Author Topic: Writing is on the Wall: Win It All, or Daryl Morey and Gregg Popovich in 2021  (Read 6015 times)

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Calling it right now: If we fail to make the 2021 NBA Finals, perhaps even if we make it but lose to the Lakers, Ainge and Stevens will be replaced with Daryl Morey and Gregg Popovich.

Morey is taking a sabbatical year off because he knows the Rockets are spent. Pop will do another year with the Spurs, barely make the playoffs or miss out again; either way, he won’t let his career end in a whimper with the Spurs and will negotiate a final-year buy-out.

Bet anything Wyc already has this lined up in the event we get more of the same of the last five years.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:38:33 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Ainge and CBS should be on the hot seat. Lakers have won three championships since the Cs last championship. Ainge needs to do better than winning trades.

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Wanna bet on it? Because I'm pretty confident I'll win.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Ainge and CBS should be on the hot seat. Lakers have won three championships since the Cs last championship. Ainge needs to do better than winning trades.

Yep. It’s utterly confusing to me why some people are happy with us being the Hawks of the early/mid-2010s. I, for one, don’t care about winning trades if they do not lead to winning championships.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
what a royal hot take.

2 of those Laker titles were 2009 and 2010.  2009 when KG was injured as we were tearing up the league and 2010 .  no injury - highly likely C's repeat the title.  2010, no injury to Perk in the finals and we likely win that title as well.  Not faulting Ainge for KG's injury
The other Laker title was this year in a screwy bubble environment when we had 4 all-star level players when healthy and we ended up still getting to the conference finals with an injured Hayward and what appears to be a less-than-100% Kemba.  I'm not going to fault Ainge for 4 all-star players in very recent years starting with Horford, Hayward, Irving and Kemba.  Making some terrific draft picks in Tatum, Brown and Smart to go with those moves.  Let's not forget obtaining a second string point guard and having him blow up into an almost unstoppable force on offense until injuring his hip (IT).

yeah, Danny sucks.  Brad sucks.  let's dump them.   ::)

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
what a royal hot take.

2 of those Laker titles were 2009 and 2010.  2009 when KG was injured as we were tearing up the league and 2010 .  no injury - highly likely C's repeat the title.  2010, no injury to Perk in the finals and we likely win that title as well.  Not faulting Ainge for KG's injury
The other Laker title was this year in a screwy bubble environment when we had 4 all-star level players when healthy and we ended up still getting to the conference finals with an injured Hayward and what appears to be a less-than-100% Kemba.  I'm not going to fault Ainge for 4 all-star players in very recent years starting with Horford, Hayward, Irving and Kemba.  Making some terrific draft picks in Tatum, Brown and Smart to go with those moves.  Let's not forget obtaining a second string point guard and having him blow up into an almost unstoppable force on offense until injuring his hip (IT).

yeah, Danny sucks.  Brad sucks.  let's dump them.   ::)

If we can get Morey and Pop, of course we replace them if they don’t win it all after, what, this 7-8 year rebuild?

Definitely do it if the Lakers surpass us for 18 first. Can’t believe these young kids who don’t realize how big of a deal that is.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:45:14 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Remind me, how many titles does Morey have?  Trips to the Finals?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

As many as Ainge the past nine years. Pop has five times as many championships as Ainge and three times as many trips to the Finals.

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
An easier way to win more titles is to just move the franchise to a city like Miami or Los Angeles. See, problem solved. I'm a genius.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

As many as Ainge the past nine years. Pop has five times as many championships as Ainge and three times as many trips to the Finals.

Popovich and Morey are in vastly different categories.

Morey’s teams have made it to the conference finals twice.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Popovich and Morey are in vastly different categories.

Morey’s teams have made it to the conference finals twice.

Morey and Pop will tagteam GM so Pop can focus on coaching his final 3-7 years of his career.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Erm, no
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Calling it right now: If we fail to make the 2021 NBA Finals, perhaps even if we make it but lose to the Lakers, Ainge and Stevens will be replaced with Daryl Morey and Gregg Popovich.

Morey is taking a sabbatical year off because he knows the Rockets are spent. Pop will do another year with the Spurs, barely make the playoffs or miss out again; either way, he won’t let his career end in a whimper with the Spurs and will negotiate a final-year buy-out.

Bet anything Wyc already has this lined up in the event we get more of the same of the last five years.

I think it's safe to say even at this early stage that this hot take will not age well. :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
What makes you think Pops will leave SA for us? Sure, he likes Jaylen and Jayson but the identity of the Spurs organization was built up by him. He ain't no mercenary like Riley or Jackson. He will likely to retire than go coaching another team.

If Brad don't work, I would go call Larry Bird for coaching instead.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What makes you think Pops will leave SA for us? Sure, he likes Jaylen and Jayson but the identity of the Spurs organization was built up by him. He ain't no mercenary like Riley or Jackson. He will likely to retire than go coaching another team.

If Brad don't work, I would go call Larry Bird for coaching instead.
Man, I would love to see Bird come out of coaching retirement. I doubt he has one iota of interest in it, but there is always a place for him. 69% winning percentage is pretty darn solid
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)