Author Topic: Celtics mock draft: picking Mutombos nephew with #14?  (Read 6134 times)

Re: Celtics mock draft: picking Mutombos nephew with #14?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2019, 02:57:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Regarding wingspan

Look at Yabu. He has a 7'1 wingspan

Seriously, what has he done thus far?

Wingspan helps ... but I would say only as a tiebreaker between prospects

If one has a shorter wingspan but is a more complete player otherwise... then...

This is going to be an interesting draft. Nobody knows what will happen after the first 3 picks

Yabu was considered undersized at the draft for a PF DESPITE his length and strength.

Yabu's issue isn't length.  His issue is that he has the body of an offensive linesman and he moves like it.  Just not quick or explosive enough to make up for his lack of height.  He's got some touch and his jumper isn't broken but with his lack of quickness the only position he can play is center, and he just gives up too much height to be playable at that position on the defensive end.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Regarding wingspan

If one has a shorter wingspan but is a more complete player otherwise... then...

This is going to be an interesting draft. Nobody knows what will happen after the first 3 picks

Yabu was considered undersized at the draft for a PF DESPITE his length and strength.

Yabu's issue isn't length.  His issue is that he has the body of an offensive linesman and he moves like it.  Just not quick or explosive enough to make up for his lack of height.  He's got some touch and his jumper isn't broken but with his lack of quickness the only position he can play is center, and he just gives up too much height to be playable at that position on the defensive end.

Completely agree. He needs to have a weight clause in his contract. He simply is too heavy, and it hinders his performance.

Draymond Green dramatical improvement was not just loss of KD, but also significant weight this season. He is a different player.  I expected so much more from Yabu than he has given us.

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Regarding wingspan

I actually think he is pretty nimble on his feet.   I thought he was in position better on D in his spot minutes later in the season.   He’s hard to judge though because he is buried on a team of experienced bigs Horford, Baynes, Theis, and Morris, and starting late in his youth playing and only 22 I wouldn’t mind if we held onto him.  Stevens has said it himself he thinks he has a bright future seeing him all the time in practice.

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2019, 05:26:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Regarding wingspan

I actually think he is pretty nimble on his feet.   I thought he was in position better on D in his spot minutes later in the season.   He’s hard to judge though because he is buried on a team of experienced bigs Horford, Baynes, Theis, and Morris, and starting late in his youth playing and only 22 I wouldn’t mind if we held onto him.  Stevens has said it himself he thinks he has a bright future seeing him all the time in practice.

I think Yabu has pretty good coordination for a guy his size.  He has a certain grace to how he moves.  That's not the same thing as being quick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2019, 05:28:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Clarke has NO shot at all, cannot handle the ball effectively, and will not be able to post up NBA pfs/center effectively due to his height/wingspan.

He will post up Guards, and he can run by bigger centers on offense, but he is relegated entirely to someone else setting him up. He cannot get anything himself.

Look, I'm the furthest thing from an expert on the draft generally, and in particular with respect to this draft.

That said, if he's so flawed and inept, how is it that he was so productive and effective this year for Gonzaga?

Guys who find ways to be super productive in college tend to translate that to the pros in some fashion, unless their game is premised entirely on size or athleticism.  Doesn't sound like that's the case with Clarke.

Easiest example to think of is Kelly Olynyk, who was also super productive at Gonzaga and also has below average wingspan.  Kelly is not a star by any means, nor will he ever become one.  But he's been a useful NBA player from day one.  He's always been a positive in the eyes of stats like +/-, on/off etc.   He just helps a team win basketball games.

I suspect Clarke will be similar.

They will laugh at that comparidon

Because these folks want the next Giannis aka Dombouya risk

Clarke imo will be better than Olynyk. His improvement from the line from 59 to 70 percent is a nice sign that he can improve his 3 pt shot.  Gonzaga didnt need him to be hanging around the perimeter last season

I could get on board with taking a risk.  Question is whether there will be a guy available at 14 who will have that kind of upside.  A lot of mocks have Doumbouya going earlier than 14.

Also, does Sekou have the kind of upside that Giannis had?  Or anything close?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2019, 06:01:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Clarke has NO shot at all, cannot handle the ball effectively, and will not be able to post up NBA pfs/center effectively due to his height/wingspan.

He will post up Guards, and he can run by bigger centers on offense, but he is relegated entirely to someone else setting him up. He cannot get anything himself.

Look, I'm the furthest thing from an expert on the draft generally, and in particular with respect to this draft.

That said, if he's so flawed and inept, how is it that he was so productive and effective this year for Gonzaga?

Guys who find ways to be super productive in college tend to translate that to the pros in some fashion, unless their game is premised entirely on size or athleticism.  Doesn't sound like that's the case with Clarke.

Easiest example to think of is Kelly Olynyk, who was also super productive at Gonzaga and also has below average wingspan.  Kelly is not a star by any means, nor will he ever become one.  But he's been a useful NBA player from day one.  He's always been a positive in the eyes of stats like +/-, on/off etc.   He just helps a team win basketball games.

I suspect Clarke will be similar.

They will laugh at that comparidon

Because these folks want the next Giannis aka Dombouya risk

Clarke imo will be better than Olynyk. His improvement from the line from 59 to 70 percent is a nice sign that he can improve his 3 pt shot.  Gonzaga didnt need him to be hanging around the perimeter last season

I could get on board with taking a risk.  Question is whether there will be a guy available at 14 who will have that kind of upside.  A lot of mocks have Doumbouya going earlier than 14.

Also, does Sekou have the kind of upside that Giannis had?  Or anything close?

not everyday you see a player that is 6'10 and taller that can handle the ball like a guard, driving to the basket

he also has good form on his jump shot

this said... I'm not too sure about the other parts of his game or what position he will play at the next level

from the highlights didn't see a lot of "nasty" or "physical".     Looks like a Lamar Odom type until I see more