Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56540 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2020, 09:52:33 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Sporting news mock draft picks for Celtics

17. Isaiah Stewart

26. Leandro Bolmaro (draft and stash)

30.  Aleksej Pokusevski (draft and stash)

I would be cool with this.  Landro Bomaro reminds me of Bogdonovich from the Kings.

Looking at this mock, my first thought was if their mock was right and Hampton falls to 12 and Hayes to 13 then the Cs should really try to use 17,30 and Semi to move up and land one of those two. Then hope that Achiuwa, Williams, Tillman or Stewart are available with Cs own pick.

If not trading I would take P Williams or Achiuwa at #17 then look draft and stash with bucks pick (Bolmaro, Pokusevski, or Alocen) at 30 I’d love to see the Cs trade out for future picks but if not their should be a long list of role player type players available Tillie, Tyler Bey, Hurt, Pritchard, to name a few
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
17. Isaiah Stewart
26. Jahmi’us Ramsey
30. Paul Reed
46. Lamar Stevens

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2020, 03:06:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

If not trading I would take P Williams or Achiuwa at #17 then look draft and stash with bucks pick (Bolmaro, Pokusevski, or Alocen) at 30 I’d love to see the Cs trade out for future picks but if not their should be a long list of role player type players available Tillie, Tyler Bey, Hurt, Pritchard, to name a few

Patrick Williams? reminds me of OG anunoby. Jump shot needs work/slow release

Right now I like

17. Killian Hayes (unlikely drops to 17, amazing handles and good shooter/passer)
26. Achiuwa (motor, rebounding, defense)
30. Elijah Hughes  (size/height for SG, jump shot, off bench scoring?)

Hayes highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzWJlVUAccY

Hughes highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sos8vskMwWg

Achiuwa highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwDepZAf5J4

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:18:58 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

17. Isaiah Stewart

I would be cool with this.  Landro Bomaro reminds me of Bogdonovich from the Kings.

Looking at this mock, my first thought was if their mock was right and Hampton falls to 12 and Hayes to 13 then the Cs should really try to use 17,30 and Semi to move up and land one of those two. Then hope that Achiuwa, Williams, Tillman or Stewart are available with Cs own pick.

So much this. If Williams isn't there, I'm taking Pokusevski. If he is, I might draft him at 17 or I might just wait and see if I can get him later. Take Pokusevski and then maybe try to combine 26 and 30 to move up to 22 or 3 if possible if I think he will slide that far. I'm all about cutting costs wherever possible since we're about to pay out some big money real soon to keep 2 starters and probably upgrade 1 or both of Waters and Fall.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2020, 10:55:32 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
as i look at this draft, some people here are saying that there is little to no talent available. i disagree. all drafts have SOME talent. and my very cursory view of the available players says some of these guys will be nba level talent. perhaps this draft lacks all stars-galore near the top. that i might agree with.

however, even the notorious Anthony-Bennett at #1 draft of 2013 contained the following players:

Oladipo #2
McCollum #10
Adams #12
Olynyk #13
Antetokounmpo #15
Dieng #21
Plumlee #22
Gobert #27

Yeah, over all not a great haul of talent. but certainly some stars later on and other players that belong in the nba.

given the location of the celtics' picks, i hope ainge swings for the fences on each and every pick. the celtics have a lot of young talent right now, so picking up bench players is not a concern for me.

though how ainge sees this and whom he will pick will be interesting...as ever.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2020, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If Manion drops to 17, who thinks Danny take him?

Celts are in need of a backup PG.  Can't see Wannamaker brought back season/signed long term extension

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2020, 08:06:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What about Derrick Alston Jr. from Boise State? Bad competition and he is already a Junior, but I like the tools. He reminds me a bit of Oubre.

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Right now I like

17. Killian Hayes (unlikely drops to 17, amazing handles and good shooter/passer)

Hayes highlight

Hughes highlight

Achiuwa highlight

Kevin O'Connor has Hayes ranked Number 1 on his draft board!

I doubt he will go first, but it is unlikely he falls out of top 10.

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
If Manion drops to 17, who thinks Danny take him?

Celts are in need of a backup PG.  Can't see Wannamaker brought back season/signed long term extension

I can see Wannamaker coming back.  He was solid off the bench.  I thought he was done after last year and was surprised they brought him back.  We are win now we need a reliable PG for right now and even if its third ball handler.  He is knows the system, he knows his role, and he fits within the team chemistry.

« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown

17. Isaiah Stewart

I can get behind that draft too, but I wouldn't want to stash Pokusevski.  I want him in Boston or Maine working with Celtics strength trainers and coaches.  Kid is 18 we need to develop him here so we do it right.  Playing in China didn't help Yabuselle it made him worse.   

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
I think you could argue that with less data due to the cancellation of conference tourneys and the likely cancellation of March Madness, teams will be less prepared to draft the best players, and therefore top players might fall to the middle of the first round.

