Author Topic: Knicks looking into trading down in draft  (Read 3154 times)

Re: Knicks looking into trading down in draft
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 01:01:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Honestly, if I were the Pelicans I would much rather take an offer of 3rd Pick (Barrett), Knox, and Dennis Smith for Davis than an offer of Tatum, Smart, and the Memphis pick from the Celtics. Barrett’s going to be a better player than Tatum, he already has great chemistry with Zion, and we don’t really know where that Memphis Pick will end up, could be late lottery - just look at where we thought the Kings Pick would land this time last year. Also, Smith and Knox will be high Caliber starters in this league.

So I don’t really no why people say Knicks don’t have as good of a chance as the Celtics or Lakers..

Strongly disagree that Barrett will be better than Tatum. Just the opposite. There are a lot of flaws in his game. Jason had such a strong rookie year, and while he struggled this season, still improved. 

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Honestly, if I were the Pelicans I would much rather take an offer of 3rd Pick (Barrett), Knox, and Dennis Smith for Davis than an offer of Tatum, Smart, and the Memphis pick from the Celtics. Barrett’s going to be a better player than Tatum, he already has great chemistry with Zion, and we don’t really know where that Memphis Pick will end up, could be late lottery - just look at where we thought the Kings Pick would land this time last year. Also, Smith and Knox will be high Caliber starters in this league.

So I don’t really no why people say Knicks don’t have as good of a chance as the Celtics or Lakers..

Why?

Knox sucks
Denis smith jr got a bad attitude and underperforms
Barrett is unproven and not the best at the college level.

Tatum shows in playoffs
Smart is a all nba defensive team member.

And that assuming knicks offer all of that

So Knox being a young player on the worst team in the league means he sucks? Okay. A lot of good young players have had inefficient rookie seasons on horrid teams and turned out fine. He would easily be a rope ten pick in this years draft had he stayed in school.

Dennis Smith is still in his early twenties so should be given more time before being dismissed. Clearly the Knicks thought he was good enough to be a major piece of the Porzingiz trade. He’s still got elite athleticism and some decent point guard skills, which the pelicans will be in need of.

Barrett’s just has a higher ceiling than Tatum. I see Barrett play and see shades of T-Mac/PG13. I don’t see Tatum ever teaching that level - he’s more of Danny Granger/Tobias Harris to me. And the only thing he proved in this years playoffs is that he’s capable of disappearing for long stretches of games.

Smart doesn’t fit in with the timetable of the Pelicans, assuming they want to go young.

And I think the Knicks absolutely will offer all that. If they get Davis, Kyrie and Durant are more likely than not to follow. So why not take the gamble?

My apologies for typos as I’m on an iPhone.

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 01:13:45 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
If I were Atlanta I would never make that swap. I don't see a huge difference between Barrett and the players available at 8 and 10. Two chances are better than one.
It is essentially the same swap Atlanta made with Dallas just the other way. I don't think it fits their philosophy, so I wonder if it is the Knicks floating the idea.

Though if their GM likes Barrett a lot it makes sense. You just need to believe the player you are moving up for is a star.

If Atlanta snagged another player it could get interesting though.

Trae
Barrett
Huerter
??
Collins

start of a good young lineup there.

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
If Ainge can't get Anthony Davis, I'd be happy to trade Tatum or Jaylen to NY for RJ Barrett.

I think RJ with his ball-handling & passing will be the better young wing to build around long term.
Wow this is a terrible idea.

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
The only player in this draft I'd trade Tatum for is Zion, and I'd laugh at any proposal to the contrary.

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22:44 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I don't think the Knicks are confident that they will get KD, AD, or Kyrie.

Knicks is probably the most dysfunctional franchise along with LAL.
My read is that the Knicks are confident they'll get KD and don't think Barrett will be the guy they want on a team with KD.

It is possible NO would value two top ten (8 and 10)picks and all their youth vs that 3rd pick. Hard to know either way. Hope that is not what is happening here.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

Strongly disagree that Barrett will be better than Tatum. Just the opposite. There are a lot of flaws in his game. Jason had such a strong rookie year, and while he struggled this season, still improved.

Tatum May very well turn out to be the better shooter, but I think that’s the only category in which he has the edge. Barrett just sees the court better, better at getting others involved, better finisher, better switch defender...Give me Barrett over Tatum. I’m going as far as to say Barrett will have a better career than Tatum or Zion.

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 01:27:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Why?

Knox sucks

Tatum shows in playoffs

So Knox being a young player on the worst team in the league means he sucks? Okay. A lot of good young players have had inefficient rookie seasons on horrid teams and turned out fine. He would easily be a rope ten pick in this years draft had he stayed in school.

Dennis Smith is still in his early twenties so should be given more time before being dismissed. Clearly the Knicks thought he was good enough to be a major piece of the Porzingiz trade. He’s still got elite athleticism and some decent point guard skills, which the pelicans will be in need of.

Barrett’s just has a higher ceiling than Tatum. I see Barrett play and see shades of T-Mac/PG13. I don’t see Tatum ever teaching that level - he’s more of Danny Granger/Tobias Harris to me. And the only thing he proved in this years playoffs is that he’s capable of disappearing for long stretches of games.

Smart doesn’t fit in with the timetable of the Pelicans, assuming they want to go young.

And I think the Knicks absolutely will offer all that. If they get Davis, Kyrie and Durant are more likely than not to follow. So why not take the gamble?

Knox's PER was 8.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Why?

Knox sucks

Tatum shows in playoffs

Knox had all the opportunity in the word and got outplayed by Dotson
Even at the time of the Draft Knox was looked at as a grade C pick, and he did nothing to change that. High Volume, High Usage, Poor shooting scorer. He MIGHT be a top 10 pick this year if he stayed, MIGHT

Smith Jr is an undersized shooting guard who doesnt shoot well enough to be a full time scorer and is a bad distributor. He would fit terribly with Zion, I cannot see why the Pelicans would want a score first PG who has bad playmaking ability on no outside shot to play with someone like Zion.

Barrett just has a higher ceiling than Tatum? why? Because you said so? You talk of Tatum disappearing for stretches of games after carrying the team in last years playoffs but speak nothing of Barretts disappearance on Duke. Tatum is a MUCH more polished offensive player and is easily as good a defensive player, is equally as athletic, is bigger and has proven himself on the biggest stage in the sport. Barrett has a long way to go. and I find it funny that draft sites compare barrett to Granger.

Smart is only 25 years old. He is 3.5 years younger than Holliday. He absolutely fits the timeline, and he is more valuable a player than anything the Knicks could offer individually.

Knox and Smith both had negative ows, Smart a positive 2.2
Knox and smith both had very low defensive win shares, Smart a 3.1 Knox and Smith both had negative WS, Smart a plus 5.3
Smart fits the timeline and individually dominates the value of Knox or Smith. Most GMs wouldnt trade smart for the 2 of those guys combined. (I wouldnt)

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 01:34:40 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Tatum May very well turn out to be the better shooter, but I think that’s the only category in which he has the edge. Barrett just sees the court better, better at getting others involved, better finisher, better switch defender...Give me Barrett over Tatum. I’m going as far as to say Barrett will have a better career than Tatum or Zion.

you sound like a Knick fan.

the biggest knocks on Barrett is his LACK of playmaking and defense.

tatum is superior in both of those.

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

you sound like a Knick fan.

the biggest knocks on Barrett is his LACK of playmaking and defense.

tatum is superior in both of those.

Well luckily I’m not a Knicks fan. I am a Celtics fan and a Tatum fan, so I really get no pleasure in saying Barrett’s a better prospect, but I’ll stick by it regardless  of how unpopular the opinion is. People were so quick to act like Tatum was a 6”8 Kobe Bryant, but the reality is that he has a lot of holes in his game that include getting past defenders off the dribble, handling the ball, getting others involved, and being able to guard out on the perimeter. Those are all things that worry me. Not to mention the tendency of becoming a black hole on offense.