Author Topic: Improve the bench  (Read 14679 times)

Re: Improve the bench
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2024, 03:56:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Two small trades and fully sign one of our two-way players would make a huge change to our team.  These three things help us this year plus in the up coming years. 

Trade One
Celtics - Luke Kornet, Svi Mykhailiuk, Two 2nd rounders
Hornets - Nick Richard

Hornets are in rebuild more with now trading Rozier so draft capital they're looking for.  Honestly if they wanted our first this year instead of two seconds I do it still.  Richard is sign for 2 more years after this, younger, better rebounder and roll to the backet player.  Plus could be in a trade next year.

Trade Two
Celtics - Two 2nd rounders
Grizzlies - John Konchar

Grizzles looking for draft capital and we get to use our TPE.  Also by doing this Konchar is signed for 3 more years after this and could be pair after this year with a player like Pritchard to bring in a more expensive player if he doesn't work out.  Konchar also gives us another 2/3 which it seems we're always going to need.

Fully sign Neemias Queta.  Yes, he's not the most refined player but when he's playing he's energetic, boards and plays defense.  Celtics sign him to a two or three year deal and he becomes a valuable backup for us.  Come playoffs the game can slow down and having a young big can come in handy specially with Horford and Porzingis needing to keep minutes down during the season.

This also gives us the ability to keep Pritchard.  Honestly I'm not a huge fan of him so I'd be willing to package him in deals but he might be worth more in the offseason. 

Who are some of your not well known players you'd like the Celtics to trade for and think they could help win.

Is Richard an upgrade over Kornet? I have my doubts.

He's a major upgrade over Kornet, between stats he puts up, a rim runner and also a better paint defender.  Plus he's signed cheap for the next 2 years after this year.

Richards is currently playing 24 mpg, which is 10 more than Luke. Their per-36 and per-100 stats are actually quite similar. Kornet has better efficiency, has a better offensive and defensive rating (though that's probably because he has better players around him), and is better across a wider range of stats (offensive rebounds, assists, steals, blocks).

click to enlarge

We could argue that if Richards was playing with teammates that Luke has his stats would be better, but he's also on $5m, which is $3m more than Kornet. So he would fit into the GWill TPE. Not a big deal until you realize we're already over the luxury tax, so that extra $3m costs (if I calculate the luxury tax correctly) $9m in tax for a total of $12m. And we're over the 2nd apron so that's $3m more we would have to cut to get back under it if we had to.

Most importantly, where would the extra 10 mins for him come from? I guess it would be Horford who is currently on 27 mins. But Horford is shooting 41% from 3 and Richards is shooting 0%. I don't really see him as a Horford replacement because he doesn't really spread the floor - he's more like a more polished, more expensive version of Queta. Would he be happy with a reduced role and reduced minutes to get a ring, when he might be trying to get paid? Or would he get frustrated and get disruptive in the locker room?

No doubt he'd be a contributor, a lot of teams would love to have him, I just don't know if it would be worth the cost for what his role would be in this team and I'm uncertain if the fit is right. Now if we lose KP or Horford to injury that would change our need and his fit might be better, but only then I think.

Our constraints - both financial and the fit/role a player would have in our team given any backup we get would not get a lot of minutes - make it really hard to find the right fit of player at the right cost. I'm sure they are out there though, somewhere  :police:

Richards I think becomes a bigger insurance policy then Kornet for sure.  Money isn't an issue with this team this year.  Also I think you have to consider like I said he's signed for two more years after this.  With not knowing how much Horford will play next year, he could keep Horford fresher next year as well.  When you look at the money with a player of Richards production in his minutes for his price, I don't think you can beat it really.  Plus the ability he gives of a rim runner which isn't Kornet's game, he could show even more value here in Boston.

Kornet a better fit for this team as 3rd big.  I'd prefer him to Richards, especially where you have to give up draft capital for him.  We need to focus on a wing or guard who can put up points for the 2nd unit. 

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2024, 08:14:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Clips game was a huge disappointment. Plenty of blame to go around. Players missed shots and played lethargic defense. Joe sat on his hands.

Front office needs to make a move. There have been no major player injuries yet this season, but team has no insurance if a KP or Horford go down.

This team needs another center. KP and Horford are essentially spitting time at the center spot and I don't see that changing given both players' fragility. I don't care about stats, Luke Kornet does not pass the eye test. He has terrible hands, cannot rebound in traffic and he is targeted on defense. I swear he makes shooters better when he tries to guard them.

This team has plenty of wings and ball-handlers.  Go get a center.

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2024, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The Celtics are the most stacked team in the league. Their 5th best starter is probably Holiday who was an All Star last year. That's pretty crazy. The bench is the best in net rating performance. We're a little spoiled by asking for even more. You can't have a perfect team.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2024, 02:51:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Celtics are the most stacked team in the league. Their 5th best starter is probably Holiday who was an All Star last year. That's pretty crazy. The bench is the best in net rating performance. We're a little spoiled by asking for even more. You can't have a perfect team.
are they?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2024, 04:33:53 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
are they?

Holiday is probably our 5th best player, is there any team who has that?

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2024, 04:39:36 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
We do need a big..with Al’s age, Porzingus injuries history & don’t trust Kornet
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2024, 05:55:23 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
We do need a big..with Al’s age, Porzingus injuries history & don’t trust Kornet

Who would be an upgrade on our budget?

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2024, 06:29:57 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414

Maybe a buyout candidate..don’t know who that would be
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2024, 06:36:51 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

With Luke playing decent minutes, I think Blake would do the trick if he’s available and in shape.

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2024, 02:01:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

This is why we haven't been able to find a replacement...because it's hard to name a specific player to target  ;D All we know is we want someone better than Luke, but we don't know who. And if we do go to the buyout market because we are over the 1st apron we can't get anyone who was making more than the non taxpayer MLE which is $12.5m, so we're not getting any one like Hayward or Lowry even if they were willing to sign a vet min to chase a ring.

If we do get anyone, and I think we will, I don't think it would be a clear upgrade over anyone we already have, because of our financial situation...it would probably be someone to add depth in case of injuries or a "shuffling the deck chairs" type signing. But if we do sign someone, and we want to convert Queta for the playoffs, then we would have to drop one of Banton, Brissett or Stevens. Assuming our top 9 is untouchable.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2024, 09:24:11 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I do not think they make a trade here at the deadline.

Think it will be a buyout candidate the pick up.

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2024, 09:49:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I do not think they make a trade here at the deadline.

Think it will be a buyout candidate the pick up.

I think we'll make a trade, but only to dump some contracts (Banton, Svi, etc.).  We'll then replace those guys with cheaper buyouts and/or G-Leaguers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2024, 11:03:18 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
How about Xavier Tillman? He’s getting limited mins in a team that’s dealing with a lot of injuries. Maybe a couple of seconds gets it dome? He fits easily into our TPE.

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2024, 11:22:31 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like Thaddeus Young as a potential buyout candidate. Not sure if the Raptors will buy him out but he's making $8M currently. He would bolster the center spot (which is sorely needed) and is a solid vet. He would mostly take Luke's minutes.

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2024, 01:30:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
How about Cedi Osman? Trade 3 of the deep bench guys (Brissett, Banton, Stevens, Svi) and a 2nd or 2. Can't imagine he is in Spurs long term plan and he'd be a nice 8th or 9th man here. Spurs can drop some cash, get a look at some cheap guys, and pick up some 2nd's.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip