Author Topic: 2009 draft observations  (Read 4155 times)

2009 draft observations
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:09:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Here's the draft results
1.      LA Clippers
2.      Memphis
3.      Oklahoma City
4.      Sacramento
5.      Washington
6.      Minnesota
7.      Golden State
8.      New York
9.      Toronto
10.     Milwaukee
11.     New Jersey
12.     Charlotte
13.     Indiana
14.     Phoenix
Following is the order for the remainder of the 2009 NBA Draft:
15.     Detroit
16.     Chicago
17.     Philadelphia
18.     Miami (To Minnesota)
19.     Atlanta
20.     Utah
21.     New Orleans
22.     Dallas
23.     Houston (To Sacramento)
24.     Portland
25.     San Antonio (To Oklahoma City)
26.     Denver (To Chicago via Oklahoma City)
27.     Orlando (To Memphis)
28.     Boston (To Minnesota)
29.     LA Lakers
30.     Cleveland
2009 SECOND ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER
31.     Sacramento
32.     Washington
33.     LA Clippers (To Portland)
34.     Oklahoma City (To Denver)
35.     Minnesota (To Detroit)
36.     Memphis
37.     Golden State (To San Antonio via Phoenix)
38.     New York (To Portland via Chicago)
39.     Toronto (To Detroit)
40.     New Jersey (To Charlotte via Oklahoma City)
41.     Milwaukee
42.     Charlotte (To LA Lakers)
43.     Indiana  (To Miami)
44.     Detroit
45.     Philadelphia (To Minnesota via Miami)
46.     Chicago (To Cleveland)
47.     Miami (To Minnesota)
48.     Phoenix
49.     Atlanta
50.     Utah
51.     New Orleans (To San Antonio via Toronto)
52.     Dallas (To Indiana)
53.     Houston (To San Antonio)
54.     San Antonio (To Charlotte)
55.     Denver (To Portland)
56.     Portland
57.     Orlando (To Phoenix via Oklahoma City)
58.     Boston
59.     LA Lakers
60.     Cleveland (To Miami)

2 main observations:
1 -- how is it the same teams seem to continually get the #1 pick?  3rd time for the Clips -- Manning, Olowakandi and now Griffin.  baffling how many teams have repeatedly gotten the #1. 
2 -- Minnesota's got 5 picks in the draft so there's hope they can improve for Al, Gomes and Mchale's sake but too bad this draft is so weak they'll be lucky to get decent role players.  I wonder if Mchale would consider taking TA, Pruitt or Scal for the two 2nd rounders or get our own #1 back. 

Re: 2009 draft observations
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
1 -- how is it the same teams seem to continually get the #1 pick?  3rd time for the Clips -- Manning, Olowakandi and now Griffin.  baffling how many teams have repeatedly gotten the #1. 

But the Clippers are in the lottery like every year.  And they've only won 3 times.  Just think that the Clippers are in the lottery more often then anyone else, so they should win more often then everyone else too.

Doing a quick (but unofficial) check,  the Clippers have only made the playoffs 4 times since '85.  In 06' (47 wins), '97 (36 wins), '93 (41 wins), and '92 (45 wins). Not considering traded picks (which I'm unsure about), the Clippers would have been in the lottery 21 times, which I'm guessing is more then any other team, so they should have the best odds to win the lottery more then any other team too.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:55:21 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
My only reaction thus far is "poor Blake."

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

Why?  Would he rather go to Sacramento or Memphis?  I can think of a lot worse places to play than L.A.  Sure, the Clippers aren't very good.  But what kind of team do you expect a #1 pick to go to?

