Author Topic: 2009 Celtics Draft  (Read 9498 times)

Re: 2009 Celtics Draft
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 11:25:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would be okay if they did nothing in this year's draft and when it came to pick 58 they said "No thanks, we pass. Everyone here that's still available sucks!".

The last thing we need is another project, even another stashed overseas, until we can get rid of one of the three to five projects/scrubs this team already has in it's possession(Giddens, Walker, Pruitt, Erden, Tony). Unless there is a guarantee that a project/scrub is gone don't take the gamble of possibly adding another. There's no need whatsoever for any of them. We need proven vets that fill roles and have diverse skill sets.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »

Offline badax33

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
To dump the draft pick is just plain stupid.  A 2nd round pick cost nothing.  There's no guarantee money.  I like the idea of stashing a player overseas.  None of those guys that were mentioned cost us a single dime.  So why not take a chance.  There are some International players that I'd draft and leave overseas and maybe down  :'(the line they can contribute.  What if you find a Manu Ginobl or Hedo Turgulo would you take either guy for a 2nd round pick!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
To dump the draft pick is just plain stupid.  A 2nd round pick cost nothing.  There's no guarantee money.  I like the idea of stashing a player overseas.  None of those guys that were mentioned cost us a single dime.  So why not take a chance.  There are some International players that I'd draft and leave overseas and maybe down  :'(the line they can contribute.  What if you find a Manu Ginobl or Hedo Turgulo would you take either guy for a 2nd round pick!!!!!
Manu is the only foreigner that was ever drafted that late that became something here and even then his case is special. He was drafted ten years ago when the best players overseas still weren't being given a lot of respect. He was a league MVP and a star overseas for years. Those type of players, if they declare for the draft, are no longer available at 57 or 58. Every team now has a very extensive foreign scouting staff whereas in 1999 that wasn't necessarily true.

And Turk was drafted 16th in the first round.

What's more likely is the C's would draft someone who will either never make the team or would have their rights traded or released. Is the gamble of taking someone a better scenario, yeah. Is it really going to make a difference in the long term, most probably to assuredly not.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 12:19:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Manu is the only foreigner that was ever drafted that late that became something here and even then his case is special. He was drafted ten years ago when the best players overseas still weren't being given a lot of respect. He was a league MVP and a star overseas for years. Those type of players, if they declare for the draft, are no longer available at 57 or 58. Every team now has a very extensive foreign scouting staff whereas in 1999 that wasn't necessarily true.

And Turk was drafted 16th in the first round.

What's more likely is the C's would draft someone who will either never make the team or would have their rights traded or released. Is the gamble of taking someone a better scenario, yeah. Is it really going to make a difference in the long term, most probably to assuredly not.

I agree if for nothin else than we don't have the roster space.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »

Offline johncul

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Jeremy Pargo is interesting. He's got the pedigree (brother of Jannero Pargo, the guy who really made a name for himself on New Orleans 2 seasons ago as a firebug off the bench)

Speaking of Jannero Pargo, doesn't his European-Russian tour end this offseason.  He would be an interesting candidate for backup guard duties that could come at a minimal cost.  He's already proven himself back on New Orleans.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 07:23:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Guard Garrett Temple (working out twice)
Guard Jermaine Taylor
Guard Jeremy Pargo
Forward Leo Lyons

I don't know Jermaine Taylor. He was the guy that tore up the PIT, if I'm not mistaken.

Leon Lyons I saw for the first time in this last tournament. He's the typical skilled player that lacks consistency and focus. Good athletic tools. He impressed me with his offensive skill-set, that's why I included him in my Summer League Celtics team roster. On the other hand, he can blow open lay-ups, miss rotation after rotation and make a string of bonehead plays. But it's someone I'd like to see performing in a different environment. And it'd be nice to have a Celtics player that a CB writer actually defended!

