Author Topic: Brandon Clarke  (Read 5132 times)

Re: Brandon Clarke
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
The real loss may have been when Pat Riley took Tyler Herro one oick before us at 13

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
I had enough of the T-Rex arm complaining while Kelly Olynyk played here to last a lifetime. No thanks on Clarke or Herro.

Clarke blossomed this past year after Gonzaga lost their center to injury, otherwise he was option number 3-4 on that team. With his athleticism he isn’t to short to play PF, but he’s underweight. G-Will had a longer track record for being a stud in college and he has the weight and strength to bang that Clarke lacks.

Carsen is as good or better than Herro at shooting, plus he can move his feet and create his own shot.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I don't see Clarke as being worthy of being upset. He's only 6'8" and is not strong, and has a very short wingspan. He's also not a strong shooter.

I think dominating Summer League is hardly any indicator of future NBA success. Sure it is fun to get over-excited about a prospect, but it's not really worth anything.

Also, is the "small guard who can't shoot" you're referring to Edwards? Because if so, that is a woefully wrong assessment of his shooting talent. Unless you mean Langford, who is 6'6 with a 6'11 wingspan and weighs in at 215lbs. That is prototypical size for a shooting guard.

You guys fail to mention he's a superfreak athlete!

Hes a better overall athlete than Zion IMO. And Zion might get fat soon. Clarke has the body that never gets fat like Kemba.

Fantastic starter not w star for a decade. Big whiff from Danny.

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 02:08:25 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I don't see Clarke as being worthy of being upset. He's only 6'8" and is not strong, and has a very short wingspan. He's also not a strong shooter.

I think dominating Summer League is hardly any indicator of future NBA success. Sure it is fun to get over-excited about a prospect, but it's not really worth anything.

Also, is the "small guard who can't shoot" you're referring to Edwards? Because if so, that is a woefully wrong assessment of his shooting talent. Unless you mean Langford, who is 6'6 with a 6'11 wingspan and weighs in at 215lbs. That is prototypical size for a shooting guard.

Hes a better overall athlete than Zion IMO. And Zion might get fat soon. Clarke has the body that never gets fat like Kemba.

Well... He averaged .267 from 3% at Gonzaga and wasn't a great free throw shooter.  Yes, it's scary that he tooled on Taco/Williams/and Williams in the summer league tournament but that might be more of an indictment of the forwards that participate in Summer League (remember Ante Zizic and Kelly Olynyk were both SL stars) than it is an endorsement of Clarke's NBA potential.  He does get a ton of blocks though... 

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Edwards had a better summer league than Clarke.

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Not according to the tournament MVP voters.

Carsen was great tho

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 04:59:04 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Carsen was great tho

Isn't that just because Memphis won it? Often voters/panels feel compelled to choose a player from the winning team for such awards.

According to the stats Clarke had good games against the Celtics, but I wasn't that impressed. Robert Williams and Carsen Edwards were at least as good in my book.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Repeat over and over and over again: it's only summer league, it's only summer league, it's only summer league.

Seems like everyone always likes the player(s) Ainge doesn't draft, and then there's always the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the franchise savior who got away.

I like GWill just fine over Clarke. Who knows about Langford.

I guess that's my point: we don't know about Langford.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Look at the stats,  that was a con job there were also guys who did better than Carsen who deserved it more.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 05:26:56 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I don't think Brandon Clarke is going to be much at the NBA level. I'm not even sure he's even an NBA roll player. And I'm basing that in part on what I saw in those two summer league games.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 05:31:30 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I know people have mentioned this already, but it's too easy to overlook players' ages.

What will Romeo Langford be in three years? Because at that point, he'll be about the same age as Clarke is now.

Similarly: What do you think Jaylen Brown will look like in four years, when he's 26 and in the prime of his career? Because at that point, he'll be the same age as Buddy Hield is now (assuming that Hield's birthdate is accurate).

You get the point. Don't compare players at different ages, just because they were drafted in the same year.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 06:00:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Thinking that passing Clarke was a mistake isn’t necessarily wrong, but thinking his summer league performance validates that opinion to any material level is.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 07:27:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It might be your opinion, but it’s a very lonely one. In fact, I don’t think anything backs it up. He can’t jump as high nor as quickly, he’s massively weaker than Zion, he’s slower and I don’t think his reflexes are better.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 08:06:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I wish Danny drafted Clarke and Grant Williams

Clarke is like Jordan Bell but with a higher bbiq

Clarke issue is, once he loses his leaping ability.... he won't be very good (shorter career)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:38:49 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 09:40:00 PM »

Offline Ty_Unabi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I like Langford for two reasons.
1. His size and potential.
2. After his thumb injury, he could have easily shut it down and could have been a top 5 selection.

Why not take a chance? There is a small chance they hit a home run.

Ty