, this isn't a vacuum and given age and contract you stick with Irving.
Wall is not a better passer than Kyrie lol,Wall is only good at iso defense so they are about even in defense, also in playoffs it's the shooting not fouls you want, see Harden

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 03:25:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Wall is not a better passer than Kyrie lol,Wall is only good at iso defense so they are about even in defense, also in playoffs it's the shooting not fouls you want, see Harden
Walls defense has been greatly overrated over the last 3 years. He gives half effort 90% of the time. Other 10% highlights that repetitive display make fans believe he is just that. And he isn't. His team peaked at 41-49 wins in the last 5 years. And that is just a tad better than an NBA purgatory.  He had a decent, but not great supporting cast, one of the best in the East. He couldn't beat us 2 years ago, in his peak.  Also, he is breaking down, he can't shoot and he thinks he is MJ. His contract is one of the scariest in the league and he is one injury away from being worse than Rozier. Also, he won't age well injuries/no range.

I'd take Kemba over Wall any day of the week.
And I'd take Kyrie over Kemba 8 days a week.
This trade proposal is beyond my comprehension.
And poll results confirm it.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 04:14:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Walls defense has been greatly overrated over the last 3 years. He gives half effort 90% of the time. Other 10% highlights that repetitive display make fans believe he is just that. And he isn't. His team peaked at 41-49 wins in the last 5 years. And that is just a tad better than an NBA purgatory.  He had a decent, but not great supporting cast, one of the best in the East. He couldn't beat us 2 years ago, in his peak.  Also, he is breaking down, he can't shoot and he thinks he is MJ. His contract is one of the scariest in the league and he is one injury away from being worse than Rozier. Also, he won't age well injuries/no range.

I'd take Kemba over Wall any day of the week.
And I'd take Kyrie over Kemba 8 days a week.
This trade proposal is beyond my comprehension.
And poll results confirm it.
100% agree. Wall is so severely overrated because he puts up empty numbers
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 10:24:07 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Kyrie is a better scorer both volume and efficiency wise.

source

He is also more experienced and a better locker room presence.

To his credit though, Wall doesn't use the word appreciative.

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

source

Is Kyrie a strong positive locker room presence? He feuded with Dion Waiters, gave his teammates the silent treatment in the playoffs, threatened to sit out the season with an exaggerated injury if he wasn’t traded, he has allowed rumors about his departure to linger, etc.

I don’t see chemistry as being a strength for either Kyrie or Wall.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wall is not a better passer than Kyrie lol,

Is this sarcasm?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
How many Trade idea Irving threads before the end of next June? I am banging my head against the Wall with each passing one!

In the playoffs and finals, there is nobody in the Eastern Conference I would rather have shoot the ball at the end of the game with everything on the line and his name does not contain the letter W in it.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

source

Is Kyrie a strong positive locker room presence? He feuded with Dion Waiters, gave his teammates the silent treatment in the playoffs, threatened to sit out the season with an exaggerated injury if he wasn’t traded, he has allowed rumors about his departure to linger, etc.

In Cleveland he may have been a problem but management here in Boston and the young players here in Boston love him.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

source

In Cleveland he may have been a problem but management here in Boston and the young players here in Boston love him.
TP. In a village franchise such as Cavs are, it is no surprise they ticked Kyrie off. He has been lovely since day 1 in Boston.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

source

TP. In a village franchise such as Cavs are, it is no surprise they ticked Kyrie off. He has been lovely since day 1 in Boston.
If Kyrie has a problem with Cleveland then it's Cleveland's fault, period

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
In fantasy basketball, Wall. In real life basketball, Kyrie