Author Topic: Could 2020-21 be Celtics ‘Golden State’ upgrade year?  (Read 1086 times)

Could 2020-21 be Celtics ‘Golden State’ upgrade year?
« on: October 16, 2020, 01:15:29 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
By this title I mean after Golden State had a championship level (winning in this case) team but had the chance to upgrade to all time level by dumping staples of the team in Bogut and Barnes to sign Durant and I wonder if the 2020-21 season could be the same for us if Ainge and his staff have a sniff that Giannis would be interested in the Celtics.

At the moment we have a contender level team essentially capped out but in actuality coming into the 2021 offseason we will have Tatum as a restricted free agent and with Hayward will off the books the only stumbling block to create space for Giannis is Kemba. Given Ainge’s reputation as someone who would trade his own grandmother he’d have to move Kemba to his preference of contender but given that GSW dumped Barnes to Dallas and it hasn’t affected their reputation it might not be an issue for Ainge.

Is a core of Giannis, Tatum, Brown, Smart possible in your eyes? Could we have a GSW type run with that team?

Re: Could 2020-21 be Celtics ‘Golden State’ upgrade year?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I feel like anything is possible but Ainge will play the long game somewhat . #1 locking in Tatum and then I think we know Jaylen is either a #2 or definitely a #3 in a team that could enter a year as favorites or say top 2 team. I feel like if EVERYTHING went healthy we did ya e the team to potentially knock off the Lakers.
  Without the stops and starts of Hayward’s injuries and in a perfect world a healthier hip from Rob Williams and say the best Kemba knee health on the Celts ? ALL of that and can we have beaten LA? I say yeah maybe we could. Maybe I’m crazy. But it’s why it bugs me we got no scoring threat to help the bench. I dunno. Danny and Brad are smarter than me. But I still see Brad’s not sticking up for team ( two crucial non challenges ) and either the players not respecting a pecking order of that there’s a pecking order I just don’t agree with.
  Eh. Lot of success. I think Brad certainly gets guys to play defense. That’s for sure. That communication gets across. Offensively I’m dumbfounded .
   I wonder if this past year’s team healthy plus a Danny big man help in draft ( at least a big that can switch if not shoot) and uses other picks , a future pick we can get a great bench guy .
  I’d absolutely love Justin Holiday on this team but he’s likely out of range of that tax payer mid level.