Author Topic: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)  (Read 63976 times)

Re: Big Announcement: CelticsBlog forums phasing out (need your help)
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Just terrible news. If the front page had a better set up (no, Fan posts are not the answer), then it could be a pretty seamless transition. My fear is that if we set up a separate site just for forums, then that will eventually fall out of favor to many current CB users. Sucks having to start over from scratch (no post or TP count) on another site.

Personally, I always click on the main page and scroll for new/interesting articles before venturing into the forums, but the forums are by far my preferred form of Celtics (and everything else) news. I have very few friends, hate Facebook, and have almost no online presence besides this site. I get almost no enjoyment from being online besides occasionally going to Youtube.

It is obviously not Jeff's or anybody else's fault, but at least for me, this is going to be a major change (reduction) in how I browse the internet. CB forums have been automatic for me since like 2004.

My first thoughts here... hopefully there is an opportunity to import the archives and reclaim screen names. Also if SBNation would consider continuing to link to it.

A link would certainly lessen the blow...a LOT. Great idea! It would seem to make some sense for them as there would be the added traffic through SBNation. I imagine there would be a way to import all of the information from this site, but that would probably be a lot of tedious work.

The future of CB forums now sits on your shoulders, byennie - I hope you are up for the task  ;) (of course, I am kidding - but it means a great deal to many of us here that you are willing to help!)

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I am inept at tech stuff, but get so much value from the forum, would be willing to kick in some $$ to cover any initial set up costs for registration fees.  Probably coordinate a venmo account with the person who ends up setting up new forum.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
the big question: will our stars/TP carry over?

ha

The hope would be to just import the entire database over to a different site.

We run SMF (Simple Machines). 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's unfortunate that forums can't generate revenue sufficient to justify the cost of hosting them for a company like SBNation, despite the fact that the discussions in a place like this are 1000% better than what happens in a typical SBNation comment section.  But it's also not terribly surprising.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Could we set up fund raising on here to keep it alive on this site? How much would it take? I would contribute if possible

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I know you guys HAD to have ran through logistics with SBNation, but it's surprising to me they couldn't figure out a way to run an ad at the top of the site, or why that wouldn't be effective...  I imagine a forum gets quite a bit of clicks.

If we could keep the "Forum" button at the top to redirect to the new forum, that would be great.

I will be glad when I don't have to wait 5 minutes for a page to load though.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 02:50:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
this news ruined my day

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I think a GoFundMe or similar would make sense to help the transition along, but definitely a few steps away when/ if a move is more imminent. Ultimately it has to be sustainable.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Someone go wake up Bob Day.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Someone go wake up Bob Day.

I’m working on it. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Hope we can keep the blog alive for many years to come.  I planned to pass this down to my children and it may take years to convince any woman to make a mistake of that magnitude.

Like others, I'd be willing to make a donation as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:49:49 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 03:01:10 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i can do absolutely nothing to help in terms of technology. sorry.

however, Jeff, are you saying that celticsblog will become a pay site? or just that funds are needed to help the transition away from SB?

if the latter, someone let me know how much expected contributions will be.

good luck Jeff.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'm thinking a little more in-depth poll will be useful: whether people plan to make the move, what they might be willing to contribute, what they'd like to see, etc.

Let me formulate something a little less off-the-cusp for that over the weekend, though.

IMO it should definitely not be a pay site, but donations to keep it running could play a role depending on how it shakes out.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I can do it.

Database can be imported to a new site. Just need to work out hosting. I have a hosting server but probably not enough bandwidth.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I know absolutely nothing about technology whatsoever.

If there's an issue with money, since enough cash can solve just about any issue, I'm more than happy to make an up-front contribution, pay a monthly membership fee, etc. If CelticsBlog goes away in all forms, I may have to, ya know, work during the day.

Suggestion (and this is going ruffle a few feathers, but we're at that point):

I know that everyone's personal resources are different, so a membership fee or donation may make the site inaccessible to some. There are, however, a few ways to raise money using the site, either with targeted advertising, banner ads or relevant affiliate links (e.g., StubHub, Seat Geek, etc.). Once the site is up, running and at least at break-even after costs, proceeds could be used to reimburse those who had donated or reduce membership fees.

It's not perfect, but I would happily deal with a daily pop-up ad, emailed link, etc. to keep the site going.

Mike