Author Topic: If Hayward Opts Out...  (Read 2710 times)

If Hayward Opts Out...
« on: February 02, 2020, 06:40:15 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
This is a weak free agency whereas 2021 will be loaded, so it definitely makes sense for Hayward to opt out so he can secure a  big, long contract with greater security, even if it means earning far fewer dollars in 2020-2021. As such, I predict he will opt out. If he does, what kind of odds would you put on us getting him for $125 million over 5 years with a player option on the 5th year?

Re: If Hayward Opts Out...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. I don't think Hayward would be eligible for a 5 year contract.

2. Even if he is, why would the Celtics sign him for 5 years when they wouldn't give Brown 5 years?

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 07:02:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Agree with Nick, but I think we’ll try and keep him. Aim for something similar to Horford’s contract, but Hayward is younger and has a game (especially defensively) less predicated on athleticism.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 07:07:51 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
If he’s not eligible for 5 years, $100 mil over 4 years with player option?

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think he would be eligible for the 5 year max. I’m not sure Hayward can get 5 year deal for less than max..
We didn’t give jaylen 5 years not because Danny didn’t want to but because we could only give brown one type of 5 year deal - the max and that was a no brainer for Danny

even though maybe should have given him the 5 yr max given how brown has performed

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 07:56:56 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This is a weak free agency whereas 2021 will be loaded, so it definitely makes sense for Hayward to opt out so he can secure a  big, long contract with greater security, even if it means earning far fewer dollars in 2020-2021. As such, I predict he will opt out. If he does, what kind of odds would you put on us getting him for $125 million over 5 years with a player option on the 5th year?

Besides 2020 free agency being weak and 2021 being loaded, I disagree with just about everything else here.

It would be better for Hayward to opt in, because it's a weak free agent class this year and strong next year.

2020, only a few teams will have cap room.  None of them are desirable as far as I know.  A 30 year old All-Star caliber player isn't going to want to uproot his family and play for a rebuilding team like the Hawks.

In 2021, when more teams will have cap room, there could be a lot of good situations for Hayward to go to.  Think of it like if you were a free agent this past summer.  You could have signed with IND, UTA, LAC, MIA, BRK, BOS, PHI, GS etc.  You could team choose to join an existing contender or team up with other superstars and make your own.  That's what 2021 might be like.

As much as we love Kemba now, he was probably plan C or D for the Celtics. (Plan A being trade for AD, Plan B being re-sign Al and Kyrie, etc.).

Horford was probably plan C or D for Philly, (Plan A and B was probably sign Kawhi or Durant, Plan C might have been to bring back Butler, etc.)

I doubt D'Angelo Russell was Plan A for the Warriors.

Danny Green was probably Plan M for the Lakers.

Julius Randle was probably Plan Z for the Knicks...

This is why you want to be a free agent when a lot of teams have money.  You can get your money and go to a good situation. 

Opting out if his goal is to re-sign a long term deal in Boston makes sense.  But opting out thinking there will be a huge market of desirable locations that will bid up your price doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:05:21 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

2. Even if he is, why would the Celtics sign him for 5 years when they wouldn't give Brown 5 years?

1. We'll have his bird rights at the end of the year, so he's eligible for 5 years and the 8% raises

2. We couldn't give Brown 5 years because it was a rookie extension, and you can only have 5 years on a rookie extension if it's a max
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 11:46:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

1. We'll have his bird rights at the end of the year, so he's eligible for 5 years and the 8% raises

2. We couldn't give Brown 5 years because it was a rookie extension, and you can only have 5 years on a rookie extension if it's a max

Sure, but just because Hayward is eligible for 5 years doesn't mean he's getting five years. Especially because the Cs would be the only team that could offer five years theres no reason they would have to go there.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Sure, but just because Hayward is eligible for 5 years doesn't mean he's getting five years. Especially because the Cs would be the only team that could offer five years theres no reason they would have to go there.

I'm not saying whether we will or won't, just pointing out that nick's two points are incorrect.

For the record, I think he either opts in or opts out and signs a 3 or 4 year deal
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm not saying whether we will or won't, just pointing out that nick's two points are incorrect.

For the record, I think he either opts in or opts out and signs a 3 or 4 year deal
Technically they could have given Brown a 5 year deal, just at the max. So technically I am not incorrect about that.

But that wouldn't have been smart. Well it's not smart giving Hayward a 5 year deal either and if Danny was giving one of them a five year deal, it probably would be Brown at the overpay before Hayward.