Author Topic: best job by refs I've seen in a long time  (Read 2281 times)

Re: best job by refs I've seen in a long time
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
That call against Tatum at the end of the game nearly cost the Celtics the game.

I don’t understand the issue with that call. There was definitely contact with the elbow. The fall was exaggerated, but Tatum hit him.

I think that the man rebounding the ball is entitled to some space to clear the ball.

He had already secured the ball — for several seconds — before swinging his elbows.

There’s clear contact, followed by a flop.

Isn't the offensive play still entitled to space?

Space from what? Tatum was by himself with nobody around him for multiple seconds.

To move into his dribble... It looks like Tatum is moving before #23 comes flopping in there... and correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't that Raptors player trying to intentionally foul Tatum there by putting two hands on him?

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 10:27:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That call against Tatum at the end of the game nearly cost the Celtics the game.

I don’t understand the issue with that call. There was definitely contact with the elbow. The fall was exaggerated, but Tatum hit him.

I think that the man rebounding the ball is entitled to some space to clear the ball.

He had already secured the ball — for several seconds — before swinging his elbows.

Space from what? Tatum was by himself with nobody around him for multiple seconds.

To move into his dribble... It looks like Tatum is moving before #23 comes flopping in there...

No, you don’t get to move into your dribble if doing so drives your elbow into the defender’s face. Especially not when you had four seconds to move prior.

I was worried they were going to call a flagrant with the way elbows to the head are called now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

To move into his dribble... It looks like Tatum is moving before #23 comes flopping in there...

No, you don’t get to move into your dribble if doing so drives your elbow into the defender’s face. Especially not when you had four seconds to move prior.

I was worried they were going to call a flagrant with the way elbows to the head are called now.

What about the fact that The Raptors player grabbed Tatum with two hands attempting to foul him?

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 10:44:10 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Let's talk about the STELLAR defense played by Jaylen vs. Rozier after that call!!!!:-)))

We have had two stellar defensive jobs to save games in the last two games.  One by one of our new vets in Morris on Kemba and one by our newly turned 21 year old Jaylen!!!

So proud of this team!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 10:44:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What about the fact that The Raptors player grabbed Tatum with two hands attempting to foul him?

I believe you’re allowed to touch an opponent so long as you don’t impede him, although I could be wrong.  I don’t think Toronto was attempting to foul yet.

Either way, though, that was a split second play, and the elbow was more egregious than the touch.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Let's talk about the STELLAR defense played by Jaylen vs. Rozier after that call!!!!:-)))

We have had two stellar defensive jobs to save games in the last two games.  One by one of our new vets in Morris on Kemba and one by our newly turned 21 year old Jaylen!!!

So proud of this team!!!

Smitty77

I thought it was good defense, too. After the game, though, Jaylen was hard on himself, basically calling it a late contest and a lucky miss.

"He shook him, he was wide open, vaulted up, and I'll take that shot 999 times out of 1,000," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said about DeRozan's effort.

Brown, who was guarding DeRozan on the final possession, was a bit surprised himself that the shot didn't go down.

"That's a shot that DeMar DeRozan probably hits nine times out of ten," Brown said. "I got a late contest, but he missed this one so we'll take the win."

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm surprised Tatum stood there like a statue for a few seconds. I think the elbow was unintentional, but for the life of me I can't figure out why he froze like a deer in headlights. He should've just passed or dribbled away and made the Raptors foul him.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I believe you’re allowed to touch an opponent so long as you don’t impede him, although I could be wrong.  I don’t think Toronto was attempting to foul yet.

Either way, though, that was a split second play, and the elbow was more egregious than the touch.

OK, point well taken...