Author Topic: *ROY with Asterisk  (Read 3201 times)

Re: ROY with asterik
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I respectfully disagree that extra year of strength training and physical maturity is an unfair advantage.   It is bad luck if you get injured and can't get it your rookie year.

Rookies should be guys who get drafted the previous year.   Both Rollie and myself have played basketball past high school.   Have either of you, too? 

If you did you would know what an edge it is to be 21 instead of 19 in terms of physical maturity.

I'm not sure I follow. There are players in a draft that can be anywhere from 18 years old to 23.... The 23 year old can't win ROY because he decided to stay in college four years as opposed to one?

I agree with the logic that the NBA has it right. First year playing is your rookie year.

Re: *ROY with Asterisk
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Who cares about rookie of the year. As long as Tatum turns out to be the better player of the two in the future, I couldn't care less about who's going to win the ROY-title this year.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
You do not always need a LeBron to win a championship... kyrie is young so is Hayward... you want Brown and Tatum to grow together and become all stars... if you have those 4 quality guys you will be super competitive...

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 05:43:06 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I'm in the what does it matter, it is only ROY. If the award was given to the best player from the last draft class Simmons would have missed out unfairly last season. It is what it is. Life isn't 'fair' and you can't make it 100% fair to everybody. Love having Tatum, would be great in Simmons was a Celtic too.

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
ROY is just for fun.  Doesn't mean anything really.  Unlike winning the Best Supporting Actor Oscar, it doesn't even translate into more money or more opportunities (my guess is Lonzo will be the product endorsement winner regardless).  No one can rest on ROY laurels.   Simmons meets criteria and looks deserving. Glad he's not a Laker.

Celtics have had only 2 winners in franchise history.  Larry Bird and..... Tommy!

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 06:47:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
No asterisk needed.  Fact is some guys come in after one, two, three, and four years (or even ten years) post high school.  This is Simmons first year of playing NBA games and that's basically the definition of a rookie.

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
No asterisk needed.  Fact is some guys come in after one, two, three, and four years (or even ten years) post high school.  This is Simmons first year of playing NBA games and that's basically the definition of a rookie.
I totally agree. No other definition makes sense. Is Zizic a rookie? Isn't it "unfair"  that he was stashed and got to play in the Euroleague under an NBA coach for a season,  compared to others that played for lesser teams with lesser coaches in lesser leagues? Or better ones? We have a definition. Let's live with it.

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 12:54:38 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I do feel that it's unfair that Simmons is in consideration for rookie of the year when he was drafted last year.  However we follow whatever the league rules are.  I guess they count playing time, rather than the year you are drafted.

If Simmons hadn't rolled his ankle or whatever it was that made him miss last year, he still probably would have struggled his rookie year imo because he can't shoot.

This year Simmons is clearly the front runner.  But I do feel he has an unfair advantage of a year's development time.  Unfortunately there's just nothing that mitigates this in terms of ROY voting.

So Tatum will likely end up 2nd in voting and just a footnote rather than receiving the award.