I mean, that happens in normal years, especially when players don't have a lot of tape (see Giannis). I wonder if that could happen more this year.

I think no tournament can work to our advantage.  One of the players I like is Jalen Smith and he was playing really good at the end of the season.  If Maryland had made it to the final 4 or even the elite 8 he may have played himself out of our range.  I like Xavier Tillman at 30 but if MSU makes a deep run he may go early 20s.   I like that there are good options deep in the draft so if we trade some of the picks we can still get a player.

« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2020, 12:11:49 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
From a talent perspective I see this draft a lot like the 2013 draft, it's going to be hard to find the stars.  I see solid rotational players as deep as the second round but the trick is to find them too as so many players look alike.  There aren’t many standouts.   We are in a win now mode and have a full roster.  We can’t draft 4 projects. We need guys who can play right away, but we should still take a swing for a star.  I can get behind taking a project pick if we counterbalanced with a safe pick.

I like these guyse as swing for the fences high risk high reward players.

Aleksej Pokusevski and Jalen Smith.   Like Giannis Antetokounmpo and Rudy Gobert  they just need to gain weight.   Giannis Antetokounmpo gained like 50 lbs and Rudy Gobert gained like 20 lbs.  They needed time to develop more physically.   Neither of them looked like stars as rookies.  If these guys can just gain 20 lbs of muscle like Gobert, their defense and post games will get so much better.  And the added strength will reduce turnovers.  If they can pull a Giannis  and gain even more weight, say 30 to 40lbs they will be beasts without any change to the skills they have right now,  Just getting stronger.  Every year there are players that need to get stronger and can't do it, so there is no reason to believe these two will make that cut, but if they do they will be stars. 

Precious Achiuwa, Patrick Williams, and Isaiah Stewart.  Like Jimmy Butler these guys have that grown man body already but they need to refine elements of their game.  They need to make things happen that involve improving in skills areas and overall BBIQ.  Also, Achiuwa and Stewart really need to develop their shot.  Again, every year there are players that just need to figure it out mentally and then they will be stars.  We are going into year three of Rob Williams trying to figure it out. Like these guys Timelorad has all the physical tools, he just hasn’t put it together enough to even earn serious rotation minutes.  Now he has had many injury setbacks but still he’s not where he needs to be.  I don’t know if these guys can make it mentaly but they are already there physically with their strength and their athleticism.

I think of all of these I like Pokusevski and Smith the most.   Picking them is betting on the weight trainers to do their thing and get these guys strong.   Pokusevski is 18 so he has the best chance to get much stronger but Smith showed signs of developing physically between freshman and sophomore year, and he’s still only 20.  However, I could see Danny going with the physically ready guys and hoping Brad can coach them up.  I think all these guys will be available at 17 and some will still be there at 26 so maybe he can get two of them.

I like these guys as safe bets to be able to be rotation guys in the NBA but without star potential. 

Xavier Tillman, Saddiq Bey, Payton Pritchard, and Cassius Winston.  I like Tillman at pick 30 and Pritchard at pick 46.  I think Bey may need to be taken at 17 if we are going to get him, but he is all over the draft boards from late lotery to second round.  Tillman has really gotten a lot of praise from Coach Izzo and not like he has talked up other guys.  He really talks tillman up differently, really a lot like he talked up Draymond.   The guys defense is spot on and that’s what we need most from a Big.  Plus he can facilitate as well, which Brad likes his bigs to do.  Pritchard and Winston are just solid,  Nothing overly special about them but just solid. They are like Jaylen Brunson, and just what we need from a third ball handler behind Kemba and Smart.   Bey has a grown man's body and a solid feel for the game.  He is well coached coming from Villanova. 

Given the apparent parody of the players after the top few, I think we need to draft for need but swing for the fences with the first two picks and play it safe with the second two.

#17 - PF - Aleksej Pokusevski or Precious Achiuwa,
#26 - C - Jalen Smith or Isaiah Stewart.
#30 - C - Xavier Tillman
#46 - PG - Payton Pritchard or Cassius Winston

« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Mannion Williams smith...

« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2020, 05:14:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Right now I like

Hayes highlight

Hughes highlight

Achiuwa highlight

Kevin O'Connor has Hayes ranked Number 1 on his draft board!

I doubt he will go first, but it is unlikely he falls out of top 10.

Yeah it is wishful thinking he drops to 17

His feel for game/scoring ability looks good

« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2020, 04:17:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Thoughts on Aleksej Pokuševski? His skillset is really unique imo, we could deploy him in a defensive role akin to Porzingis on the Mavericks (rim protector with high DIQ + some mobility on the perimeter) and have him provide fantastic additive value to our offence with high level shooting, ballhandling and passing (not just ball dominant passing, but extra passing as well) as a 7 foot combo forward who would give opposing big men nightmares. Obviously he's more of a project pick due to his young age, but that's what I envision him in our system if he develops.

Scouting report on him: https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/06/2020-international-guide-curious-case-aleksej-pokusevski/
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA