Author Topic: Is MJ top 3 of all time.  (Read 10108 times)

Re: Is MJ top 3 of all time.
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
It's always hard to compare players of different eras, mainly because new fans to the game dont know the other eras well enough. I must confess that my basketball viewing began in the mid 80's and I will say that I think that was probably the best basketball I have seen to date.

That though is not taking anything away from MJ. The guy is the best that I have seen, hands down. I loved Larry, Magic, and even Shaq but they were not as good as MJ was. You could certainly make a good case for all of them but I still give the nod to MJ. As far as all time top 3, I will have to defer that opinion to those bloggers who saw Chamberlain, Russ, & Oscar play because they can give a more accurate portrayal. My dad, a good athlete in his own right, once said that if Shaq could jump 30 inches then Wilt could jump 50. When Wilt died, the USA Today paper had a writeup on him and said he could jump like 52 inches. Who knows, but I know that MJ is the best player I have seen play to date.
I agree with everything you said.  

I think it would be a better argument about Bill Russell being a top three player.  I think the majority of people agree that Jordan is top three, or the best ever.  Personally, I wouldn't even have Russell in the top 10.  He was great defensively, but would he win 11 out of 13 titles in today's NBA?  I really doubt it.  He would be totally undersized.  He would be an undersized power forward and couldn't even play most centers.  Wilt had just as crazy numbers against Russell.  And he should because he was four inches taller.  I never did see him play though so it's hard to make a good judgement.

My top ten, based on stats and impact on the game:
1: Jordan (dominant but took NBA to next level)
2: Wilt (numbers were unreal, could be tied for #1
3: Kareem (unstoppable shot)
4: Shaq (in his early years still unstoppable against HOFers Ewing, Robinson, Olajuwon & usually won head to head vs Duncan)
5&6:  Bird and Magic (I like having them tied- most fun offensive team players to watch- put NBA on the map)
7:  Olajuwon (offense, defense, inside outside, no real weakness)
8:  The Big O (averaged a triple double- I never saw him play)
9:  Kobe (I hate him but he's not much worse than MJ)
10:  Lebron (he's probably already as good as most of these guys, he just hasn't had the team success yet, he will probably get better- which sucks for C's fans)

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
It's always hard to compare players of different eras, mainly because new fans to the game dont know the other eras well enough. I must confess that my basketball viewing began in the mid 80's and I will say that I think that was probably the best basketball I have seen to date.

That though is not taking anything away from MJ. The guy is the best that I have seen, hands down. I loved Larry, Magic, and even Shaq but they were not as good as MJ was. You could certainly make a good case for all of them but I still give the nod to MJ. As far as all time top 3, I will have to defer that opinion to those bloggers who saw Chamberlain, Russ, & Oscar play because they can give a more accurate portrayal. My dad, a good athlete in his own right, once said that if Shaq could jump 30 inches then Wilt could jump 50. When Wilt died, the USA Today paper had a writeup on him and said he could jump like 52 inches. Who knows, but I know that MJ is the best player I have seen play to date.
I agree with everything you said.  

I think it would be a better argument about Bill Russell being a top three player.  I think the majority of people agree that Jordan is top three, or the best ever.  Personally, I wouldn't even have Russell in the top 10.  He was great defensively, but would he win 11 out of 13 titles in today's NBA?  I really doubt it.  He would be totally undersized.  He would be an undersized power forward and couldn't even play most centers.  Wilt had just as crazy numbers against Russell.  And he should because he was four inches taller.  I never did see him play though so it's hard to make a good judgement.

My top ten, based on stats and impact on the game:
1: Jordan (dominant but took NBA to next level)
2: Wilt (numbers were unreal, could be tied for #1
3: Kareem (unstoppable shot)
4: Shaq (in his early years still unstoppable against HOFers Ewing, Robinson, Olajuwon & usually won head to head vs Duncan)
5&6:  Bird and Magic (I like having them tied- most fun offensive team players to watch- put NBA on the map)
7:  Olajuwon (offense, defense, inside outside, no real weakness)
8:  The Big O (averaged a triple double- I never saw him play)
9:  Kobe (I hate him but he's not much worse than MJ)
10:  Lebron (he's probably already as good as most of these guys, he just hasn't had the team success yet, he will probably get better- which sucks for C's fans)

Do you have fire proof clothing on? Because you might get flamed. ;)

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

Greatest all-around individual player: Jordan

Greatest all-around team player: Oscar Robertson, in a squeaker over Jordan, Magic, and Bird

How can all-around individual player and all-around team player be different lists in a team sport like basketball?

Jordan is a legit choice for greatest ever, but what is a joke is acting like it's not a squeaker over Magic/Bird/etc - especially on a Celtics board.

