Author Topic: If we traded Brown for Butler, Where would we be right now?  (Read 3379 times)

Re: If we traded Brown for Butler, Where would we be right now?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 12:16:27 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Well you also have to realize that in a Butler trade, it would have cost Brown, AND either Smart/Crowder as well as a future 1st (which would have likely been a Brooklyn pick aka Tatum).

But yeah, I love Butler and have always been a fan. And he balled out in the bubble.
I’m not sure about that. Minnesota traded Lavigne and swapped picks 7 for 16. At the time Danny said they gave up “a lot” for butler!?! Lo
 but even then the package that Timberwolves sent was laughable to me.

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 01:16:40 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Well you also have to realize that in a Butler trade, it would have cost Brown, AND either Smart/Crowder as well as a future 1st (which would have likely been a Brooklyn pick aka Tatum).

But yeah, I love Butler and have always been a fan. And he balled out in the bubble.
I’m not sure about that. Minnesota traded Lavigne and swapped picks 7 for 16. At the time Danny said they gave up “a lot” for butler!?! Lo
 but even then the package that Timberwolves sent was laughable to me.

Why leave out Dunn? The Bulls were apparently very high on him, hence the rumors that we would take Dunn over Brown in the draft so we could trade for Butler.

Lavine, Dunn, and Lauri Markkanen is a pretty good haul for Butler and Justin Patton (who can't stick on an NBA roster)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 01:41:00 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Butler was a risk that didn't pay off for Philly, no reason to think it would have for Celtics.  Keeping the core together (Brown, and future picks) was the smart play.  Danny has assembled significant talent without having to tank.  I am happy with that.

The result is that we have assembled a lot of talent (Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, Hayward) but we don't have a balanced enough roster.  Making the final 4 is pretty good but to go farther, we are going to have to convert some of our assets into more size (skilled size).

I don't knock Ainge for what he has done so far.  Assembling the talent the way he did was the right thing to do.  Face it, Miami had good fortune with Herro and Adebayo and some other moves.  The Lakers got LeBron and Davis.  What can you do.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Butler in the '20 playoffs: 22-6-2 .514 eFG%
Brown in the '20 playoffs: 22-7-2 .550 eFG%

Obviously this isn't the entire story. Butler is the better creator but Brown is the better off-ball player which makes him the better fit next to Tatum, who is as good or better of a creator than Butler. And Brown is 8 years younger.

With Butler, there's probably still no Celtic championship but they don't have as bright of a future.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 02:17:49 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Butler in the '20 playoffs: 22-6-2 .514 eFG%
Brown in the '20 playoffs: 22-7-2 .550 eFG%

Obviously this isn't the entire story. Butler is the better creator but Brown is the better off-ball player which makes him the better fit next to Tatum, who is as good or better of a creator than Butler. And Brown is 8 years younger.

With Butler, there's probably still no Celtic championship but they don't have as bright of a future.
Butler is also getting paid 10M more than Brown each of the next 3 seasons.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Depends on when, the rest of the roster, what moves followed it, etc.

I mean are we talking about trading for Butler when we had the Brown pick (it was apparently offered with other pieces to Chicago at the 2016 trade deadline) or some time after that.  That changes the equation a great deal on what the team might look like today.  I mean if Butler was acquired after the 2016 season, a lot changes.  Maybe IT doesn't get hurt.  Maybe Danny pulls the trigger on Paul George trade.  Maybe Danny still acquires Irving and it just works out better.  Or maybe with Butler in tow, Ainge takes Fultz and doesn't make the trade for Tatum (unlikely, but who knows).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip