Author Topic: Brandon Clarke  (Read 5215 times)

Brandon Clarke
« on: July 16, 2019, 01:58:41 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it !!

I sat there on draft night watching Danny with the four draft picks and waited for him to take Brandon Clarke from Gonzaga to help fill our need for interior players. Clarke is a 6-8 power forward, mature, smart player, athletic and just finished the NBA Summer League as MVP in Vegas - he had 14+ rebounds in each game of the tournament that the Grizzlies summer team just won.

Instead, we draft another small guard who can't shoot and a power forward who is a nice player, but is probably too small to ultimately help us. What is this absolute love affair Ainge and Stevens have with perimeter players ? Yeah, I know the game has changed since the 80's, but the good teams all have quality interior players. The Celts lost their two post starters and Clarke is there for the taking with both of our 1st round picks and we draft players too small to succeed when the real games start.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:18:57 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: Brandon Clarke
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 02:56:29 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
You talk as if Brandon Clarke is some giant of a big man. What he's actually is a low-ceiling tweener with t-rex arms and no perimeter game. His potential is a career role player. Would rather swing for the fences on Romeo's potential. If we wanted a big man, any other big man projected in the first round would have been better anyways.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 03:09:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't see Clarke as being worthy of being upset. He's only 6'8" and is not strong, and has a very short wingspan. He's also not a strong shooter.

I think dominating Summer League is hardly any indicator of future NBA success. Sure it is fun to get over-excited about a prospect, but it's not really worth anything.

Also, is the "small guard who can't shoot" you're referring to Edwards? Because if so, that is a woefully wrong assessment of his shooting talent. Unless you mean Langford, who is 6'6 with a 6'11 wingspan and weighs in at 215lbs. That is prototypical size for a shooting guard.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 03:19:08 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I don't see Clarke as being worthy of being upset. He's only 6'8" and is not strong, and has a very short wingspan. He's also not a strong shooter.

I think dominating Summer League is hardly any indicator of future NBA success. Sure it is fun to get over-excited about a prospect, but it's not really worth anything.

Also, is the "small guard who can't shoot" you're referring to Edwards? Because if so, that is a woefully wrong assessment of his shooting talent. Unless you mean Langford, who is 6'6 with a 6'11 wingspan and weighs in at 215lbs. That is prototypical size for a shooting guard.
I think people underestimate how important wingspan is for an NBA player, especially on defense. You don't play defense with the top of your head, after all. Grant Williams may be shorter then Clarke by a couple of inches, give or take, but he has a longer wingspan (and a much stronger base), which I think will let hin play just as big as Clarke can.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:55:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think people underestimate how important wingspan is for an NBA player, especially on defense. You don't play defense with the top of your head, after all. Grant Williams may be shorter then Clarke by a couple of inches, give or take, but he has a longer wingspan (and a much stronger base), which I think will let hin play just as big as Clarke can.
Yeah, and especially when they're short for their position anyway. I think he can do well in the right situation, but he'll struggle with some match-ups

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:15 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They kind of got burned when Grizz traded up if you believe reports. They would of got Clarke right where they planned to if not for that move by Grizz.

Bazley is the guy to say they missed on if it so happens he ends up better than GW.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 05:15:37 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I like Clarke too, and I think if his 3-point shot holds up Memphis is going to be very happy with him. He has Rob Williams-level hops, but vastly superior instincts and timing, which help compensate for his arms, and throughout college he had an excellent midrange jump shot. If he becomes a good three point shooter he could be a very very good stretch four, possibly a wing in a long lineup. He makes a lot of sense on Memphis next to JJJ.

That said, who is the short guard who can’t shoot? Langford has shooting problems in college but he isn’t short; he has above average length for a 2-guard at 6’6” and 6’11”. His hand injury is well documented, so I’m not making a judgment on his shooting til he heals. Carsten Edwards was a college career 37% shooter on more than 7 attempts per game; in SL he was above 40% from 3, shooting every kind of 3 - off a screen, off the bounce, standing catch and shoot. We got Edwards by passing on Clarke.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:30:11 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 06:50:16 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Too small a sample size.

He's same size as Williams who I agree is undersized but so isn't Clarke
ok fine

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 06:51:18 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Meh, didn't impress me.  Very happy with Grant.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
You're making the wrong comp and looking at moves in isolation... we didn't draft Langford over Clarke because we prefer him. We drafted Langford because we preferred Poirier over Clarke and needed a young wing to groom in case Smart, Hayward or Brown is moved next year

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 07:36:25 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

I think people overestimate wingspan.  When people are evaluating prospects, it is one of the 1st things they look at.  Having a long wingspan doesn't mean you'll be a good defender.  You play defense with your feet and your mind first. 

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 07:42:23 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
double post.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 07:50:00 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 07:45:06 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Too small a sample size.

Williams actually measured 6'10 in shoes with an enormous 7'5.5" wingspan whereas Clarke measured 6'8.25 in shoes with a 6'8.25" wingspan. While the height difference isn't staggering, the arm length is. Williams even though he is slightly undersized for a center, has a standing reach comparable with the non Embiid's of todays game. Unfortunately for Clarke, his physical profile is much more similar to a Shawn Marion, except Shawn Marion had much longer arms.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I just realized you are talking about Grant Williams. Williams is actually a bit smaller than Clarke. He is 6'7.5" with a 6'9.5" wingspan. The big difference is that he weighed in at 240 in comparison to Clarke's 207. You can see the huge difference with Clarke's verticality compared to Grants elite strength.

The crazy comparison is Timelord vs Clarke. You can argue they are similar level jumpers in their ability to load up quickly and get off the floor with incredible height. The big difference is that Timelord is bigger as listed above, and he is also listed at 240, making him 33 pounds heavier than Clarke.

Edit 2: Yeah Gouki I was correcting myself as you posted that haha.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 07:48:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Too small a sample size.

Williams actually measured 6'10 in shoes with a 7'5.5" wingspan whereas Clarke measured 6'8.25 in shoes with a 6'8.25" wingspan. While the height difference isn't staggering, the arm length is. Williams even though he is slightly undersized for a center, has a standing reach comparable with the non Embiid's of todays game. Unfortunately for Clarke, his physical profile is much more similar to a Shawn Marion, except Shawn Marion had much longer arms.
I think he might have meant Grant Williams?

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 08:07:24 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I think people overestimate wingspan.  When people are evaluating prospects, it is one of the 1st things they look at.  Having a long wingspan doesn't mean you'll be a good defender.  You play defense with your feet and your mind first.

Sure, for people who already have decent feet and and good defensive mind, you look at their wingspan. No one said wingspan is better than having good defensive awareness and agility, but rather wingspan is a better indicator than height, esp if the difference in height isn't great and if they are on the shorter side anyway.