Well, I define it as:

Individual player - can you outplay the guy across from you no matter who he is, are you the best, most individually dominant player on the court no matter who your teammates are?

Team player - do you make the players around you better and help the team achieve its goals even if you're not the one directly making the plays?

Guys like Dominique Wilkins and David Thompson would be far greater individual players than team players.  Guys like Bill Russell and KG are better team players than individual players, though not by the same margin.  To take a more low-level example, Gerald Green is a significantly better individual player than Bruce Bowen ever was, but Bruce is better by a much greater margin as a team player.  Just how I distinguish the two.

And I don't think being a Celtics fan or on a Celtics board obligates you to not even try to be objective.  Bias will always find its way through one way or another, but there's nothing wrong with at least making an effort to think clearly about the question.  I think Bird would have a better case to compete with Jordan if he'd had more longevity, but as it is, he's just not there.
That is a great insight into player types.  This should be put into a basketball encyclopedia.  The Bruce Bowen/Gerald Green comparison is the perfect example of your definitions.

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ok so you guys are saying if you're starting an all-time team MJ is your top choice?

Yes.

You're also saying that if you trade MJ for Bill Russell or even Bird for that matter MJ's new team gets better and the other guy's gets worse?

Maybe, it depends which player MJ and Russell/Bird is replacing on the new team, and which player is replacing them.  All else being equal, yes.

You're saying MJ's Bulls beat the 80's Celts, Lakers, and Pistons.  

No - I'm saying if you give MJ the same supporting cast as the other individuals in the discussion, the team will more often than not be better.  There may be some variability here as some great teams already had excellent SGs, so the upgrade from the original SG to MJ might not be as big as the downgrade from Larry/Magic/whoever to whoever would take their spot.  But overall, he's better.

Yeah I don't see it. He couldn't shoot that great the first half of his career. It took about 8 years for his teams to get good, whereas Magic's and Larry's became championship caliber almost immediately and I think even Kareem's Bucks.

Larry did turn the team around, but the Lakers were already good when Magic got there (47-35 and lost in the conference semis the year before) - they got that pick from I think Utah in an earlier trade.  Jordan started with a horrible supporting cast (27-55 the year before) and was a much more selfish player earlier in his career (partly why I call him the best individual and not the best team player ever).  He didn't turn around the team like Larry did but did immediately make them a playoff team that improved every year he was there until they were winning titles.

Rodman was basically the greatest rebounder ever and the only guy I ever saw that stopped Shaq straight up and he just happened to be on MJ's last three teams with the Bulls.

Rodman was the greatest modern rebounder ever, but put his numbers up against Russell or Wilt's and it's not even close.  And Jordan won 3 titles before he got there, and might've had more if not for Retirement #1.  Jordan is the only all-time great to win multiple titles without a dominant big.

Bill Russell is like 27-0 in win or go home games with more rings. Doesn't that automatically make MJ #2 at least?  

No, it makes Bill the greatest winner of all-time (and Bill's teams lost 2 elimination games, so I don't think that stat is right). 

Russell also won his titles in an 8-14 team league, and Jordan won his with ~27.  I love Bill, but he had a greater team than MJ around him in a much smaller league.  Bill won with Cousy, Sharman, Havlicek, Tommy, KC, etc etc, and MJ won with Pippen, a Hall of Very Good PF (Grant/Rodman) some undersized spot shooter PGs, a series of interchangeable below-average centers, and, except for Kukoc in the 2nd 3peat, some of the worst benches in championship history.

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595

What about Ben Wallace?  Even more undersized than Russell, yet in his prime he was a force.  Got MVP votes too (I think).  If Ben Wallace could be a perenniel All-Star and MVP candiate in today's NBA, why not Russell.  And if Russell played in today's NBA he'd probably be listed at 6'11".

Did Wilt put up crazy numbers against Russell?  I know he didn't put up wins thats for sure.  Anybody know of a spot where we can check head to head stats?  I'd actually love to see them.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

What about Ben Wallace?  Even more undersized than Russell, yet in his prime he was a force.  Got MVP votes too (I think).  If Ben Wallace could be a perenniel All-Star and MVP candiate in today's NBA, why not Russell.  And if Russell played in today's NBA he'd probably be listed at 6'11".

Did Wilt put up crazy numbers against Russell?  I know he didn't put up wins thats for sure.  Anybody know of a spot where we can check head to head stats?  I'd actually love to see them.
But Ben Wallace never carried a team or could.  He needed a bunch of offensive players with him, like Billups, Hamilton and Rasheed.  If you switched Wilt and Russell do you think Wilt would have won more and Russell won less?

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595

But Ben Wallace never carried a team or could.  He needed a bunch of offensive players with him, like Billups, Hamilton and Rasheed.  If you switched Wilt and Russell do you think Wilt would have won more and Russell won less?

I think individually Wilt on the Celtics has more wins that Wilt in the Warriors/Sixers.  But Wilt on the Celtics doesn't have more wins than Russell on the Celtics.

What I'm saying is, there are still very successful undersized players in today's NBA. 
He would be totally undersized.  He would be an undersized power forward and couldn't even play most centers.
  Why can Ben Wallace (and Big Baby and Leon Powe) go up against much bigger guys in today's NBA, but not Bill Russell?  You're saying Russell is undersized so he wouldn't be good today, but there are still undersized guys in today's NBA!  Just don't throw Russell out (and everything he accomplished) because you think he'd be undersized.  We can also say Oscar wouldn't average a triple double today, or Wilt wouldn't put up 50/25 today either, so maybe we should throw them out too.

Don't know about 11 for 13 on rings, but he'd be at least a 10X All Star and have multiple rings and have been an MVP canidiate for a good portion of his career.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I think that Russell and MJ are the two best all time.  They won.  There are lots of other great players. Elgin Baylor is certainly in my top ten; so are Chamberlain and Jabbar. Bird. Magic. Oscar. But no one produced cahmpionships like those two.

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Russell was 6ft10, same size as Hakeem who was a great center. Taller than Ben Wallace.

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Russell was 6ft10, same size as Hakeem who was a great center. Taller than Ben Wallace.

though in different eras, I'd be willing to wager the average height during Rus's time was smaller than Hakeem/Wallace's
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

I think individually Wilt on the Celtics has more wins that Wilt in the Warriors/Sixers.  But Wilt on the Celtics doesn't have more wins than Russell on the Celtics.

What I'm saying is, there are still very successful undersized players in today's NBA. 
He would be totally undersized.  He would be an undersized power forward and couldn't even play most centers.
  Why can Ben Wallace (and Big Baby and Leon Powe) go up against much bigger guys in today's NBA, but not Bill Russell?  You're saying Russell is undersized so he wouldn't be good today, but there are still undersized guys in today's NBA!  Just don't throw Russell out (and everything he accomplished) because you think he'd be undersized.  We can also say Oscar wouldn't average a triple double today, or Wilt wouldn't put up 50/25 today either, so maybe we should throw them out too.

Don't know about 11 for 13 on rings, but he'd be at least a 10X All Star and have multiple rings and have been an MVP canidiate for a good portion of his career.
I'm not saying he'd be bad, I just don't thinkg he would be considered as dominant as he was in the fifties against inferior athletes.  David Robinson would have probabaly put up top ten type of numbers in the 1950s, but because he played in the 90s he "only" put up hall of fame numbers.  Put Clyde Drexler, Barkley or Pippen in that era and they would have been physically dominating too.

If I was starting a team right now I'd rather have McHale or Garnett in their prime over Russell, and I didn't even have either of them in my top ten.  I just like how they are two dimentional players.  I think Russell was a low 40% career shooter.  I know he won titles but Robert Horry has more titles than Larry Bird.  Does that make him better?  No, he was just on good teams at the rigt time.

Sorry if I turned this into a Bill Russell thread instead of MJ.  

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 06:45:34 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

though in different eras, I'd be willing to wager the average height during Rus's time was smaller than Hakeem/Wallace's
Plus Hakeem was the center of the team's offense, averaged 20 plus points per game and shot over 50% most of the time.  He was more skilled offensively.

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 07:04:10 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
To answer the original question from this forum, yes MJ is in the top 3 of all time, and he is at the top of that list. Also, basketball in the early 90's had great players and competition. Dream Team anybody?

I really don't see how the question could even be asked if MJ is in the top 3. We all have our favorite players, but at some point we have to use our brain over out heart. Was MJ on the best team/dynasty? Thats a different story. Pippen was an excellent player who hated the fact that he was playing in the shadow of MJ but did it anyways. Rodman was just insane on defense. Kerr could drain the 3. I don't think MJ could win without those players, but I don't think anybody can do it alone.

For those of you who say Kobe did it alone, you should think twice because Pau Gasol is an allstar player who doesn't get much credit. Odom has his great moments, and Ariza was awesome in the playoffs too.

I think Jordan was the best at what he did and impacted the game more than any player

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
This thread shouldn't even exist... There is no question MJ is top 3 all time... Him and Russell are the two best players ever to play the game of Basketball!!!!!!!!!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Old timers, what was this topic like pre- Jordan? Was Russell the consensus #1?