Author Topic: Kanter leaning to opting out?  (Read 3696 times)

Re: Kanter leaning to opting out?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If he opted out, it would solve a lot of salary cap problems.

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 10:02:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Good riddance

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kanter opting out would definitely be good for the Celtics, I'm just hard pressed to see him actually doing so. What makes him think he'll get more money or a larger role elsewhere?

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Kanter opting out would definitely be good for the Celtics, I'm just hard pressed to see him actually doing so. What makes him think he'll get more money or a larger role elsewhere?

I’m with you, but weak free agency class, maybe a chance to get more minutes elsewhere, get a few extra years on a contract, etc.. beats me.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Good riddance

Can't you save that for players who don't have excellent attitudes?   8)

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I actually hope Kanter pots out and signs a 3 year deal with us for less money. Something like $10mill in total. He needs stability and a sponsor for his naturalization process.
I assume he’s applied for asylum but having a stable sponsor for 3 years will help his case which can turn political and complicated.
I’m fine with him playing occasionally in the playoffs. He’s given his all. I also liked how he called out lebrons bull s on the Hong Kong debacle.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
 The off-season train is pulling up to Speculation Station, I see. Toot, Toot!

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 12:25:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/10/12/21513832/report-enes-kanter-most-likely-to-opt-out-boston-celtics-nba-free-agency

Whether you're fine with Kanter probably opting out or not (financially or opening up playing time for the Williams's), this seems to be a result of Stevens limiting his minutes during the playoffs.

Kanter was very productive and had a positive effect on the court almost everytime he was put in. Still Stevens didn't give him consistent minutes and even Ojeleye played more minutes than him.

Stevens just had no confidence in Kanter and instead went with small ball which caused exhaustion on our starters. From all the players that played more than one playoff round our starters where ranked as follows in minutes per game: Tatum (1), Brown (3), Smart (7), Walker (11) 

I hope Kanter finds a new home where his talents will be appreciated more and we'll all be screaming for bigs when our guys get overpowered in the post by Kanter again and again.

Agree, Agree, Agree.  Why did they sign Kanter if they weren't going to use him ?  Also, I noticed that Kanter remained a great teammate through the playoffs, always up off the bench celebrating big plays and encouraging teammates. His defensive deficiencies are all about lateral clumsiness. Sure are not about effort - the guy worked hard on the defensive end.

But in the end, Kanter was just too tall and played too close to the basket to suit Ainge & Stevens.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/10/12/21513832/report-enes-kanter-most-likely-to-opt-out-boston-celtics-nba-free-agency

Whether you're fine with Kanter probably opting out or not (financially or opening up playing time for the Williams's), this seems to be a result of Stevens limiting his minutes during the playoffs.

Kanter was very productive and had a positive effect on the court almost everytime he was put in. Still Stevens didn't give him consistent minutes and even Ojeleye played more minutes than him.

Stevens just had no confidence in Kanter and instead went with small ball which caused exhaustion on our starters. From all the players that played more than one playoff round our starters where ranked as follows in minutes per game: Tatum (1), Brown (3), Smart (7), Walker (11) 

I hope Kanter finds a new home where his talents will be appreciated more and we'll all be screaming for bigs when our guys get overpowered in the post by Kanter again and again.

Agree, Agree, Agree.  Why did they sign Kanter if they weren't going to use him ?  Also, I noticed that Kanter remained a great teammate through the playoffs, always up off the bench celebrating big plays and encouraging teammates. His defensive deficiencies are all about lateral clumsiness. Sure are not about effort - the guy worked hard on the defensive end.

But in the end, Kanter was just too tall and played too close to the basket to suit Ainge & Stevens.

Yeah...the short leash on our bigs bothered me.  I mean, if you're a confidant team you use the strengths of your team and ride with the weaknesses...Not just constantly react to the other team exploiting a weakness.  Trust that the strength of the player on offense and rebounding will balance the exploitation.  No rhythm for our bigs...constant shuffling to react to Miami.  Next year I'd like to have a big that can stay in the game for longer stretches.  So Stevens should tell Ainge who that player is so Ainge can try for somone who fits.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Did... did anyone bother to read the original source? Because I'm seeing a lot of stuff in this thread about how he's likely to move on because he's unhappy with his role when the actual write up paints a VERY different picture:

Kanter is happy in Boston and may even be willing to take on a more diminished role to stay [...] He has enjoyed his time in Boston and is hoping to find a multi-year deal to get some stability with his career.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 02:04:05 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Did... did anyone bother to read the original source? Because I'm seeing a lot of stuff in this thread about how he's likely to move on because he's unhappy with his role when the actual write up paints a VERY different picture:

Kanter is happy in Boston and may even be willing to take on a more diminished role to stay [...] He has enjoyed his time in Boston and is hoping to find a multi-year deal to get some stability with his career.
I didn’t read the article but that quote is exactly what I was saying in my post above

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kanter would be smart to get a multiyear deal if he can find one.  I feel like he probably has one more run with a new team getting paid more than the veteran minimum before teams decide he's not worth paying more than that because he's too much of a defensive liability to get playing time when it matters.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2020, 02:43:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
If he opted-out and signed a multi-year deal for slightly less AAV, I'd love that.

To be honest though I don't view Kanter as some sort of "priority" though. I love his attitude. But it's not a good sign that he apparently is unplayable against most of the East playoff teams (ex. Toronto). He's fine as depth and maybe for stretches off the bench.

Danny definitely needs to get a true big man this winter. I wouldn't even mind a Baynes reunion. Someone who you can actually play against most teams. Theis is alright but no way can he be the starting center on a championship team. Starting PF? Sure. Not at the 5. Timelord could still use another season to grow fully in terms of experience/skill.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd much rather have Baynes on a 1 or 2 year deal than lock up Kanter.

We've seen what Kanter can and cannot do in the Celtics' system. He's a decent piece to have against weaker opponents or during the regular season.  He'll be out of the rotation against anybody good.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2020, 06:13:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
I'd much rather have Baynes on a 1 or 2 year deal than lock up Kanter.

We've seen what Kanter can and cannot do in the Celtics' system. He's a decent piece to have against weaker opponents or during the regular season.  He'll be out of the rotation against anybody good.

if forced to choose I agree.  Especially as Baynes will be played given his defense and now shoots threes.  I would say the single most title asperationy thing the C's could do this offseason is make a trade that frees up enough money to pay Baynes what he's worth.  He knows the system and he's ready to go...