Pargo is the PG for Gonzaga. I haven't seen him in a while, but his best case scenario is career backup. He's generally considered a good defender, but I've always thought he was very slow moving his feet to a PG. I'd rather stick with Pruitt.

I remember Temple from the BBD/Tyrus Thomas team. He's a very strong defender, but his stats are awful. Anyway, it seems they could consider drafting a defensive-minded guard... Anyone knows who else have the Celtics worked out?

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Jeremy Pargo is interesting. He's got the pedigree (brother of Jannero Pargo, the guy who really made a name for himself on New Orleans 2 seasons ago as a firebug off the bench)

Speaking of Jannero Pargo, doesn't his European-Russian tour end this offseason.  He would be an interesting candidate for backup guard duties that could come at a minimal cost.  He's already proven himself back on New Orleans.

Jannero Pargo's stats for the Euroleague 2008-09 year were:

35.9 FG%
28.6 3 PT%
66.7 FT%

3.5 PPG
0.8 RPG
1.4 APG

0.4 SPG
0.0 BPG
1.5 TOPG

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=001276

I hope we don't even think of signing Pargo. I prefer House by far.

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »

Offline Hova

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
JEFF ADRIAN.  FROM UCONN.  EXPERIENCED.  AND HE IS JUST A BEAST

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
take our pick, giddens and tony allen package them together add some ice cream and see what someone will offer
if its not enough throw in moore  8)

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
With FA like Courtney Sims out there would hope they would look in that direction. Sims was eating up D league and was picked up by Phoenix as end of season insurance; but is a FA according to D league website. Also remember we traded away Billups and Joe Johnson early on, so who's to say we can't pick up some young talent cheap. I think we should try and bundle the pick with TA and see what happens.

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
With FA like Courtney Sims out there would hope they would look in that direction. Sims was eating up D league and was picked up by Phoenix as end of season insurance; but is a FA according to D league website. Also remember we traded away Billups and Joe Johnson early on, so who's to say we can't pick up some young talent cheap. I think we should try and bundle the pick with TA and see what happens.
I'm not sure if Danny could do this but I'd actually like to see him take a shot at just trading TA and/or Scal for a 1st rounder straight up.  It would have to be a team under the cap (to avoid taking back salary) that doesn't want to commit to a 2-3 year salary for a rookie that won't contribute and would like an expiring deal to roll off their books next year. 
C's free up a spot for a prospect by ridding themselves of someone they don't/shouldn't have to rely on for minutes.  I don't figure to see Pruitt back so having 3 prospects in Walker, Giddens and the rookie is not hurting the team.  Hopefully it pays off the following year with some contributions from Walker and Giddens (replacing House and hopefully the new vet wing they rent for this year) with another year to develop the new guy.

If the C's keep their 2nd rounder, take a shot at another young Euro prospect and stash overseas like Erden. 

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
It's pretty evident by now Simms isn't NBA material. The shortage of size in the D-League can be very misleading.

I'd like them to give a look at some D-League and minor overseas leagues players. I think there are some players there who are much better than established NBA players. Austin Nichols (French League) or even Othyus Jeffers (D-League) come to mind as players I think that are much better than guys like Tony Allen, Jamario Moon or Quinton Ross.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 11:31:57 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
OK, there is one guy I've forgotten to mention, I DO think we should draft him and NBA.com says we should take a look at him too:
Joe Ingles
http://www.nba.com/draft2009/teams/bos.html

In short, he is a wing player with good size (6'8), decent speed and athleticism compared to other candidates(he is quite an athlete in Australia). He's got range (although sometimes streaky) and a pretty decent midrange game and can finish inside occasionally. He's got good handling and passing game for someone his height. And he can/will be an above average NBA defender.

What do you guys think?
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 11:35:44 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I really like Leo Lyons.. from what i saw of him in the Tourny and in highlights i love him and the other kid from Mizzou with the dreads

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 11:37:22 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Demarre Carrol