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

Why?  Would he rather go to Sacramento or Memphis?  I can think of a lot worse places to play than L.A.  Sure, the Clippers aren't very good.  But what kind of team do you expect a #1 pick to go to?

well, the clippers have a very strong tradition of not improving, ever. The Kings were quite good for a while and will spend money on good players, memphis has potential, great city, and is run by the logo. The clippers are loaded with malcontents and losers, and play second fiddle in their own city to the lakers.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I can understand the sentiment of poor Blake.  Clippers have to be the worst franchise out there.  Not a strong fan base, an owner who is not committed to winning, and they just lose (4 playoff appearances in th last 25 years).  They also have a log jam in low post with Randolf, Camby, Kaman.  Sure LA is a nice city, but everything about the organization doesn't fit.

At least if he ended up in Sacremento or Memphis he'd form a nice young 1-2 punch with Martin or Mayo.  Memphis hasn't really proven to be a good organization, but Sacramento has, they've had great fans and owners who are willing to spend.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
My opinion is that Sam Presti GM of Oklahoma City ( and from that NCAA powerhouse-Emerson) will try to trade for the Griffin...they have the number three this year and three number ones next to offer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 10:25:34 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

Yea I much rather watch him play with Durant over in OK. I could see Blake punching Randolph after a few games.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This thing with international players trying to force thier way onto contenders has got to stop.

http://deadspin.com/5264627/ricky-rubio-is-already-getting-the-hang-of-the-american-game

I mean, i understand no one wants to go play for Memphis or OK, but honestly, knock this crap off.

This makes me lose some respect for rubio, im not going to lie. IF your as good as you think you are, go to a bad team and be the face of that team (ala lebron) don't have your agent whine that you want to go to a big market team.

I have infinitely more respect for players (epically high draft picks) who go to teams who are down and build them up as opposed to spoiled players (like eli manning or, in the NBA YI) who can't be bothered to demean themselves by playing for who drafts them.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

ya, but those other cities don't have a racist who likes to demean women as their owner.

http://deadspin.com/5263277/the-sordid-life-of-clippers-owner-donald-sterling

with an owner like that, i wonder why there a low class organization?  8)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
I mean, i understand no one wants to go play for Memphis or OK, but honestly, knock this crap off.

This makes me lose some respect for rubio, im not going to lie. IF your as good as you think you are, go to a bad team and be the face of that team (ala lebron) don't have your agent whine that you want to go to a big market team.

This is a fair point; however, this is Rubio’s advantage of already being a “professional.”

Secondly, I think as a foreigner it is a different story. For example, the Euro-League does not have a draft system;  you play for whatever team gives you the most competitive offer (I think this is the case, but will gladly receive confirmation that this isn’t the case). Therefore, I empathize with the mentality of trying to put yourself in the best situation possible and not leaving it to chance.

Furthermore, Rubio is a national teammate of both Gasol brothers. I’m assuming if he’s avoiding Memphis, there has to be some negative feedback from either one or both of them. Otherwise, I’d assume that he’d be happy to play with his countryman.

This may be over-empathizing with Rubio and other foreign players, but I think the fact that they are already professional players being paid allows them the flexibility to have a say and impact on their destination.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I can understand the sentiment of poor Blake.  Clippers have to be the worst franchise out there.  Not a strong fan base, an owner who is not committed to winning, and they just lose (4 playoff appearances in th last 25 years).  They also have a log jam in low post with Randolf, Camby, Kaman.  Sure LA is a nice city, but everything about the organization doesn't fit.

At least if he ended up in Sacremento or Memphis he'd form a nice young 1-2 punch with Martin or Mayo.  Memphis hasn't really proven to be a good organization, but Sacramento has, they've had great fans and owners who are willing to spend.
everything relates back to the owner.  People forget that team was stacked a few years back, before Sterling's arms shrunk and he could no longer reach into his pocket.

The 02-03 Clippers team had Brand, Odom, Maggette, Miller, Wilcox, Q Rich, Kandi, and Jaric and came out of the draft with Kaman and Matt Barnes.  They let Miller and Odom leave at the end of the that year and got absolutely nothing for them all because the owner didn't want to pay.  Absolutely ridiculous how good they could have been had they kept that team in tact.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip